Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

For a fair comparison should it be like apple to apple? I mean like Bilstein brand of coilovers w/ H&R brand of coilovers or Bilstein shock w/ Koni shock ... but KW v3 is a coilover application w/ adjustable everything like spring height & adjustable rebound/compression while the H&R is a fixed lowering spring & non-adjustable Bilstein shock ... to me that's more like comparing apple & orange, no?

Other than that ... not sure if v_therussian already try KW v3 to compare w/ his H&R/Bilstein combo .

Originally Posted by TMack
How did the H&R/Bilstein combo compare to the KW V3's? I'd like to keep costs down, but don't want to spend $1500 and wish I'd gone all the way.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

My kw's sat in the garage for ten months b/c after I went to a 19" wheel the ride height seemed good, many people asked if I had lowered it and I was worried about ride quality. But this spring I hooked up with a board member JAY BIMMA who has them and his shop has done a bunch of bmw kw installs. After assuring me a good ride quality I went ahead with the install. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I had a ride in a 335xi with kw's that were said to be set up stiff but I didn't even notice coil overs were installed.

Bottom line is, mine are set soft 50% I have stock ride quality aside from 19" wheels. I think it rides softer than last year w/o kw's. I know there expensive but if you wanna lower your car xi I feel it's the only way to go. I was lucky and got then at a group buy price from mod bargains someone should contact them. Post #438 would concern me if I was looking to buy that setup.

This is just my 2cents
Old 05-18-2011, 05:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I have the Bilstein B8 combo'd with the HR sports and I gotta say I HATE it. Lol.. Im going to leave it in for a while, but with the roads around here I just cant take it. If the road goes from non paved to new paved road and theres a slight level difference in the road I SMACK real hard hitting the bump stops I THINK.

With the 19's its really harsh. On smooth roads WOW its Awesome, I hit 100-140MPH sleeping like it was nothing.

If the installing and uninstalling didnt cost so much I would sell them and get KW's for NJ NY probably. I was thinking of doing the Bilstein B8's on stock springs and raise it a little bit. This way I can not totally cry after I drive on the FDR in manhattan or the west side highway or SHIT streets through New Jersey.

There is no PLAY though at all. They are settling and the car got even lower after a week. Like I said, if I lived in Florida or Cali or Arizona or whereever else governments decide to take care of transportation, I would go with the Bilstein B8's all day. You save a solid 1000$. (with the KW comfort kit) EVEN more than the KW V3. Not to knock the KW's there nice, but from an economical standpoint Bilstein HR is a great way to go
Old 05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by corey
I'll have my B8 set available next week - I'm going back to stock. While I love the ride and the handling, its too stiff for my wife. She would drive the couch if it had wheels
Let me know how that goes, I know I recommended you but you should have a great experience. There great guys at Autocouture Motoring. I try to give them a good name but feedback from others than myself helps them. Maybe Ill come by if I have some time, bye bye Bilsteins LOL
Old 05-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

I'm running h&r sports with stock shocks and the first chance I get to do my Coilovers (kw v3), I am. I love my ride but I am running a 2006, so soon I will need new shocks. Some one needs to see the difference between the 530 and the 530xi (specs). Then give it to micheal at acute and sign tons of petition to get an application for our beloved xi's.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
For a fair comparison should it be like apple to apple? I mean like Bilstein brand of coilovers w/ H&R brand of coilovers or Bilstein shock w/ Koni shock ... but KW v3 is a coilover application w/ adjustable everything like spring height & adjustable rebound/compression while the H&R is a fixed lowering spring & non-adjustable Bilstein shock ... to me that's more like comparing apple & orange, no?

Other than that ... not sure if v_therussian already try KW v3 to compare w/ his H&R/Bilstein combo .
I guess I don't understand the point of your post. There are basically only two real options for those of us looking for a decent suspension upgrade on an xi. So I inquired how they compared to each other. What does "apple to apple" have to do with anything? I'm just asking for input from those who may have tried both.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Point is ... KW v3 is nothin' to compare to H&R+Bilstein ... at that price gap KW v3 win, simple... anyway GL on your journey

Originally Posted by TMack
I guess I don't understand the point of your post. There are basically only two real options for those of us looking for a decent suspension upgrade on an xi. So I inquired how they compared to each other. What does "apple to apple" have to do with anything? I'm just asking for input from those who may have tried both.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Members

My Bilsteins will be available next week as well. Im taking them out and selling them. Only in my car for 10 days.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Wow, so much information available. Great reference. Not meaning to hijack.
Anyone with ideas about larger caliper/disc combo to go with the wheels and suspension upgrades?
Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Touring - KW Var 3 Coilovers, VMR V710 20x9" wheels, Falken 452 245/35/19" Tires, OEM M5 Front Bumper, OEM M5 Front Fenders, OEM M5 Mirrors, Hamman Style CF Front Lip, Matte Black Kidney Grills, 20% Tint, B&W BMW Roundels.

Originally Posted by nell
Wow, so much information available. Great reference. Not meaning to hijack.
Anyone with ideas about larger caliper/disc combo to go with the wheels and suspension upgrades?
I was planning on looking into M5 set up as you can pick them up off ebay for fairly cheap ($600-$800) for the whole set. Im not sure if they will work though with the awd.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi