Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I am saying good bye to my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 06:30 AM
RAI
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tcmalibu-

I don't think going to a M-B E class will be any improvement whatsoever. I had a 2003 E500, and it was undoubtedly the worst car I've ever owned in my life. Here's a partial list of some of the parts that had to be replaced: rear differential (twice), rear shocks (twice), radio, front headlight, rear taillight, central gateway computer, audio gateway computer, multiple software updates, etc. The worst thing, though, is that the car was a snooze on the road. If you want trouble-free driving, go Japanese. If you want the best driving car on the road, go BMW. M-B doesn't do either.

-RAI
Old 07-19-2005, 06:41 AM
Contributors

You know, I don't think any car is trouble free, however, I drove e classes for a pretty good spell and when I did have a problem - which were few - the dealer and its service people could not do enough to make me happy.

It's not just the car, it's all that goes with it and MB simply blows BMW away when it comes to treating their customers right!

BMW has really put themselves into a corner with the software issues-I mean it's a joke.

There is no doubt which car drives better, but is the drive that HUGE a difference between an E-Class. a 5'er, or an A6? For some it is, I suppose....

For me the differences are slight. Honestly I am a pain in the arse when it comes to the small things like creaks and rattles - they make me crazy. And having a BMW technician say he is going to 'fix' this with a can WD-40, just does not cut it - not on a car that stickers for $52,000.

I am not jumping yet...but I am thinking about it.

TC

Originally Posted by RAI' date='Jul 19 2005, 07:30 AM
tcmalibu-

I don't think going to a M-B E class will be any improvement whatsoever.? I had a 2003 E500, and it was undoubtedly the worst car I've ever owned in my life.? Here's a partial list of some of the parts that had to be replaced: rear differential (twice), rear shocks (twice), radio, front headlight, rear taillight, central gateway computer, audio gateway computer, multiple software updates, etc.? The worst thing, though, is that the car was a snooze on the road.? If you want trouble-free driving, go Japanese.? If you want the best driving car on the road, go BMW.? M-B doesn't do either.

-RAI
[snapback]150671[/snapback]
Old 07-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I think we all agree that it's not reliability - most of the gripes people have about these cars aren't due to faults that left the car truly undrivable. Rather, we are asking for perfection, and finding that there are many things that fall short. I'm no different in feeling that spending a given amount of money entitles me to a perfect driving experience. Is this realistic? Probably not.

I've got my short list of items, as I'm sure we all do. I personally believe the less time a dealer has my car the better it is for the car. Call it superstition or paranoia, but that's how I feel. I've been holding off on taking my car in for stuff so I can wait out the emergence of as many little issues as possible so they can take care of them all at once. We'll see if my plan is effective.

I shudder to think what it must be like for the people who live in parts of the world where these cars are insanely expensive...
Old 07-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Thank you all for your simpathy. Ice, I did not realize that today is my 1st anniversary here at the board. Looking back at my earlier posts before I got my car, asking newbie questions...etc really brings back memory.

I have contemplated in asking for a trade in assist, but my valve-slapping problem was deemed to be "Normal Valvetronic Characteristics" by FSE, so buying a 550i which have the same engine architecture will exhibit the same noises. Therefore, no assist was warranted, according to BMWNA and the dealer.

I still want to make the Sundays So. Cali meet, I don't think the car will fly out the window since there are so many other used 5'er for sale. But I also don't want to wait for the official debut of 550i in a month, this will kill my resale value even further.

I just called BMWNA and left a message to the same customer service advisor asking to speak with his advisor. I want to make sure I had explored every last option. I have already put my car for sale in magazine and online. I don't have much time left, so I have to do both simutaneously. Hopefully, BMWNA will do something miracleously for me to keep me in the brand or in this car.

My official days in service is about 22 days. 5 times out of 6 months since I took redelivery on Jan. 11th. I really need and want something more reliable to be happy. Am I asking too much?

I don't have anything against BMW's products, heck, I still think 5'er rocks. I also think my neighbor's golden retriever rocks, but I would never have it as my own.
I would most likely take a hard look at Infinity M45 or Mercedes CLS500. My wife cannot stand Lexus GS430, so this option is out. I've owned Audi A6 before (1999-2003) and its depreciation was way below peer, making it expensive to own.

That Honda Odyssey is looking mighty temping just about now

Old 07-19-2005, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 19 2005, 09:22 AM
I would most likely take a hard look at Infinity M45 or Mercedes CSL500.? My wife cannot stand Lexus GS430, so this option is out.? I've owned Audi A6 before (1999-2003) and its depreciation was way below peer, making it expensive to own.

[snapback]150693[/snapback]
Sorry to hear your story. BMW had better figure out its automatic transmission problems fast. Mine is in for a software upgrade/oil etc. Let's hope I see the car again.

I have to say the CLS500 would be awesome. Probably no better than fair reliability on that range of body at M-B these days, but it's a beautiful car. But more expensive than a 5-er, too. Get a Maxima 6-speed. Or a 300C SRT-8.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 19 2005, 11:22 AM

[snapback]150693[/snapback]
speedracer, I echo the sentiments here about the trouble you're having and wish that a better solution was available to you -- hopefully this next call to NA will give you some new avenue.

About that Odyssey, I'm not sure I'd give up my 545 for it but I can say, having owned a Touring model for a few months, it's quite impressive...

Good luck and keep up posted!!
Old 07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

speedracerF4i, is there a way for us to listen to the tapping noise you mentioned? Uploading the video you recorded perhaps?

What I don't understand is that if this tapping noise is so significant and "normal" in our engines (according to BMW), how come not all of us 545 owners have this problem? BMWNA should definitely do something about it and they shoudn't say it's "normal" if not all 545s do it.

I'm sorry that they won't resolve this issue for you.

I can tell you I have many little quirks about the car I have now, but so far (fingers crossed) I've been satisfied. There are so many minor little noises that go on when I drive my car, I've just gotten used to it. But one of them, I have to say, is not the diesel tapping.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:34 AM
Contributors

Yeah, sorry to hear about your woes! I've heard the CLS500 is not a great handler...and has niggling problems as well...though it is one beaut of a car! You wouldn't consider a 550 stick instead or SMG? Anyway...hope to see you on the drive...if not...good luck with whatever choice you make.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i , ED June 27th, Awaiting Redelivery

One thing you could also try is to post to the Vatkens' Heros thread on Bimmerfest, or send a PM to Vatkens directly.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Good luck, sorry to hear about your issues...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jul 19 2005, 10:10 AM
speedracerF4i, is there a way for us to listen to the tapping noise you mentioned?? Uploading the video you recorded perhaps??

What I don't understand is that if this tapping noise is so significant and "normal" in our engines (according to BMW), how come not all of us 545 owners have this problem?? BMWNA should definitely do something about it and they shoudn't say it's "normal" if not all 545s do it.?

I'm sorry that they won't resolve this issue for you.

I can tell you I have many little quirks about the car I have now, but so far (fingers crossed) I've been satisfied.? There are so many minor little noises that go on when I drive my car, I've just gotten used to it.? But one of them, I have to say, is not the diesel tapping.
[snapback]150714[/snapback]
The tapping noises are recorded in my miniDV. I can transfer the clip to my computer. But in order to post the clip, doesn't it has to be hosted?

Quick Reply: I am saying good bye to my 545i