Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004 | 04:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:28 PM
The voice commands are great.? Dial number and dial name are two commands that I use often and work quite well.
[snapback]50189[/snapback]
Rudy,
Does your "Dial name" command works from the phonebook on the cell phone or do you have to do a "Save name" first on the car in order to be able to "Dial name"?

My CPT9000/car do not looks for the names on the cell phone phonebook, if I want to use the "Dial name" command, I first have to save it on the car phonebook. When I use the "Phonebook" command, it list the names that I've saved with voice command.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the performance of my CPT9000 and the cell phone signal/reception is one of the best I've ever seen.
Old 10-28-2004 | 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Oct 28 2004, 07:37 AM
[quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:41 PM']Who makes the CPT9000 and where can I get it.? Is it available for Cingular?
[snapback]50198[/snapback]
Do a search on ebay for "CPT9000", basically it is a Motorola V60i phone available for GSM, TDMA and CDMA networks.
[snapback]50290[/snapback]
[/quote]

It is a V60s for Verizon in NJ, not the i.
Old 10-28-2004 | 08:45 AM
Contributors

Wiu-Bimmer:
I am with you, I have to "Save Name" first before I can have the voice command dial it. A small pain but the whole system works like a charm.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i (steptronic), silver, grey leather , active cruise control, active steering, xenon headlights , glass sunroof, navigation , voice command, logic 7, cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, garage door opener, fold down rear seats, sport suspension, lighted BMW in all door frames, GPS tracking device.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:22 PM
and here is the other one --------->

SI B 84 16 03
Phone, Navigation Systems September 2003
Service Engineering

Load Graphics

SUBJECT
BMW Universal Bluetooth? Hands-Free System Pairing Difficulties

MODEL
E39 (5 Series) Sedan from 3/02

E39 (5 Series) Sport Wagon from 9/02

E46 (3 Series) Sedan & Sport Wagon from 3/02

E53 (X5) from 4/02

SITUATION
When performing the initial handset pairing (using the "Pairing" button) on a vehicle, the procedure cannot be initiated.

CAUSE
Not able to initiate the pairing procedure via the "Pairing" button

PROCEDURE
If the above situation occurs the initial pairing can be activated via the DISPlus/GT1.

[8403U143.JPG]
At the Control Unit mask perform an individual short test on the "ULF Universal and hands-free facility" control module from the list.

[8403U144.JPG]
Select "ULF Universal charging and hands-free facility" from the "Control Units" column.

[8403U145.JPG]
Select "Component activation" from the "Functions" column.

[8403U147.JPG]
Select "Start Bluetooth recognition mode" from the "Part functions" column and press the "Activate" button.

After the "Activate" button is selected, the red, yellow and green LED's will be flashing on the Multi Information Display (MID) or Board Monitor Display. On an E46, the radio will display "BT Pairing".

Follow the instructions supplied with the handset Owner's Manual to finish the BT Pairing procedure.

For further information refer to SI B84 11 03 BMW Universal Bluetooth? Hands-Free System Owner's Manual

[ Copyright ? 2003 BMW of North America, LLC ]
[snapback]50118[/snapback]
First I would like to thank everybody for the very helpful infrmation.
As son as I go to comunication settings and then Phone it tells me Please contact BMW service.
I am not sure what to do next.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 28 2004, 06:51 AM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 28 2004, 04:11 AM']I am going to do talk with the BMW Service Manager and see what ideas that he has to improve the sound quality.? I saw a post on the X5 Board at RF which documented improved sound quality by re-coding the UHF Module according to the BT Installation Instructions.? I have no idea if we even have a UHF Module in our e60s.? I may have the cradle installed which will have some impact on audio quality because the antenna will be better.? I am also going over to the local Cingular Store to see if they can do a firmware upgrade to improve the sound quality.? I intend to pursue looking for ways to improve the sound quality before I pursue another course of action.? The sound quality is usable but not very good.? Meanwhile others may have BT installed in their e60 and they can provide input.
[snapback]50238[/snapback]
Pharding - as a partner in an architectural Firm, you must be quite busy.. Save your time. Trust me.. firmware on the phone won't help since it is the BMW ULF that converts the sounds and reproduces them. As for re-coding the car.. recoding is really only necessary on older cars, but worth a shot. I went through the BT thing with my 2004, and even had the most recent ULF module flown in from Germany (it was 5 generations newer than what the US dealers had)... It made such a minor difference, if at all, I wondered why I went through the trouble.

the shark fin antenna will do NOTHING, repeat NOTHING for sound quality.. once the call is connected, 2 bars, 3,4,5, it is the same quality.. it is when you get to one bar and start losing signal that it becomes an issue.. and by the way, the portable antennas are nearly as strong as that on the car.. There is no more a perfectionist then me, and I've done all this.. Believe me, save your time, and your money.

I promise you, as newer software upgrades come out from BMW, some will have improvements to the bluetooth coding.

As for the Cradle - let's talk about how inconvenient it is.. it is buried under an armrest, so you flip up the armrest... pretty cool to show your friends though, right... then, you must turn your body to the right, so you can extend your arm to either place the phone in, or snap it out of the cradle... put the armrest back down.. then do it all again when you are leaving the car? make no sense..

take a look at http://www.kuda-phonebase.com/home.htm and follow along to telphone consoles.. you can mount professionaly your phone in front of you, easy access, hard wired, etc.. and still pretty darn good looking. Iam holding off for a better BT solution with BMW, myself..

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
[snapback]50271[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Oct 28 2004, 01:53 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Oct 28 2004, 06:51 AM'][quote name='pharding' date='Oct 28 2004, 04:11 AM']I am going to do talk with the BMW Service Manager and see what ideas that he has to improve the sound quality.? I saw a post on the X5 Board at RF which documented improved sound quality by re-coding the UHF Module according to the BT Installation Instructions.? I have no idea if we even have a UHF Module in our e60s.? I may have the cradle installed which will have some impact on audio quality because the antenna will be better.? I am also going over to the local Cingular Store to see if they can do a firmware upgrade to improve the sound quality.? I intend to pursue looking for ways to improve the sound quality before I pursue another course of action.? The sound quality is usable but not very good.? Meanwhile others may have BT installed in their e60 and they can provide input.
[snapback]50238[/snapback]
Pharding - as a partner in an architectural Firm, you must be quite busy.. Save your time. Trust me.. firmware on the phone won't help since it is the BMW ULF that converts the sounds and reproduces them. As for re-coding the car.. recoding is really only necessary on older cars, but worth a shot. I went through the BT thing with my 2004, and even had the most recent ULF module flown in from Germany (it was 5 generations newer than what the US dealers had)... It made such a minor difference, if at all, I wondered why I went through the trouble.

the shark fin antenna will do NOTHING, repeat NOTHING for sound quality.. once the call is connected, 2 bars, 3,4,5, it is the same quality.. it is when you get to one bar and start losing signal that it becomes an issue.. and by the way, the portable antennas are nearly as strong as that on the car.. There is no more a perfectionist then me, and I've done all this.. Believe me, save your time, and your money.

I promise you, as newer software upgrades come out from BMW, some will have improvements to the bluetooth coding.

As for the Cradle - let's talk about how inconvenient it is.. it is buried under an armrest, so you flip up the armrest... pretty cool to show your friends though, right... then, you must turn your body to the right, so you can extend your arm to either place the phone in, or snap it out of the cradle... put the armrest back down.. then do it all again when you are leaving the car? make no sense..

take a look at http://www.kuda-phonebase.com/home.htm and follow along to telphone consoles.. you can mount professionaly your phone in front of you, easy access, hard wired, etc.. and still pretty darn good looking. Iam holding off for a better BT solution with BMW, myself..

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
[snapback]50271[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]50383[/snapback]
[/quote]

wassey:

Besides Bluetooth not being ready for prime time voice quality, others have said that the "functionality was excellent". Are there any differences or features with BT that you know about?

Maybe software or display differences with the new Bluetooth setup?
Old 10-28-2004 | 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:16 PM
I just tried to connect a Blackberry RIM device 7290 to my 2005 545.? I was able to get both the phone and vehicle to recognize each other.? I have had a problem though.? Once I go to the phone menu in Comunications, the BMW keeps asking to "Please Activate Phone".?

Has anyone tried this phone and gotten it to work.? I might try to take it to the dealer tomorow.
[snapback]50134[/snapback]
Asking my questions again, just incase someone didn't read this. I am trying to find a phone which will work? I was hoping the Blackberry would since my company uses a Blackberry server for e-mail. I could try the Treo650 when it comes out in 3 weeks.
Old 10-28-2004 | 11:57 AM
Members

pharding -
just wondering if you can elaborate a bit on the comparative difference between the BMW BT voice quality and your experience with the BT enabled headsets. I guess I am wondering if (as wassy suggests) the weak link is the BMW BT software, or if it is a general BT limitation?

I've contacted my dealer about the retrofit, but they heard the word "Bluetooth" and have gone back into bunker mode!
Old 10-28-2004 | 12:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

Two days and my dealer still can't tell me if this can be done and I have supplied him with all docs...
Old 10-28-2004 | 02:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Buster' date='Oct 28 2004, 01:57 PM
pharding -
just wondering if you can elaborate a bit on the comparative difference between the BMW BT voice quality and your experience with the BT enabled headsets.? I guess I am wondering if (as wassy suggests) the weak link is the BMW BT software, or if it is a general BT limitation?

I've contacted my dealer about the retrofit, but they heard the word "Bluetooth" and have gone back into bunker mode!
[snapback]50404[/snapback]
I will do a test tonight when I get home using my car with BT and my BT headset to check voice quality in a call to my home.

The BMW service manger at Motor Werks said that they did another Bluetooth Upgrade on an 04 5er. He said that the audio quality is the same as mine. He is not aware of anything that they can do to improve it further right now. He is optimistic that BMW will improve it eventually. He will look possible improvements as BMW rolls them out.

According to my employees the audio quality with BT is 5 on a 10 point scale. My previous hardwired BMW phone with antenna was an 8 on that scale according to them. The convenience and usability of the Bluetooth phone is great.

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday