Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004 | 06:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

How easy is it to switch from the car pairing to the headset pairing? This is also key for functionality.

1. You use the car to receive and place calls, then put on the headset to talk.
2. You have passengers in the car and need privacy.
3. An interim solution until the problem is resolved.

It just could be the MIC. I know there are two mics in the car. One for Voice activation and one for the phone. Maybe they are using the wrong one.
Old 10-29-2004 | 07:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 29 2004, 07:55 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 28 2004, 11:20 PM'][

Buster,? how do you know,? unless you have been listening at the Assist help desk.
I think the audio quality of the BT through the speakers is OK too.? Its what the other person hears.? Pharding didn't complain about the sound of his employees,? they complained about the way he sounded.
[snapback]50576[/snapback]
That is a correct assessment. With BMW Bluetooth and the V600, the other person sounds fine to me. For some reason with BMW Bluetooth the sound coming in is fine and the sound going out is problematic.
[snapback]50653[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yep, I wrongly assumed the outgoing sound was as good as in coming Assist. I just remember being impressed by my sales rep sitting in the back seat when we called to set up Assist.

If it is the mic, I wonder if it is mounted at the proper angle. Could it be that coutgoing voice is degraded as a result of your voice bouncing off the windshield and then into the mic? I have not looked at the mic carefully, but perhaps a minor adjustment might make a difference?
Old 10-29-2004 | 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Possible Solution to Improving Audio Quality for BMW Consideration

The problem clearly has to do the apprppriate volume settings for speaking on the phone, listening on the phone, and listening to music. These settings are not set correctly by BMW. My employees have complained about how loud I am when I talk to them using BMW Bluetooth. This morning I pulled off the street at a location with a strong signal. I wanted to see what the appropriate volume would be for the other party. The ideal volume setting, controlled by the cars volume control, for the person at the other end of the phone is very low. If I set the volume at the ideal setting for the other party, I can barely hear them when the car is parked with no ambient noise. At this setting they claim that the audio quality is 9 on a ten point scale, with ten being a quality office telephone with an excellent connection. This equal to the audio quality of my hard wired BMW Motorola Phone in my 01 530. Unfortunately at this level I can just barely hear them when the car is parked. I would never use this volume setting when the car is parked . It is way too low. The other consideration is that the stereo system at this volume setting, even when parked is way too low. I never listen to the stereo at this low level. Generally when I make and receive calls I have the stereo set at the appropriate level for listening enjoyment. I do not change the volume for phone calls typically. This volume level with ambient noise when I drive is way too high for telephone calls for the other party. It would seem to me to me that the interplay between these volume requirements needs adjusted. Undoubtedly this could be fixed with software changes by BMW.
Old 10-29-2004 | 07:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 29 2004, 10:19 AM
Possible Solution to Improving Audio Quality for BMW Consideration

The problem clearly has to do the apprppriate volume settings for speaking on the phone, listening on the phone, and listening to music.? These settings are not set correctly by BMW.? My employees have complained about how loud I am when I talk to them using BMW Bluetooth.? This morning I pulled off the street at a location with a strong signal.? I wanted to see what the appropriate volume would be for the other party.? The ideal volume setting, controlled by the cars volume control, for the person at the other end of the phone is very low.? If I set the volume at the ideal setting for the other party, I can barely hear them when the car is parked with no ambient noise.? At this setting they claim that the audio quality is 9 on a ten point scale, with ten being a quality office telephone with an excellent connection.? This equal to the audio quality of my hard wired BMW Motorola Phone in my 01 530.? Unfortunately at this level I can just barely hear them when the car is parked.? I would never use this volume setting when the car is parked .? It is way too low.? The other consideration is that the stereo system at this volume setting, even when parked is way too low.? I never listen to the stereo at this low level.? Generally when I make and receive calls I have the stereo set at the appropriate level for listening enjoyment.? I do not change the volume for phone calls typically.? This volume level with ambient noise when I drive is way too high for telephone calls for the other party.? It would seem to me to me that the interplay between these volume requirements needs adjusted.? Undoubtedly this could be fixed by software by BMW.
[snapback]50693[/snapback]
Is it possible the voice volume setting on your V600 is the cause? I just checked my and it is on 7 - the hightest [default] setting?
Old 10-29-2004 | 08:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tedmundson' date='Oct 29 2004, 07:39 AM
ZC Please let me know what dealer your using hear in NJ ? If you want PM me... Thanks
[snapback]50651[/snapback]
DeSimone in Marlton NJ will do it. 856-983-8400 ask for Bob Niagra, Service Manager.

I'm waiting for Verizon to fix the OPEX BT profile in the V710. November they say now.
Old 10-29-2004 | 08:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Buster' date='Oct 29 2004, 09:57 AM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 29 2004, 10:19 AM']Possible Solution to Improving Audio Quality for BMW Consideration

The problem clearly has to do the apprppriate volume settings for speaking on the phone, listening on the phone, and listening to music.? These settings are not set correctly by BMW.? My employees have complained about how loud I am when I talk to them using BMW Bluetooth.? This morning I pulled off the street at a location with a strong signal.? I wanted to see what the appropriate volume would be for the other party.? The ideal volume setting, controlled by the cars volume control, for the person at the other end of the phone is very low.? If I set the volume at the ideal setting for the other party, I can barely hear them when the car is parked with no ambient noise.? At this setting they claim that the audio quality is 9 on a ten point scale, with ten being a quality office telephone with an excellent connection.? This equal to the audio quality of my hard wired BMW Motorola Phone in my 01 530.? Unfortunately at this level I can just barely hear them when the car is parked.? I would never use this volume setting when the car is parked .? It is way too low.? The other consideration is that the stereo system at this volume setting, even when parked is way too low.? I never listen to the stereo at this low level.? Generally when I make and receive calls I have the stereo set at the appropriate level for listening enjoyment.? I do not change the volume for phone calls typically.? This volume level with ambient noise when I drive is way too high for telephone calls for the other party.? It would seem to me to me that the interplay between these volume requirements needs adjusted.? Undoubtedly this could be fixed by software by BMW.
[snapback]50693[/snapback]
Is it possible the voice volume setting on your V600 is the cause? I just checked my and it is on 7 - the hightest [default] setting?
[snapback]50709[/snapback]
[/quote]

Thanks. My volume is set on 7, the highest. I'll drive back to the site of my recent test and try again by adjusting the volume on my V600. I'll post the results in three hours.
Old 10-29-2004 | 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:33 AM
[quote name='300TTto545' date='Oct 29 2004, 03:02 AM']Someone needs to test the 2005 side by side with 2004 and see if there is any difference. It might give us some idea whether it is a software issue. I suspect that it is a microphone distance/quality issue. As someone stated - how do we know what the Assist people here.

I for one (If I get my car back) plan on using the speaker phone in the car for short calls and switch to my headset for longer calls. People say the headset is great - just the $80 model with v710.

Has anyone gotten the v710 to work with bluetooth...?
[snapback]50634[/snapback]

When will you get your car back? Any chance today or Saturday. I would like to hear your results.

1. Because you have a MY05
2. You will attempt you pair your V710
[snapback]50675[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have a 2005 and have not been sucessful with integration. I have only tried one phone at this time, the Blackberry 7290. I am in Orange County if anyone want to try, let me know. Always looking for a good excuse to go for a drive and meet other E60 owners.
Old 10-29-2004 | 08:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Oct 29 2004, 10:09 AM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:33 AM'][quote name='300TTto545' date='Oct 29 2004, 03:02 AM']Someone needs to test the 2005 side by side with 2004 and see if there is any difference. It might give us some idea whether it is a software issue. I suspect that it is a microphone distance/quality issue. As someone stated - how do we know what the Assist people here.

I for one (If I get my car back) plan on using the speaker phone in the car for short calls and switch to my headset for longer calls. People say the headset is great - just the $80 model with v710.

When will you get your car back? Any chance today or Saturday. I would like to hear your results.

[/quote]

I have a 2005 and have not been sucessful with integration. I have only tried one phone at this time, the Blackberry 7290. I am in Orange County if anyone want to try, let me know. Always looking for a good excuse to go for a drive and meet other E60 owners.
[snapback]50721[/snapback]
[/quote]

The Blackberry is not on the list prepared by BMW of compatible phones. Please see a previous post by pharding with the attached BMW document.
Old 10-29-2004 | 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Test Results

The phone volume control has no bearing whatsover on the volume heard by the person at the other end. I tried my V600 with volume set at 7 and 2. It made no difference at all. The mediocre audio quality is a BMW volume problem that can be fixed with software changes.

Also I am hoping that a BMW cradle will allow my cell phone, Motorola V600, to use the shark fin antenna. That would also improve the audio qaulity. Motor Werks is looking into this right now. If this is not possible, ideally BMW would find a way to enable Bluetooth and provide a plug connection into a Bluetooth phone so that one could take advantage of the cars shark fin antenna. I don't need a cradle, I just need access to the car's antenna for the strongest signal possible.

Why are both, Bluetooth and a wired connection to the shark fin antenna, desirable? With this approach we are not stuck with cell phones that become obsolete with time and we take advantage of the car's shark fin antenna for optimal signal strength. The CPT9000 phone is obsolete already. My BMW Timeport phone was useless before my lease was up. My expensive integrated phone option was worthless before my lease was up. Also, very importantly, in the US we need the best signal possible. The only way to get that is a hard wired plug that will connect the cell phone to the shark fin antenna. BMW European engineers may not understand the importance of this. The US cell phone system is currently inferior to the European cell phone sytem. In July 04 my calls from Europe to my office, using my same Motorola V600 outside of my car, were much better and much clearer than comparable calls in the US.
Old 10-29-2004 | 12:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 29 2004, 08:33 AM
[quote name='300TTto545' date='Oct 29 2004, 03:02 AM']Someone needs to test the 2005 side by side with 2004 and see if there is any difference. It might give us some idea whether it is a software issue. I suspect that it is a microphone distance/quality issue. As someone stated - how do we know what the Assist people here.

The chance of that is zero. I am going to be faced with a decision of whether or not to keep my car as the repair will take long enough to be a lemon in my state (I think). It has been 8 days and the latest is that they will call me early next week for a date estimate. The computer is backordered (with 140-160 on backorder). JDN has been waiting 25 days and still waiting. The lemon law in NC states that if the car is out of your possession due to repairs for 20 business days in the first year it would qualify as a lemon.

I have been looking at an RL (boring looks and probably boring drive), Jag coupe - never driven, or just go down market and get a TL - at least then I know that the v710 will work......
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday