Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jeffnin' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:19 AM
[quote name='John W' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:07 AM']Hi - one question on all this.

If I DO NOT have Nav, will the phone, either BT or CPT9000 have voice activation?
[snapback]49939[/snapback]
Yes. I have had the v60 phone since March and it integrates fully with iDrive providing full voice control for dialing and talking. I just had the eject box installed and used my own v60i phone which works perfectly. Total cost for install/labor was $250. While I would prefer Bluetooth, I agree with others here that having the phone charge in the cradle is a great feature.
[snapback]49941[/snapback]
[/quote]

Commentary on Above and Update on Use During the Drive to the Office Today

Plus you get better reception by using the shark fin antenna. The reception was ever so slightly better with the hardwired cradle and Motorola/BMW Timeport Phone and exterior antenna in my 01 530. At the time this was a dealer installed BMW accessory. But my phone became obsolete with Cingular and I could not use it with their network. So I had to buy a different phone which would not work with the hands free telephone system in my e39. It is about trade offs. The Bluetooth advantage is that you can change phones as they become obsolete. And you have a more convenient solution. One probably will need to add a charger to my car so that I can keep it charging while in the car. Another issue is audio quality. I used the BT solution in my car today on my way to the office to talk with two of my employees. They both said that the audio quality was marginal with the Bluetooth approach. They liked the hard wired approach with my 01 530 better. One person in my office said that the Bluetooth calls today sounded like a walkie talkie. Another person in my office said it sounded like an internet telephone call. I may end up getting a cradle with hard wiring so that I can use the shark fin antenna. I am still evaluating my options. In any event, I admire BMW for fixing the Bluetooth issue as a retrofit for 04 e60 owners.
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by John W' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:07 AM
Hi - one question on all this.

If I DO NOT have Nav, will the phone, either BT or CPT9000 have voice activation?

I think that you need Voice Command which is part of the Nav Option in the US.
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Those two posts above were by me. Sorry, I wasn't logged in at the office.
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

So will any V60 work with the integrated eject box in lieu of the $530 CPT900? I am having a hard time finding a Verizon V60. Radio Shack is offering me one for $10 with a contract renewal or $210 without. It is still cheaper than the CPT but I don't want to have any incompatibility issues.

Thanks guys for your responses
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:41 AM
Members

So all that needs to happen is to have the software upgraded to 13.2 ? then all will work correctly? Is there any part number or service bulletin I can tell them to review? My dealer has no idea ? and says that there is no retrofit available yet.

Thanks!
Jon
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:37 AM
So will any V60 work with the integrated eject box in lieu of the $530 CPT900? I am having a hard time finding a Verizon V60.? Radio Shack is offering me one for $10 with a contract renewal or $210 without.? It is still cheaper than the CPT but I don't want to have any incompatibility issues.

[snapback]49969[/snapback]
From what I have seen it is hit or miss. Some people claim success with the non-BMW phone. Others say it did not work. You could do search on this board and RF to review users experience.
Old 10-27-2004 | 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:31 AM
[quote name='John W' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:07 AM']Hi - one question on all this.

I think that you need Voice Command which is part of the Nav Option in the US.
[snapback]49965[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:37 AM
So will any V60 work with the integrated eject box in lieu of the $530 CPT900? I am having a hard time finding a Verizon V60.?? Radio Shack is offering me one for $10 with a contract renewal or $210 without.?? It is still cheaper than the CPT but I don't want to have any incompatibility issues.

[snapback]49969[/snapback]
So far I have bought three V60 phones, two of them were CPT9000, a TDMA and a GSM the third one was a normal V60i Motorola phone.
My experience: The Motorola V60i (Non CPT9000) did not work with the car.
Both CPT9000 work, I have the TDMA on ebay at the moment because I wanted GSM (Because my service provider only has GSM network) and when I bought the CPT9000 I did not know there was a GSM version of the CPT9000. The TDMA worked fine, even though I used it only for a few days with AT&T.

Voice recognition works OK even if you do not have NAV, but it only works for cell phone commands. The "Dial Name" command is super cool but I still have to record all the names and numbers (In the car) before it can identify them from my cell phone phonebook.
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jzerden' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:41 AM
So all that needs to happen is to have the software upgraded to 13.2 ? then all will work correctly?? Is there any part number or service bulletin I can tell them to review? My dealer has no idea ? and says that there is no retrofit available yet.

Thanks!
Jon
[snapback]49972[/snapback]
No. After upgrading the software to 13.2, they must set up the software within the car for Bluetooth and initialize the car to pair with your phone the first time. They had me leave my cell phone with the cell phone manual. No parts are required if you have March 04 build or higher. The cost is $599. Your dealer is wrong. I have a working Bluetooth Option on my 04 545 with Cingular Wireless and a Motorola V600 phone. Ask him to call Bob Paduch, BMW Service Manager, at Motor Werks in Barrington, Illinois, 847.381.8900. Motor Werks has an awesome service department and an awesome attitiude toward customer service. They have been very resourceful and tenacious about solving this problem for me. My sales rep Chris Roehm and Brink in aftermarket accessories went the extra mile on this one. Bob Paduch, the BMW Service Manager, and Chris, the Technician were great. Motor Werks had a technician on the phone with BMW going through this as a test three times on Friday afternoon of last week to make sure that the technician could do it and it would work. Then they asked me to bring my car in. Motor Werks has a "can do" attitude through the entire organization.
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:28 AM
Contributors

Well, kudos to Bob Paduch at Motor Werks.. a true gentleman!!

I just hung up with him.. For those dealers, including mine, that say it can't be done, here's the skinny:

1. tech needs to hook fiber optic cable up. it's already there, just needs to connect it!
2. follow instructions on service bulletins
SIB # 841304
SIB # 841603
3. Bulletins above will state instructions for cars built 09/04 and later.. the catch is that there is no hardware difference from one year to the other.. it is in fac the software version. They need to load 13.3 in. If you have NAV, it may crash the CCC computer, he said.. so, some finegeling might be needed by the tech.
4. that's it.. tell you service center they can get all this info off of Centernet!

Now that I know EXACTLY how to do this, let's see if my dealer still tells me NO!
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Oct 27 2004, 12:27 PM
Plus you get better reception by using the shark fin antenna.? The reception was ever so slightly better with the hardwired cradle and Motorola/BMW Timeport Phone and exterior antenna in my 01 530.? At the time this was a dealer installed BMW accessory.? But my phone became obsolete with Cingular and I could not use it with their network.? So I had to buy a different phone which would not work with the hands free telephone system in my e39.? It is about trade offs.? The Bluetooth advantage is that you can change phones as they become obsolete.? And you have a more convenient solution.? One probably will need to? add a charger to my car so that I can keep it charging while in the car.? Another issue is audio quality.? I used the BT solution in my car today on my way to the office to talk with two of my employees.? They both said that the audio quality was marginal with the Bluetooth approach.? They liked the hard wired approach with my 01 530 better.? One person in my office said that the Bluetooth calls today sounded like a walkie talkie. Another person in my office said it sounded like an internet telephone call.? I may end up getting a cradle with hard wiring so that I can use the shark fin antenna. I am still evaluating my options.? In any event, I admire BMW for fixing the Bluetooth issue as a retrofit for 04 e60 owners.
[snapback]49963[/snapback]
PHarding - voice quality question.. I am wondering if the calls that the car makes to Assist sound clearer than that of BT? when i call Assist, it sounds very good. I think there might in fact even be 2 different mic's... are there different settings within i-drive for anything?

if it sounds crappy, no point in spending to do the upgrade.. why buy a TV if color looks poor? follow?

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday