Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004 | 02:02 AM
Senior Members

Someone needs to test the 2005 side by side with 2004 and see if there is any difference. It might give us some idea whether it is a software issue. I suspect that it is a microphone distance/quality issue. As someone stated - how do we know what the Assist people here.

I for one (If I get my car back) plan on using the speaker phone in the car for short calls and switch to my headset for longer calls. People say the headset is great - just the $80 model with v710.

Has anyone gotten the v710 to work with bluetooth...?
Old 10-29-2004 | 03:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 28 2004, 10:11 PM
[quote name='Buster' date='Oct 28 2004, 01:57 PM']pharding -
just wondering if you can elaborate a bit on the comparative difference between the BMW BT voice quality and your experience with the BT enabled headsets.? I guess I am wondering if (as wassy suggests) the weak link is the BMW BT software, or if it is a general BT limitation?

I've contacted my dealer about the retrofit, but they heard the word "Bluetooth" and have gone back into bunker mode!
[snapback]50404[/snapback]
Test Results BMW Bluetooth in e60 versus Motorola Bluetooth Headset

I drove to a location where I got a strong signal, 5 bars out of 5, pulled to the side of the street. I called my wife with my V600 with a Bluetooth connection to the car. My voice quality to my wife sounded distorted. She said 7 on a 10 point scale, with 10 being equal to good quality wired telephone with a good connection. Next I called with my Motorola top end Bluetooth headset, sitting in the car in the same location. She said that the voice quality was 10 on a 10 point scale. You would expect it to be better in part because with a headset you have a microphone 3 inches from my mouth. Also the car BT set-up by design must work significant ambient noise and the microphone is not as close to your mouth. The problem is not Bluetooth Technology itself or the Motorola V600 phone, but it appears that it is the BMW Bluetooth hardware and/or software. However this test says to me that it should be possible for BMW to improve the audio quality so that BMW BT phone system could become equal to the current CPT 9000. BMW listens to legitimate technical issues voiced by its clientele. I am confident that if enough people ask for Bluetooth with Excellent Audio Quality that BMW will address this issue.

Commentary on the Features, User Interface, Look and Feel of the BT Option

The user interface, ease of use, and feauture set are all excellent. The BT option is simply a joy to use. Obviously it is the future direction of automotive cell phone technology.

What I Am Going to Do

I like the technology a lot so I am willing right now to continue to use the BMW BT option as it is and wait for future BMW improvements to voice quality. As I said earlier the optimal solution does not exist at present, right now this all about trade-offs. But we have reason to be excited about the future.
[snapback]50542[/snapback]
[/quote]

Pharding - just out of curiosity, because this was a persistent issue even with my wired system ... check something for me.... are you center A/C vents pointing UP. If they are, move them so the airflow is going DOWN or straight at you.. if the air is blowing into the MIC, it will severly distort your voice.

the other side to your assesment is incoming voice clarity.. you've talked about your wife and co-workers listening to you, but how do they sound to you? same as the Assist people?

when I call assist, they were clear as day! rather impressive... and they never once asked me to repeat myself.. I think the quality there is better... also, don't forget, Asssit is a hardwired solution, not bluetooth.. completely different ballgame!

speaking of ballgame, maybe the BMW bluetooth system is possesed by the curse of the BABE!!!!
Old 10-29-2004 | 03:55 AM
Contributors

How about our friends in the UK, Germany, etc - haven't heard much from you guys regarding BT, and you have it..

how is it over there?
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 29 2004, 12:55 PM
How about our friends in the UK, Germany, etc - haven't heard much from you guys regarding BT, and you have it..

how is it over there?
[snapback]50645[/snapback]
Hi Wassy

I had a loaner 525 with bluetooth for a couple of days. The incoming sound was nice and clear, but people I spoke to did complain that my voice seemed to have an "underwater" aspect to it, and I did have to repeat myself on a few occasions.

The integration with i-drive was marvellous though, as several posters have remarked.

I'm using Visorcom third party bluetooth in my own car. This works very well, albeit without the wonderful integration.
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:37 AM
Members

FYI, my dealer in NJ is testing the BT fix on one of their cars and if it works they will do mine next. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Anyone else make any progess besides pharding?
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

ZC Please let me know what dealer your using hear in NJ ? If you want PM me... Thanks
Old 10-29-2004 | 04:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 28 2004, 11:20 PM
[quote name='Buster' date='Oct 28 2004, 10:12 PM']Test Results BMW Bluetooth in e60 versus Motorola Bluetooth Headset

I drove to a location where I got a strong signal, 5 bars out of 5, pulled to the side of the street.? I called my wife with my V600 with a Bluetooth connection to the car.? My voice quality to my wife sounded distorted.? She said 7 on a 10 point scale, with 10 being equal to good quality wired telephone with a good connection.? Next I called with my Motorola top end Bluetooth headset, sitting in the car in the same location.? She said that the voice quality was 10 on a 10 point scale.? You would expect it to be better in part because with a headset you have a microphone 3 inches from my mouth.? Also the car BT set-up by design must work significant ambient noise and the microphone is not as close to your mouth.? The problem is not Bluetooth Technology itself or the Motorola V600 phone, but it appears that it is the BMW Bluetooth hardware and/or software.? However this test says to me that it should be possible for BMW to improve the audio quality so that BMW BT phone system could become equal to the current CPT 9000.? BMW listens to legitimate technical issues voiced by its clientele.? I am confident that if enough people ask for Bluetooth with Excellent Audio Quality that BMW will address this issue.

The sound quality for the hardwired Assist feature is very good so I don't think its the hardware/mic location.? Seems like wassy's assessment was right on, but I guess none of us should be shocked at the weak BMW software at this point.?

Many thanks to the wife
[snapback]50573[/snapback]
Buster, how do you know, unless you have been listening at the Assist help desk.
I think the audio quality of the BT through the speakers is OK too. Its what the other person hears. Pharding didn't complain about the sound of his employees, they complained about the way he sounded.
[snapback]50576[/snapback]
[/quote]

That is a correct assessment. With BMW Bluetooth and the V600, the other person sounds fine to me. For some reason with BMW Bluetooth the sound coming in is fine and the sound going out is problematic.
Old 10-29-2004 | 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Anyone wondering if this thread will ever catch up to the Singapore thread?
Old 10-29-2004 | 05:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 29 2004, 07:55 AM
That is a correct assessment.? With BMW Bluetooth and the V600, the other person sounds fine to me.? For some reason with BMW Bluetooth the sound coming in is fine and the sound going out is problematic.
[snapback]50653[/snapback]

I wonder if it isn't as simply as replacing the MIC... there was a problem with older mic's a couple years ago... maybe ask your dealer to check to see if the mic for Assist is the same as BT, and if not, see if he can use the Assist mic for BT... that might be the culprit..

Logically, if the sound going out is poor... it MUST be the mic. PERIOD!
Old 10-29-2004 | 06:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Oct 29 2004, 03:02 AM
Someone needs to test the 2005 side by side with 2004 and see if there is any difference. It might give us some idea whether it is a software issue. I suspect that it is a microphone distance/quality issue. As someone stated - how do we know what the Assist people here.

I for one (If I get my car back) plan on using the speaker phone in the car for short calls and switch to my headset for longer calls. People say the headset is great - just the $80 model with v710.

Has anyone gotten the v710 to work with bluetooth...?
[snapback]50634[/snapback]

When will you get your car back? Any chance today or Saturday. I would like to hear your results.

1. Because you have a MY05
2. You will attempt you pair your V710

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday