Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Never seen these wheels on E60, but I really like them. They could use some spacers though...

Get 245 and 275 or 285! Don't argue. ???????? ??????????? (??? ?? ?? ?????? ???????????) ??? ????? ??????! ?? ???? ? Xi - costs about 3 thousand to fix in the States. In Russia - I don't even wanna guess...
I was thinking about tire size. But i'm sure that the difference between 235 and 265 is the same as 245 and 275. So my conscience is clear
??, ???????????? - ?????????

And yes, it does influence the thickness of the spacers.
Excellent. In one week (i hope so!) my springs arrived from Germany and after lowering i will try spacers with different thicknes. Practice is better then theory

Now, go and research everything proper, like a good Russian!

????????, ??????! ??? ???????! ???? ? ???? - ????? ???? ??????, ????? ???? ?? ?????? ??? ??????? ?????????. ?????? ?? ??? ?????? ????? ??? ??? ????????.
??????? ????!
Old 03-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Members

Guys, just looking into Vertini wheels apparently they have a size available to fit Xi's in 20 inch staggered
20x8.5 +35F 20x10 +38R im tempted to get the Magic concaves in black, but i just powdercoated my wheels so dream on
maybe if i could get rid of my current wheels lol

Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Rostman
I was thinking about tire size. But i'm sure that the difference between 235 and 265 is the same as 245 and 275. So my conscience is clear
??, ???????????? - ?????????

Excellent. In one week (i hope so!) my springs arrived from Germany and after lowering i will try spacers with different thicknes. Practice is better then theory

??????? ????!
As long as you're certain. I've looked at those sizes when I was thinking to go a little "stretched" with the tires, but I'm not sure if they were matching close enough...

Post pics with spacers - I wanna see more of those rims on the E60

Originally Posted by Go_Fork_Urself
Guys, just looking into Vertini wheels apparently they have a size available to fit Xi's in 20 inch staggered
20x8.5 +35F 20x10 +38R im tempted to get the Magic concaves in black, but i just powdercoated my wheels so dream on
maybe if i could get rid of my current wheels lol

LOVE these wheels! If I lived somewhere where the roads are better... I think they'll look great! And those offsets are good for 20s - little more room. And if you feel confident enough after you get them, you can stagger them with 5mm spacers later.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

Yes, the lower the ET number - the further outward the wheel will sit (the more offset it will be).

There are few considerations when it comes to varying offsets:

1. Looks. Obviously, for looks, you want the wheels to sit as flush with the wheel arches as possible. For AWD (Xi, X-drive) E60's, the closest setup proven not to cause rubbing is ET30 front, ET32 rear on 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 inch fronts and rears, respectively. Keep in mind that as your wheel widths fluctuate, so must the offsets be adjusted. Also, just because there was no rubbing observed on 19's, does not guarantee you rub-free driving if you go with 20's - there's simply no reliable data on it. Yet. (By "reliable data", in this case, I mean someone actually trying it on a dropped E60 Xi).

2. Track. Front and rear tracks will widen as your wheels become more offset. The track is measured from the longitudinal center line of the left wheel to the longitudinal center line of the right wheel, also each axle has it's own track (ie front and rear tracks usually are different). The track affects handling. The wider the rear track, the flatter your car stays in corners, the more it will tend to oversteer (although, oversteer on Xi cars is corrected IMMEDIATELY by the traction control. And even if you have your traction gadgets off, the AWD differentials will do the job for them, switching torque "from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip"). Widening the front track would net you a flatter (more neutral, less "roll") cornering, but technically could promote understeer - if your tires are crap (well, if you have crappy tires, forget about talking about under- and oversteer and go get some real tires first - seriously, this is a "don't try this at home" type of thing). If your tires can pull the increased lateral g's that the widened track will be generating, you should just have better cornering.

Example: I had spacers installed in the rear, leaving the front stock. Spacers are 12.5mm per side, which netted me a 12.5mm wider track (bc you count from the center line, only half of each spacer's width is added to the track). Handling was almost the same. Most people would not be able to notice the difference, because most people wouldn't want to see how fast they can take this or that ramp-like circle But I want to know about that kind of stuff. While I don't have a reliable device to measure lateral g's to provide objective data, I can definitely tell you that seat-of-the-pants data was noticeable - the car definitely tends to oversteer more. Effectively, what that does is corrects for an inherent tendency of AWD E60 to understeer slightly on turn-in. So the handling improved by becoming more neutral.

3. Alignment/integrity of suspension components. If you hang a 10lb block at one end of a stick, then hold that stick, first at the middle of the stick, then at the opposite end of the stick - which holding position will require more force? Opposite end. Your suspension has your wheels "hanging" off of it on one end, and the rest of your car is "holding" it by the other. So when you add a spacer, or make the track wider by getting wider wheels, you are increasing the amount of force needed to hold the wheels in place. If you go far enough out of spec, you'll definitely start breaking suspension components. Just ask any of the "stretch'n'poke" people with those retarded negative cambers and wheels sticking WAAAAAAAY out, how many control arms and bushings they go through per each 10,000 miles driven. This is because widening the track effectively stresses your suspension more. Which is the reason why you shouldn't go crazy (aside from rubbing, of course - that's basic) on your offsets. Get close to flush, and try not to break anything. In my case, I went with ET35's strictly because the wheels I wanted have these offsets. I may (or may not - depending on how they sit) end up using spacers, or getting rid of them altogether in favor of a more flush setup. And lastly, keep in mind that the more force it takes to hold the wheel, the more force it will take to rotate it for your axles. And while these differences are incremental and nominal to most, I personally try to squeeze every possible advantage out of my mods. I realize it is a compromise, so I do just that - sacrifice some less significant benefits for the sake of the more significant ones.

Now, to answer your specific questions:
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. I meant that if you go with a 10-inch wide wheel in the back, you should get ET40. If you go with a 9.5" wide, ET33 will be better. For either of these, you'll have about the same clearance between the wheel and the fender, but since the ten-incher is wider than the nine and a half one... get it? And ET32 up front on 8.5" wide wheel should be fine.

Your second question should be answered above. But in general, I think there is almost no perceptible difference in the way it will look between ET32, ET33 and ET35 - we are talking about a difference of 3 millimeters at the most.

superb explanation but what size tires with this set up for the 19's?
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Senior Members

v-russian have you installed your Bilstein and HRs yet? Was wondering what happened.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Integratyper
superb explanation but what size tires with this set up for the 19's?
245/35/19 FRONTS 285/30/19 REARS

But most people go with 275/30/19, since they are "close enough" in overall diameter, and the 285s are a kind of a hard to find size - not too many manufacturers even make that size.

Originally Posted by mazekid15
v-russian have you installed your Bilstein and HRs yet? Was wondering what happened.
Not yet. I'm planning to get the suspension installed this Friday. Wish me luck!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

As long as you're certain. I've looked at those sizes when I was thinking to go a little "stretched" with the tires, but I'm not sure if they were matching close enough...

Post pics with spacers - I wanna see more of those rims on the E60

LOVE these wheels! If I lived somewhere where the roads are better... I think they'll look great! And those offsets are good for 20s - little more room. And if you feel confident enough after you get them, you can stagger them with 5mm spacers later.
V did i just hear you say u can run 20" on our xi's? man i have playing around with that idea..Pls more details, any rubbing, is it gonna hide that ugly gap we get with 19"? does it look good?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Members

Allow me to answer this one for V : ) Yes you can, i know somone who has used 20's in an Xi with H&R springs. Rubbing will depend on how aggressive/wide you go, if you are willing to roll your fenders shouldnt be a problem.

in regards to the wheel gap, here is a 550i on H&R springs and with 20's

here is my 530Xi on H&R springs and 19's

Old 03-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

That's nothin' new as bunch of members here been using 20" on their xi from quite a while back, here are some:

http://forums.5serie...res-for-e60-xi/
http://forums.5serie...gt7-for-e60-xi/
http://forums.5serie...post__p__815736

... and they are lowered on H&R Sport Springs.

Originally Posted by E60ROCKS
V did i just hear you say u can run 20" on our xi's? man i have playing around with that idea..Pls more details, any rubbing, is it gonna hide that ugly gap we get with 19"? does it look good?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
That's nothin' new as bunch of members here been using 20" on their xi from quite a while back, here are some:

http://forums.5serie...res-for-e60-xi/
http://forums.5serie...gt7-for-e60-xi/
http://forums.5serie...post__p__815736

... and they are lowered on H&R Sport Springs.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi