Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 06:22 PM
Contributors

and here is the other one --------->

SI B 84 16 03
Phone, Navigation Systems September 2003
Service Engineering

Load Graphics

SUBJECT
BMW Universal Bluetooth? Hands-Free System Pairing Difficulties

MODEL
E39 (5 Series) Sedan from 3/02

E39 (5 Series) Sport Wagon from 9/02

E46 (3 Series) Sedan & Sport Wagon from 3/02

E53 (X5) from 4/02

SITUATION
When performing the initial handset pairing (using the "Pairing" button) on a vehicle, the procedure cannot be initiated.

CAUSE
Not able to initiate the pairing procedure via the "Pairing" button

PROCEDURE
If the above situation occurs the initial pairing can be activated via the DISPlus/GT1.

[8403U143.JPG]
At the Control Unit mask perform an individual short test on the "ULF Universal and hands-free facility" control module from the list.

[8403U144.JPG]
Select "ULF Universal charging and hands-free facility" from the "Control Units" column.

[8403U145.JPG]
Select "Component activation" from the "Functions" column.

[8403U147.JPG]
Select "Start Bluetooth recognition mode" from the "Part functions" column and press the "Activate" button.

After the "Activate" button is selected, the red, yellow and green LED's will be flashing on the Multi Information Display (MID) or Board Monitor Display. On an E46, the radio will display "BT Pairing".

Follow the instructions supplied with the handset Owner's Manual to finish the BT Pairing procedure.

For further information refer to SI B84 11 03 BMW Universal Bluetooth? Hands-Free System Owner's Manual

[ Copyright ? 2003 BMW of North America, LLC ]
Old 10-27-2004 | 06:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:04 PM
[quote name='pharding' date='Oct 27 2004, 07:32 PM']Wassy:

What do you recommend to get better audio quality now?? Should I go with the CPT9000 for the time being?? If I did that, I would just leave the CPT9000 in the car and use the V600 for normal use.? What do you recommend?? Thanks.
[snapback]50099[/snapback]
pharding:

Are you saying that you are not satisfied with the audio quality of your Bluetooth setup now? That the audio quality of CPT9000 was much better?
[snapback]50108[/snapback]
[/quote]

I am not satisfied with the audio quality of my Bluetooth setup at present. I have not tried the CPT9000. However according to my employees, the BMW labeled Motorola Timeport in my 01 530 which was in a cradle with the exterior antenna had much better audio quality. My assumption is that the CPT9000 is equal to or better than my 01 Motorola Timeport. I am not sure what do right now. There is no ideal solution, just trade-offs. Maybe I have taken this issue as far as I can at present and others will have to identify the best solution.
Old 10-27-2004 | 06:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks, its a tough decision.? With Verizon's V710 debacle and the fact that the phone is considerably larger than the V60 with numerous features that I don't need,? it's starting to become clear again.? The pharding BT success story threw me a loop,? but I now realize it won't do much for me.

Skipper,? does a regular V60 really work with full Voice activation and I-drive etc.
If so I might be able to save a couple of hundred bucks if I can find a late model CDMA V60. Rather than the BMW Phone
[snapback]49923[/snapback]
Yes total integration.

1. Charges the battery
2. Uses Shark Fin as an antenna
3. Use full voice commands (etc Dial Home)
4. Last calls, phone book, redial, SMS everything displayed in I-Drive
5. Place to store phone while in car
6. Phone ALWAYS charged
Old 10-27-2004 | 06:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530I Prem Package, Cold Weather, Prem Sound, Bluetooth and Sat.

Wassy where did you pull that info from ?
Old 10-27-2004 | 06:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:27 PM
[quote name='wnrussell' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:04 PM'][quote name='pharding' date='Oct 27 2004, 07:32 PM']Wassy:

What do you recommend to get better audio quality now?? Should I go with the CPT9000 for the time being?? If I did that, I would just leave the CPT9000 in the car and use the V600 for normal use.? What do you recommend?? Thanks.
pharding:

Are you saying that you are not satisfied with the audio quality of your Bluetooth setup now? That the audio quality of CPT9000 was much better?
[/quote]

I am not satisfied with the audio quality of my Bluetooth setup at present. I have not tried the CPT9000. However according to my employees, the BMW labeled Motorola Timeport in my 01 530 which was in a cradle with the exterior antenna had much better audio quality. My assumption is that the CPT9000 is equal to or better than my 01 Motorola Timeport. I am not sure what do right now. There is no ideal solution, just trade-offs. Maybe I have taken this issue as far as I can at present and others will have to identify the best solution.
[snapback]50119[/snapback]
[/quote]

the reason the Motorola Timeport/CPT9000 or ANY other WIRED phone will be better is the word WIRED.. although the phone is portable, the speakerphone is a wired one.

Let me make a suggestion for those who want a car kit for their current phone, want high quality Full duplex conversations, etc. get a full install motorola kit. You will not have idrive functionality, or steering wheel control, but you will have your hands on the wheels.

Another suggestion is the Motorola HF800 Bluetooth wirless speaker.. it mounts on your visor, or let is sit on your passenger seat.. it is supposed to be a pretty good solution.. again, not BMW support, but handsfree, inexpensive, and it works. Jabra also has the new SP100 out (i think that is the model #)... same a MOT, a little more powerful speaker, and a larger unit.

we can try the HF800, and return it if it is no good.. right? the nice thing about the HF800, for those with MOT phones, is it can use the voice dial features in your phone...
Old 10-27-2004 | 06:37 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tedmundson' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:32 PM
Wassy where did you pull that info from ?
[snapback]50122[/snapback]

Old 10-27-2004 | 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

I just tried to connect a Blackberry RIM device 7290 to my 2005 545. I was able to get both the phone and vehicle to recognize each other. I have had a problem though. Once I go to the phone menu in Comunications, the BMW keeps asking to "Please Activate Phone".

Has anyone tried this phone and gotten it to work. I might try to take it to the dealer tomorow.
Old 10-27-2004 | 07:28 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pharding' date='Oct 27 2004, 09:27 PM
[quote name='wnrussell' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:04 PM'][quote name='pharding' date='Oct 27 2004, 07:32 PM']Wassy:

pharding:

[/quote]

[snapback]50119[/snapback]
[/quote]

As soon as Verizon releases the V710 / V710M with full Bluetooth, I'll take that phone to the dealer for a demo test and compare the audio quality. I can't imagine that all of the 2005 models are being equipped with this same module character and the quality is substandard.

Maybe the Verizon profile will be worth the wait...
Old 10-27-2004 | 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 27 2004, 07:47 PM
The new motorola RAZR just came out and it is really sweet. It also has BT and is global GSM (all region frequencies). But needs a GSM provider like T-Mobile or Cingular.

I wonder if different phones would help in any way.

The other thing I was wondering is if anyone (pharding or others) have tried making calls without the car's BT connection, but with a BT earpiece connected to the same phone to know it that quality is much better for the audio.
[snapback]50105[/snapback]

The V3 RAZR uses the basically the same BT as the models being discussed here, so I doubt there would be any improvement.
Old 10-27-2004 | 08:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

Originally Posted by branie555' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:11 PM
Boy...this topic has been a real roller coaster ride. Ups, downs and in betweens! I've not seen this much activity on a single topic since I've been a member. Just goes to show the wide range of opinions out there regarding new technology and its practical applications.

I'm sorry to hear about the disappointing audio quality. As for myself, I'll stick with the CPT9000 until BMW and the cell phone makers can work the bugs out.

Does anyone know if the Acura has the same BT audio quality issues?
[snapback]50112[/snapback]
My brother has an '04 TL w/ BT. I talk to him frequently while he is using BT in his TL and the quality is poor.

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday