Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

I am saying good bye to my 545i

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Well, after 6500 miles, I am selling my 545i So, I am saying good bye. I may still lurk around and share my opinion from time to time, hope you guys don't mind.

I ordered the car exactly a year ago and waited till Nov to pick up my car in Munich. The buying experience was fantastic, and the long wait to get the car back was a character building experience.

My problems started at 1500 miles when my SMG got replaced. At the same time, I reported a valve-tapping noise between 1700 RPM and 2300 RPM. It spent 14 days at the dealer for the SMG replacement, but the valve-tapping issue was declared not found.

I took the car back 2 months later, after finding out that there were other people in this board who had the same problem as I did. Armed with the printed Service bulletin SI B 11 02 05 recommened by other memebers, I eagerly showed it to the service manager. 2 days later, the dealer called saying that this bulletin does not encase my tapping problem. They test drove other cars and they also exhibited the same noise.

I called BMWNA to see if they knew this type of problem existed, but they said no. They recommeded calling the dealer to set up an appointment with Field Service Engineer to see if there was a fix. So I did. Another month passed before FSE looked at my car and found it normal to be driving with loud tapping noises. I found it odd that the car came back with almost identical mileage as when I left it at the dealer, which suggest that they did not test drive the car. I reported to them that the noise can only be heard under load.

I called BMWNA again and they told me to go to another dealer, and so I did. I stuffed a camera inside the engine bay and another one in the car to show that the noise was apparent and unbearable. The service manager agreed that the tapping noise was annoying and abnormal and promised to take a look. However, the car came back in 1 day because the new dealer called the old dealer for notes and elected not to work on my car. You guessed it, FSE said it was normal.

I called BMWNA again, I did not use a litigation tone of voice, but a "help me please" tone of voice. I only wanted my car to be fixed and not sound like a 1982 Mercedes diesel I said. They recognize that the tapping issue was irritating, but did not have a fix. I was sent off with a good luck and "hope your problem will fix itself in the future." That's when I couldn't take it and let them be awared that I may still have other recouse to fix this problem. They replied "You can do whatever it may pleases you, even if you decide to go with the legal road."

I can never win, so I give up and concede that there is no way I can keep enjoying my car. Therefore, farewell my friends. Good luck :'(

I am attaching some pictures so I can always comeback and revisit.
Attached Thumbnails I am saying good bye to my 545i-545_ineterior_side_view.jpg   I am saying good bye to my 545i-545_front_quarter_view.jpg   I am saying good bye to my 545i-545_steering_wheel.jpg  
Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, SpdRcr. This kind of story always making me have a doubt that my next car would be another BMW. Well, after selling your car, I suggest you buy GS430 like I'm thinking, too.
Performance + Fun << Reliability.
BMW, you need to look at the way you serve your customer. Is this called "BMW service"?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Tomorrow would be your first anniversary here on the forum...
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Sorry to hear about your problems. Not sure how many days your car was in the shop, but CA has pretty strong lemon laws--check here:
http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i silver

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Jul 18 2005, 07:26 PM
Well, after 6500 miles, I am selling my 545i? So, I am saying good bye.? .......I can never win, so I give up and concede that there is no way I can keep enjoying my car.? Therefore, farewell my friends.? Good luck :'(

I am attaching some pictures so I can always comeback and revisit.
[snapback]150461[/snapback]
I can't tell you how many times I have felt the same way. I wanted to (still contemplating the logistics) trade in my car. Before I got the software update I felt cheated out of my money because the car was completely unpredictable. Now I just feel like " This car isn't worth the aggrevation". Sure it drives great about 80% of the time now, but still the car isn't what it was when driving out of the dealership. The low rpm power and torque are virtually non existant after the software upgrade and now my bluetooth phone behaves erratic.

I may just go back to driving a honda. No Luxury No power No appeal and Most Importantly NO AGGREVATION , because everything works like it should and you never have to go to the dealer for more than an oil change.

I still like the car but not for $70,000. I guess the money factor makes me feel sour.

Glad I don't have engine problems, my problems have mainly been performance related.

Let me know what you buy instead of this car. I will be very interested.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Oh no are you serious? which dealers were you working with? Are you going to be at the meet on sunday? I'm interested in your problem and even hearing it. That sucks... whats next? M45?
Old 07-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"

Hate to see ya go. Maybe you should pursue a trade assist and get an ED 550i!

These e60's seem to be hit or miss sometimes.

My 545i has been hassle free thus far, knock on anthracite maple wood.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by 530iii' date='Jul 18 2005, 05:35 PM
Hate to see ya go. Maybe you should pursue a trade assist and get an ED 550i!

These e60's seem to be hit or miss sometimes.
[snapback]150484[/snapback]

I agree... what about talking to BMW NA for a trade assist?

I need to knock on wood for mine too... these things worry me.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Gosh,

Really sorry to hear about this SpdRcr. I'm one of the members who have yet to place an order on an E60. I *really* hate to hear about this sort of stuff. Scary, but true though.

Best of luck with your next vehicle. I hope your future auto pursuits are happier, and brighter. Please keep in touch.
-Tony
Old 07-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

sorry to hear your story :'( and agree with 530iii. give them one last chance and make sure they will do things wrong for you this time. if not, then trade for something else. good luck .

Quick Reply: I am saying good bye to my 545i