Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004 | 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

This Bodes Well for Future Improvements to BMW Bluetooth Technology

BMW ANNOUNCES BLUETOOTH AVAILABILITY FOR THE 2005 MODEL YEAR

October 28th, 2004, Woodcliff Lake, NJ? Today BMW offered its second major in-car communication/entertainment initiative for the 2005 model year. Following its announcement about the availability of Sirius satellite radio as a factory-installed option, BMW announced the availability of Bluetooth for nearly all 2005 model BMWs, providing a new standard of convenience for in-car hands-free calling.

What is Bluetooth?
Bluetooth provides a wireless connection between select compatible cell phones and the vehicle for hands-free calling. With a compatible Bluetooth cell phone drivers can place calls, answer calls and select numbers from the phonebook by simply using the multi-function steering wheel or dashboard controls.

How does it work?
Bluetooth equipped vehicles are shipped fully activated, requiring no further activation or installation. All that is required is a compatible Bluetooth phone. The owner must complete an initial pairing procedure in order to create a private wireless connection between phone and vehicle. This is only required once, all subsequent connections occur automatically. Up to four pairings may be held in memory.

Which vehicles come with Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is standard equipment on the 2005 5 and 6 Series models as well as the M3 Convertible and X5 4.8is. It is included in all other vehicles equipped with BMW Assist or a Premium Package. It is not offered on the 7 Series, which comes standard with a fully integrated portable cell phone. Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth. Consult a BMW center for specific availability.

Which phones are compatible?
In order to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction BMW tests all available Bluetooth phones on the market. Only after a phone passes a variety of compatibility tests is it approved. Therefore not all available Bluetooth phones are compatible with BMW?s Bluetooth option. BMW centers will have a complete list of all approved phones for every major cellular service provider.
Old 10-31-2004 | 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 31 2004, 08:22 AM

October 28th, 2004, Woodcliff Lake, NJ? Today BMW offered its second major in-car communication/entertainment initiative for the 2005 model year. Following its announcement about the availability of Sirius satellite radio as a factory-installed option, BMW announced the availability of Bluetooth for nearly all 2005 model BMWs, providing a new standard of convenience for in-car hands-free calling.

What is Bluetooth?
Bluetooth provides a wireless connection between select compatible cell phones and the vehicle for hands-free calling. With a compatible Bluetooth cell phone drivers can place calls, answer calls and select numbers from the phonebook by simply using the multi-function steering wheel or dashboard controls.

How does it work?
Bluetooth equipped vehicles are shipped fully activated, requiring no further activation or installation. All that is required is a compatible Bluetooth phone. The owner must complete an initial pairing procedure in order to create a private wireless connection between phone and vehicle. This is only required once, all subsequent connections occur automatically. Up to four pairings may be held in memory.

Bluetooth is standard equipment on the 2005 5 and 6 Series models as well as the M3 Convertible and X5 4.8is. It is included in all other vehicles equipped with BMW Assist or a Premium Package. It is not offered on the 7 Series, which comes standard with a fully integrated portable cell phone. Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth. Consult a BMW center for specific availability.

In order to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction BMW tests all available Bluetooth phones on the market. Only after a phone passes a variety of compatibility tests is it approved. Therefore not all available Bluetooth phones are compatible with BMW?s Bluetooth option. BMW centers will have a complete list of all approved phones for every major cellular service provider.
[snapback]51369[/snapback]

Thank you Pharding for all the info and contributions
Old 10-31-2004 | 08:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 31 2004, 08:22 AM

What is Bluetooth?

How does it work?

[snapback]51369[/snapback]

Thank you Pharding for all the info and contributions
Old 10-31-2004 | 06:21 PM
Contributors

Per my previous posts about spending $75 on the Motorola HF800... I bought one today.. and while its cute it doesn't appear to be perfect, either.

I will say the other person sounds great! but the say I sound like I am either far away, or under water.. the postition that works best is over my head, on the visor, but a little too big for me.going back to the store for a refund tomorrow..

would like to try the BMW BT solution, and while there is no pressure - It is all up to Paul to get it working better... ninth inning, 3 and 2, bases loaded... NO PRESSURE!

Andy
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 31 2004, 09:21 PM
Per my previous posts about spending $75 on the Motorola HF800... I bought one today.. and while its cute it doesn't appear to be perfect, either.

I will say the other person sounds great!? but the say I sound like I am either far away, or under water.. the postition that works best is over my head, on the visor, but a little too big for me.going back to the store for a refund tomorrow..

would like to try the BMW BT solution, and while there is no pressure - It is all up to Paul to get it working better... ninth inning, 3 and 2, bases loaded... NO PRESSURE!

Andy
[snapback]51577[/snapback]
Andy:

It is all under control. Iceman sent the information to BMW as requested. Iceman is like a god or at least a prophet.

I don't think he even has a job outside of posting on this board.
Old 10-31-2004 | 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Nov 1 2004, 06:16 AM
Iceman is like a god or at least a prophet.?
?
[snapback]51613[/snapback]
If I would be God I would know everyhing, what I don't. And I'm not a prophet either, I can't walk on water...

But you're right about the posting... That's what my wife thinks... No other job, just beeing the postwhore...
Old 11-01-2004 | 03:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Oct 31 2004, 11:34 PM
[quote name='pharding' date='Nov 1 2004, 06:16 AM']Iceman is like a god or at least a prophet.??
?
[snapback]51613[/snapback]
If I would be God I would know everyhing, what I don't. And I'm not a prophet either, I can't walk on water...

But you're right about the posting... That's what my wife thinks... No other job, just beeing the postwhore...
[snapback]51628[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, go get 'em, the Almighty!!!!

only problem i see is time.. from Germany, to the USA, to us... 3-6 months on anything!
Old 11-11-2004 | 08:45 PM
Senior Members

I orderd the Motorola Razr V3 today from Cingular for $500. We'll see how this puppy works with BMW Bluetooth. This is the beauty of Bluetooth. I can change cell phones after using my V600 for 6 months. According to a knowledgeable source on this board the Bluetooth chip set is the same in both phones. The V600 will not be retired until I know that it works. I intend to just swap sim cards so that I can keep the same phone number. Then if it does not work, I can swap them back.

Is there any more feedback out there on BT audio quality for the other person?

There have been 8,176 views of this thread as of 11.11.04. Amazing. This has been my 15 minutes of fame! Unfortunately my 15 minutes are up.
Old 11-12-2004 | 03:57 AM
Members

My bluetooth sound quality seems to have sound quality consistent with what you have experienced. Some people tell me I sound fine, and others complain about sound quality. It seems to work better when calling to a land line phone.

Overall I love the functionality.

I wonder if the new Motorola will be better. I have the T637 SonyEriccson and the phone is a bit too gadgety without the clean feeling of a Motorola.
Old 11-12-2004 | 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

My dealer just mailed to me that BT readines is factory option. Is this like aux input in US? Can or can't...

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday