Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I get a lot of questions about Xi cars, most dealing with wheel options for AWD E60/E61 cars. Seems to me that a LOT of people with Xi's do not know their options fully, so I'm posting this thread in order to expand the knowledge and shed some light on one of the darkest areas of Xi ownership.

First, let's talk about offsets. Original offsets on Xi's are ET43, but even a child can tell that our OEM wheels sit pretty deep, so you can definitely go a lot more aggressive. Do not go by what the vendors tell you - they have less idea about what wheels fit Xi's than you, in most cases. I've spent a considerable amount of time interviewing members on this forum with Xi's and aftermarket suspensions and wheels. So far, the most extreme offsets that anyone (known to me) has successfully run on a dropped Xi was Calton (C's Bimmer) with his previous car - '07 530Xi. His net offsets were ET30 and ET32 front and rear, respectively. That expands your wheel options almost indefinitely, as now you can even get Breyton GTS-R's with ET30 offsets in front, which is NOT anything you'll ever read on tirerack.com or any other sire AFAIK.

Here's a list of wheels (with links where I had them) that I know fit Xi's:

1. VMR and Miro wheels - nearly all of their wheels come in offsets that would work on Xi. We have plenty of vendors on this forum who carry either of these brands and these are the best-known options for Xi's.
VMR V710:

Miro 111:

2. Vorsteiner CS-01 (and possibly other models - you'd have to look through Vorsteiner's web site to see the available offsets and hub sizes to make sure). Currently, John@EuroRev has a standing deal on these where he states that he'll beat anyone's price on them. Search through the classified threads to find.

3. The TE37 reps that PTL recently posted a thread about. Here's the link to their site: http://varrstoen.com/shoponline19.html

4. Various Breytons (a whole LOT more than tirerack.com shows!!!) - if you can search inet for Breyton's available offsets, check out all rims they offer with ET30-ET43 offsets. Anything in that range should work on the Xi. But keep in mind that the hub size is also something to consider.
Breyton Race GTS:

5. Forgestar F14's and possibly their other models.
Forgestar F14:

I'll be updating this thread with pics and any new findings as I come across them, and I encourage everyone to participate. If any vendors want to post their deals, available wheels or any comments whatsoever, I'm sure we will all be thankful, as the Xi community is something of a "black sheep" of the E60 circle and we really don't get enough information OR modding options.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

DPE? :-P
Old 03-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
DPE? :-P
Of course! I did not even mention them, thinking that everyone would know "custom" means ANY offset you want.

But maybe you want to post a detailed narrative regarding custom DPE's, since you're kind of the go-to guy for them 'round here?
I'm sure pics will be welcome as well
Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

naw i'm sure everyone is sick of my DPE speech.

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Of course! I did not even mention them, thinking that everyone would know "custom" means ANY offset you want.

But maybe you want to post a detailed narrative regarding custom DPE's, since you're kind of the go-to guy for them 'round here?
I'm sure pics will be welcome as well
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Contributors

Since Michael is shy, I'll just reiterate that there are customizable wheels you can get, where you specify any offset you wish. This is obviously more expensive, usually these will be forged wheels and they are considered a LOT more reliable and desirable

Companies that make these wheels are HRE, DPE, Klassen, Vossen and so forth. I'm sure that there are lots more, I just don't know them all by heart. DPEs seem to be a great deal, as - at least as far as I know - they are less expensive than comparables, yet offer same (or higher) quality and all the customization. If I'm wrong with any of this, I'm sure I'll get corrected. But the point is, when you go with custom forged wheels, like DPE, you'll be able to specify your own offset, so they will work on an Xi, as long as you specify the appropriate offsets.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Contributors

Another options for wheels for Xi:

here's the thread:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/951...&#entry1126669
and a pic:

They are called AluFelgen SF-71
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Contributors

awesome database for you and the other 3 members that have xi models

now pool your knowledge on suspension
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
KW V3

That's it hahahaha LMAO
Old 03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
awesome database for you and the other 3 members that have xi models

Ouch.

To be fair, I would say there are at least 7 members with XIs!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI
Ouch.

To be fair, I would say there are at least 7 members with XIs!!!
8 ... There are the haves and have-nots ... let's not be too harsh on those who still struggle with 2-wheel brakes too

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi