Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 10:39 AM
Contributors

pharding:
Many thanks for taking the time and effort to bring all this good information to us. You have saved a lot of people a lot of time and hassle.
I for one greatly appreciate your help, thanks
Old 10-27-2004 | 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:57 AM
[quote name='wnrussell' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:09 AM'][quote name='s2s e60' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:03 AM']pharding: may I ask what mobile service provider you're with? I have Verizon and I fear I may not be able to get this to work with my V710 because of their bluetooth restrictions?
[snapback]49829[/snapback]
Verizon has recalled their V710 phones and will release with firmware updates next month. Your phone will take the firmware upgrade at the store. Check put Phonescoop for more details.
[snapback]49899[/snapback]
[/quote]

I haven't heard about this recall... will the firmware update enable OBEX? or will it further disable bluetooth? I heard that Verizon might go the latter route since bluetooth is incompatible with their business model of charging you for everything.
[snapback]49954[/snapback]
[/quote]

The firmware upgrade is to "fix communications problems with vehicles" and that is as specific as I have heard. The OBEX, OPP, SPP solution is not clear to anyone right now.
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 01:28 PM
Well, kudos to Bob Paduch at Motor Werks.. a true gentleman!!

I just hung up with him..? For those dealers, including mine, that say it can't be done, here's the skinny:

1.? tech needs to hook fiber optic cable up. it's already there, just needs to connect it!
2.? follow instructions on service bulletins?
? ? SIB # 841304
? ? SIB # 841603
3.? Bulletins above will state instructions for cars built 09/04 and later.. the catch is that there is no hardware difference from one year to the other.. it is in fac the software version.? They need to load 13.3 in.? If you have NAV, it may crash the CCC computer, he said.. so, some finegeling might be needed by the tech.
4.? that's it.. tell you service center they can get all this info off of Centernet!

Now that I know EXACTLY how to do this, let's see if my dealer still tells me NO!
[snapback]49984[/snapback]
Can any of you post the actual SIB's? If so, that would be greeeeat.

It helps my dealer if they have big PICTURES.........

Like when I had to bring in the carbaflo fix I printed off from this website.....
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:45 PM

And $599 for a software upgrade? Come on, give us a break!
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:56 PM

The trick is to let the dealer upgrade to the lastest software to v. 13.2 and higher under BMW warranty first.

After you have the latest software v. 13.2, the laber to connect the fiber optic cable and enabling it should be minimal.

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:45 PM
And $599 for a software upgrade?? Come on, give us a break!
[snapback]50016[/snapback]
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:56 PM
The trick is to let the dealer upgrade to the lastest software to v. 13.2 and higher under BMW warranty first.

After you have the latest software v. 13.2, the laber to connect the fiber optic cable and enabling it should be minimal.

[quote name='Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 03:45 PM']And $599 for a software upgrade?? Come on, give us a break!
[snapback]50022[/snapback]
[/quote]

You made a very good point there, my car goes in for service on Friday because of sound system related issues, they will probably do an update. But I already spent money on CPT9000 and I'm not thinking about switching to BT, at least not for a year.

Does anybody knows how to get a hold of those service bulletins on a previous post?
Old 10-27-2004 | 01:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 02:45 PM
And $599 for a software upgrade?? Come on, give us a break!
It takes a lot of time. This is the same price as the Bluetooth Option when I ordered my car. I was refunded this money when BT was not possible. I did not expect them to do it for free. As an architect in the professional service business, I am fine with paying a fair amount for a competent service. The e60 is extremely complex with over 60 microprocessors in it. They upgraded the software for the entire car which is time consuming and loaded with potential problems. They actually had much more time in this than I was charged. For me this was fair price for an exceptional service.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:02 PM
Members

A word of warning from a BT user in the UK. Personal experience is very disappointing. The functionality is outstanding but....... (and it's quite a big BUT) ther are two problems. First, the sound quality is abysmal. So bad as to be barely useable. You can pass information, but no way could you have a relaxed conversation.

Two... The number of fully compatible phones is now close to zero. Well, about two in fact. I have one of them, a SE T610 (T617 in the US I think) and it's a horrible phone. Mobile phones in the US seem to be a few months behind Europe, so you may still be able to get some of the older models that are compatible (Nokia 6310).

Personally, I don't reckon BT is worth it yet. Buy a visorcom instead. Cheaper and much better sound.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by jamespratt' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM
A word of warning from a BT user in the UK. Personal experience is very disappointing. The functionality is outstanding but....... (and it's quite a big BUT) ther are two problems. First, the sound quality is abysmal. So bad as to be barely useable. You can pass information, but no way could you have a relaxed conversation.

Two... The number of fully compatible phones is now close to zero. Well, about two in fact. I have one of them, a SE T610 (T617 in the US I think) and it's a horrible phone. Mobile phones in the US seem to be a few months behind Europe, so you may still be able to get some of the older models that are compatible (Nokia 6310).

Personally, I don't reckon BT is worth it yet. Buy a visorcom instead. Cheaper and much better sound.
[snapback]50062[/snapback]
pharding what do you think? Could your problems this morning have been related to the volume settings?

A clear conversation is the key and I have spoken to the guys at the other end of the Assist line. The conversation was very relaxed. (Unless ofcourse, being on BMWNA's payroll they are instructed not to complain about the sound quality).

The V710 is supposed to have a firmware update by the end of the year that will allow the address book to sync. Speaking with one user who uses it with a 3er, the battery life is not drained by the BT connection and there are no apparanent problems.

I am still scheduled to take my car in on Monday, but asked them to do the 'pharding retrofit' instead of the CPT9000 install. The CPT is always an option if this doesn't work out.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:28 AM
Well, kudos to Bob Paduch at Motor Werks.. a true gentleman!!

I just hung up with him..? For those dealers, including mine, that say it can't be done, here's the skinny:

1.? tech needs to hook fiber optic cable up. it's already there, just needs to connect it!
2.? follow instructions on service bulletins?
? ? SIB # 841304
? ? SIB # 841603
3.? Bulletins above will state instructions for cars built 09/04 and later.. the catch is that there is no hardware difference from one year to the other.. it is in fac the software version.? They need to load 13.3 in.? If you have NAV, it may crash the CCC computer, he said.. so, some finegeling might be needed by the tech.
4.? that's it.. tell you service center they can get all this info off of Centernet!

Now that I know EXACTLY how to do this, let's see if my dealer still tells me NO!
[snapback]49984[/snapback]
I printed the above out and gave it to my Technician. He looked up the SIBs and added one more instruction to No3. 'Keep your fingers crossed' He knows about the CCC crashing with V13.3.

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday