Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004 | 06:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 26 2004, 07:20 PM
i love you. I HATE YOU. i love you. I HATE YOU!

lol..

so..i can't believe it.. take pics of the i-drive... and do you have your service record from today that you can post here so i can show my dealer?

what specifically was done? and you say you have both working?
[snapback]49714[/snapback]
I will take photos tomorrow morning and post in the evening. I will get the service record from my dealer and post tomorrow.

The car was upgraded to the latest version of the software. I think 13.122. The technician did some software work to get the car set up for Bluetooth. He took my phone and synched it up. My Motorola V600 works great with the car.
Old 10-26-2004 | 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well after that detail, I don't see any real advantage to the BT phone over the CPT9000. Once they fix the issue with the automatic pairing, then maybe it'll be worth it but for now I guess I'll stick with the overpriced BMW v60.
Old 10-26-2004 | 06:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:37 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Oct 26 2004, 07:20 PM']i love you. I HATE YOU. i love you. I HATE YOU!

lol..

so..i can't believe it.. take pics of the i-drive... and do you have your service record from today that you can post here so i can show my dealer?

I will take photos tomorrow morning and post in the evening. I will get the service record from my dealer and post tomorrow.

The car was upgraded to the latest version of the software. I think 13.122. The technician did some software work to get the car set up for Bluetooth. He took my phone and synched it up. My Motorola V600 works great with the car.
[snapback]49724[/snapback]
[/quote]

how did it sound? both you and the person you spoke with? clear? perfect? volume?

Great, now I can't sleep tonight!!!!
Old 10-26-2004 | 06:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by tedmundson' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:35 AM
So is this a hardware and software upgrade or just software ? If it entails hardware please let me know how much hardware was? Thanks
[snapback]49481[/snapback]
Just software for my May 04 Build. It is my understanding that cars built prior to March 04 will require a new ECU? and wiring harness. Before they would add Bluetooth to my car, they sent the VIN to BMW to make sure that the software only approach would work with my car. The cost was $599. When I ordered my car I ordered the Bluetooth Option. Since the BT option would not work at the time of my car's production, I was not charged. I do not know if my car had any kind of no charge special prep. But I doubt it. I do not know the cost of the hardware upgrade.
Old 10-26-2004 | 06:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 26 2004, 08:41 PM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:37 PM'][quote name='wassy' date='Oct 26 2004, 07:20 PM']i love you. I HATE YOU. i love you. I HATE YOU!

lol..

[snapback]49724[/snapback]
[/quote]

how did it sound? both you and the person you spoke with? clear? perfect? volume?

Great, now I can't sleep tonight!!!!
[snapback]49728[/snapback]
[/quote]

It was fine, but not great. Not perfect. Volume was controlled by the volume control in the car. I also have "Jawbone" which is the best headset for a cell phone. "Jawbone" uses US Army technology for noise cancelling of background noise on both ends in tank to tank communication. It is widely regarded as the best headset for a cell phone. I was surprised that the sound quality was the same when I was in the same location inside my car. But both were contending with an average, 3 bars out of 5, signal. So the signal strength is the determing factor in sound quality.
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

Pharding ... So how does it feel to be the 1st person with Cutting Edge technology.. Now can you get either Sat or the AUX input connector problem solved...
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:08 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:55 PM
It was fine, but not great.? Not perfect.? Volume was controlled by the volume control in the car.? I also have "Jawbone" which is the best headset for a cell phone.? "Jawbone" uses US Army technology for noise cancelling of background noise on both ends in tank to tank communication.? It is widely regarded as the best headset for a cell phone.? I was surprised that the sound quality was the same when I was in the same location inside my car.? But both were contending with an average, 3 bars out of 5, signal.? So the signal strength is the determing factor in sound quality.
[snapback]49734[/snapback]

Don't understand "jawbone"... why are you using a headseat with BT in your car? also, as far as auto syncing, it certainly should do that.. on the V600, when you go to Connection, then Bluetooth Link, go to Setup.. make sure next to Power, it is ON.. seccond, go to device history... select the BMWxxxxx, and next to Access, it should be set to automatic.

this will give you auto syncs... and you should obviosuly have the phone powered before you get to the car!

when you say sound quality is OK, not great - can you expand?
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tedmundson' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:01 PM
Pharding ... So how does it feel to be the 1st person with Cutting Edge technology.. Now can you get either Sat or the AUX input connector problem solved...
[snapback]49735[/snapback]
It feels great, but my wife thinks that I went off the deep end with my car and e60.net. I can't help it. My 545 is absolutely awesome. I really enjoy it. Yesterday I test drove a Porsche Carrera for the fun of it while I was waiting at the dealership. The Porsche is great car, but my 545 is very, very similar to its feel plus the 545 is much more practical. I came away with a deeper appreciation for my e60. Next I want to get my new Valentine 1 hardwired into my car. I am mulling the possibility of getting a laser deflector for my car. I also want to get Sat Radio next using the shark fin. I do not want that stupid black hockey puck antenna on my beautiful e60. Hopefully BMW can get the Sat Radio to work for us.
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:26 PM
Senior Members

pharding, from what you said, it sounds like you have to pair the phone each and every time you get into the car with BT? is that correct? wouldn't that become a pain. Are you sure that it can't be automatic? I thought that was the way they all worked? Is it a phone issue or a vehicle issue?

So my car built in May should be able to have bluetooth retrofitted then correct?

Did they give you any indication about cars with NAV wanting to get Sat. radio installed? (those after March were not allowed to get sat. prep. at all).
Old 10-26-2004 | 07:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:08 PM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 26 2004, 09:55 PM']It was fine, but not great.? Not perfect.? Volume was controlled by the volume control in the car.? I also have "Jawbone" which is the best headset for a cell phone.? "Jawbone" uses US Army technology for noise cancelling of background noise on both ends in tank to tank communication.? It is widely regarded as the best headset for a cell phone.? I was surprised that the sound quality was the same when I was in the same location inside my car.? But both were contending with an average, 3 bars out of 5, signal.? So the signal strength is the determing factor in sound quality.
[snapback]49734[/snapback]

Don't understand "jawbone"... why are you using a headseat with BT in your car? also, as far as auto syncing, it certainly should do that.. on the V600, when you go to Connection, then Bluetooth Link, go to Setup.. make sure next to Power, it is ON.. seccond, go to device history... select the BMWxxxxx, and next to Access, it should be set to automatic.

this will give you auto syncs... and you should obviosuly have the phone powered before you get to the car!

when you say sound quality is OK, not great - can you expand?
[snapback]49738[/snapback]
[/quote]

I used the "jawbone" headset to compare and evaluate the the audio qaulity of my Motorola V600 synched to my car via Bluetooth. My BT comments were with the V600 used as designed by BMW without the headset. My 01 530 had the Motorola Timeport in a cradle hardwired to the antenna on the top of the rear windshield. It was a BMW aftermarket accessory. It's sound quality was somewhat better than what experienced using Bluetooth. But the Timeport got to the point where the Cingular network made it obsolete. Anyway I am satisfied my V600 synched to my e60 via bluetooth. It is all about trade-offs. The perfect solution does not exist yet.

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday