DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

His is different
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-image.jpg  
Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

I think this mod is not worth the hassle, at least until a better quality fob is available.
I had the same key and mine worked but the fob got very flimsy and then fell apart.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

their is a new key fob available, makes it look similar to a key of a bentley. the switch blade is to the side, and from the photos looks to be of better quality. it is more expensive at 60.00, and ontop of that key cutting, youll be looking at about 100.00 bucks in total
Old 05-03-2013, 10:36 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
their is a new key fob available, makes it look similar to a key of a bentley. the switch blade is to the side, and from the photos looks to be of better quality. it is more expensive at 60.00, and ontop of that key cutting, youll be looking at about 100.00 bucks in total
Do you have a link for that?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by roskinc
Link please ?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by mrdunu
I have just completed this mod (bought the key fob from the linked ebay site BMW 3 5 7 Series x5 x3 Z4 E38 E39 E46 M3 M5 Remote Key Fob Flip Conversion Case | eBay) and I must say, I'm half half about it:

a) I find that the unlock/lock buttons are VERY hard to press - it's as if its rock solid!
b) It seems like the key fob blade is not long enough. Whenever I attempt to twist the key to turn on the ignition, it seems as though the key does not make a good connection with the ignition as a result of black keyfob being too wide. As a result, I have to create what would be best described as an "L" like shape (as if I was closing the blade into the keyfob) so that the key fits in perfectly into the ignition, in order to start the car. Creating the "L" shape takes a little getting used to, but it's a tad bit annoying. If the blade was say 1mm or even 2mm longer, then there would be no issue.

Has anyone experienced any of the above two issues with their keyfobs?
Hi again,
So I got my blade key cut today and after multiple trials at the shop, the key will open my boot with ease, door with some pain (by keeping it in L-shape/half open-half closed shape). But I tried to turn the ignition on, without the electronic circuitry, and nothing happened.

I kept the original fob next to it, and tried to turn it, but it wont move at all.

Am I also unlucky, or do I need to move the circuitry to make this work. Thing is I dont want to pry open my diamond fob, if this wont work 100%.

Please advise.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:33 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by bym007
Hi again,
So I got my blade key cut today and after multiple trials at the shop, the key will open my boot with ease, door with some pain (by keeping it in L-shape/half open-half closed shape). But I tried to turn the ignition on, without the electronic circuitry, and nothing happened.

I kept the original fob next to it, and tried to turn it, but it wont move at all.

Am I also unlucky, or do I need to move the circuitry to make this work. Thing is I dont want to pry open my diamond fob, if this wont work 100%.

Please advise.
This won't work unless you put the circuit board in the new fob, I recommend you cut it neatly so if your new fob fall apart like mine did you can put your old key back together with some JB weld.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by dakest
This won't work unless you put the circuit board in the new fob, I recommend you cut it neatly so if your new fob fall apart like mine did you can put your old key back together with some JB weld.
Thanks for your input.
So whats the best way of cutting open the diamond fob ?
Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 PM
New Members

[QUOTE=bym007;1505180]Thanks for your input.
So whats the best way of cutting open the diamond fob ?[/QUOTE

A Dremel tool with a fine cutting disk or a hack saw blade, be careful not to go too deep and hit the circuit board.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
New Members

Thanks, I cut it open using a sharp Stanley and managed it without damaging anything inside. However after transferring the internal circuit to the new FOB, my key will not turn in the ignition. Even if I hold the old key next to it. The key is opening the trunk and door without a problem. The circuit is also active and electronically locking and unlocking is working fine from remote.

I am attaching a couple of pictures to show the keys.
Anyone got an idea what is stopping it?
Attached Thumbnails DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_20130511_225909.jpg   DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob-img_20130511_225835.jpg  

Quick Reply: DIY Changing Fob From Old Diamond Key To New Facelift Style Fob