Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

the speed will not simply be "1 mph" off. It will be a % of any given speed. In other words, the % at 30 will be vastly different from 75. When pushing the limits of getting a ticket, the increase will put you into ticket land if do not pay attention and remind yourself of the current % increase.

The awd system likes your tires to be as close to identical as possibly. The alternate tire you suggest is wider than ideal on a 9.5" rim. The 265 is more appropriate and stays closer to equal rolling diameter. I would look up the oem staggered sets on awd bmw's to get a sense of the diameter variance proposed from the factory, at least to lern how close they should be.

If you just want the appearance at the rear of the nice flush wheel, then you could actually run the super simple set up of all 4 equal size plus spacers in the rear. It makes tire buying so much easier and you can then rotate your wheels for better/longer/safer tire wear. I could have fit 9.5 on the rear of mine, and would love the look of a deeper rim but practicality won out and allows me to have a viable full size spare useable on any corner.

This is where the Audi wins over the BMW hands down, all 4 same size and a full size spare in the floor not taking up any cargo area. (not on all Audi models)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi - Monaco Blue- Prem/Sport/Nav/Logic7

Thanks jwestpro!

So, I could use an all square 19 x 8.5 with 245/40/19 and have a diameter of 26.72.

1. I believe 245 will work well with an 8.5 rim.

2. According to the calculator, at 60mph on the speedo, I will actually be traveling 62mph (understanding that the relationship between the two is variable).

3. I think this will fill the wheelwell very nicely (yours looks great) and I really like the idea of being able to rotate tires.

4. With a 35 offset, it should sit fairly flush, but I can adjust that with spacers if required.

Let me know if I am missing anything, otherwise I have to start obsessing about something new (body kits?) now.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

8.5" ET 35 on the front will be just right, with zero worries on rubbing. the rear will be fine, like mine, but you could easily add a 5-10mm spacer too. at least the rear leveling suspension helps to keep a flush tire from rubbing due to load.

Oh, and just so you know, my wheels are ET 29 8.5" so that's 3mm out further. The front almost looks odd looking at it when standing by the car. I am sure under heavy corner/braking, it would rub but not under normal driving.

another angle showing ET/fender relationship:

Old 05-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 535xi wagon. Monaco Blue/Dakota Brown interior, M Package

the more I read this thread, the more undecided I become.

I have never had a car that is so tough to modify.

-rear bumper... can't do it without significant difficulties
-chassis flex... totally conflicting ideas on what works, what parts are available
-wheel/tire combo... a million different solutions, no apparent one good one that works
-suspension... more of the same
-crappy front rotors... tough to change out

man!... i just want to make my car look a bit nicer, just feel like giving up... don't even get me started on creaks and rattles.

ok, sorry for threadjack, rant over.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by alexio
the more I read this thread, the more undecided I become.

I have never had a car that is so tough to modify.
Seriously. I've had my 535xi a little over a month and, while I'm definitely enjoying it, I'm discouraged at the dearth of mod options for the xi. Particularly, suspension options (or lack thereof.) If I'd known this, I would have given serious consideration to and RWD with a set of winter wheels/snow tires.

But enough of my whining! The question at hand for me is whether I try the H&R/Bilstein suspension option, or go straight to the ridiculously priced KW V3's. I'd really like to believe that H&R/Bilstein set will be great, but frankly, the reviews around here are less than stellar. I know of three different members who had it and removed it. But the KW's will be $2500+ installed and, near as I can tell, nobody here is running them. So I'm afraid to pull the trigger for that kind of cash without some "reference-able" certainty that I'll love 'em. Oy!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

TMack...

I'm running the KW V3's and I wouldn't trade them for the world. While they are expensive, they are worth every penny! I mean you'll spend around $1500 for H&R/Bilstein combo and you still won't be able to abjust ride height and rebound/dampening. Suspension is one of the most important mods to your car. Spend a little extra cash and enjoy all the tweaking.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi Platinum Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by jay bimma
TMack...

I'm running the KW V3's and I wouldn't trade them for the world. While they are expensive, they are worth every penny! I mean you'll spend around $1500 for H&R/Bilstein combo and you still won't be able to abjust ride height and rebound/dampening. Suspension is one of the most important mods to your car. Spend a little extra cash and enjoy all the tweaking.
Thanks JB. I agree that suspension is key! To me, these cars are ALL about the handling, and so far, my xi is not thrilling me the way my previous "sport" bimmers have. And I couldn't agree more with your logic. I'd hate to "invest" $1500 and still be disappointed.

By the way, do you have any noise with your coilovers? That's my only remaining concern. Are there any installation tricks to ensure that I come out noise-free?
Old 05-31-2011, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

I'm selling my HR Sport Springs and Bilsteins which the bilsteins have about 200 miles on them...

I'm selling them both for under 1000$. TRUE That the KW's are badass and the way to go. If its a price point, you can't beat the price for bilstein/HR combo. Your talking 3000$ plus installation for KW's. Maybe less if you get a good price on KW's. Still for under 1000$ you can buy a suspension full M package or wheels or chips or exhausts and have still have money to spare.

I wish I just got an M5 instead of dumping 5000$ plus into my 535 LOL

If you can afford it KW is sick.

If I had flat smooth roads(Which I dont at all!) I would take the bilstein HR combo all day
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TMack
Thanks JB. I agree that suspension is key! To me, these cars are ALL about the handling, and so far, my xi is not thrilling me the way my previous "sport" bimmers have. And I couldn't agree more with your logic. I'd hate to "invest" $1500 and still be disappointed.

By the way, do you have any noise with your coilovers? That's my only remaining concern. Are there any installation tricks to ensure that I come out noise-free?
I paid $2000 for my V3's brand new. I installed them myself which saved me $300 as well. There is a very subtle click type noise when you switch from reverse to drive and vice versa but i think it's due to the axle's changing direction because i don't wait for my car to come to a complete stop everytime. Other than that they are noise free and ride like a dream. We have installed them on a 525xi, 535xi wagon, 335xi, and a X5. Installation is straight forward and very easy IMO if you have done repairs and worked on vehicles before. A little trick would be to re-grease the front upper strut mount bearings before re-installing. H&R/Bilstein combo is still a ok setup if money is a factor like others have stated but i wanted the best!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Members

Seriously? Where can I get em for 2000$?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi