Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Should be OK...

Originally Posted by bricards1
i have a 2007 530xi can anyone confirm these will fit without any alterations...

Beyern - Mesh (Gloss Black w/ Mirror Lip) - 19 inch 8.5 width 40 offset on all 4 tires wrapped in
Yokohama - S.drive tires 245/35/19

thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALL OF YOU GUYS XI's or non-XI's are sick!!! I am tryin to learn a little, I have a few questions . . . . hopin yall don't chew my head off for askin this but...will changing to V3's void my warrenty any way? I was also looking for pics of XI's that people had upgraded to aftermarket 18's without any suspension work. If you go from the 17" to a 18" will your car still look sorta roller skate'ish...offense to those that haven't done any suspension work? Should my car be lowered if I upgrade to a 18" or could i get away with not doing it.......one last thing SORRY THE RAMBLING GUYS.......looking at your pics have me goin crazy....HAAA I was looking into possibly a pair of GTS's for my car and tire rack an there OEM crap recomends 245/40-18 http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...rSpecial=false ,I was wondering if I could do a 245/45-18 and not have any issues with rubbing or whatever, hope I didn't step on anyones toes or repeat anything and if I did Im sorry! BUT HELP GUYS......guide me to some pics or something..... I have been searching and found this guys XI...looks sweeet but Im not technical enough to really understand what he done...... https://5series.net/forums/topic/753...n-xi-pictures/

if I was to go with a 19 like the one in that post with the X3 syle wheels could i go with a tire size that had a taller sidewall without rubbing in turns and things???? HELP GUYS AND THANKS IN ADVANCE......
Old 01-26-2011, 01:05 PM
New Members

Hello to all !

Another 5 xdrive from Spain. My car is a 2009 530d xdrive and I have fitted recently a new set of 19 inch 166M style rims in the following configuration: 8,5 x 19 front and 9,5 x 19 rear all of them in ET40 offset. In the tire chapter, I have fitted GoodYear F1 Asymmetrics in 245/35R19 for the front axle and 275/30R19 for the rear axle.
Since the fitment, if not an obsession of mine, I think I hear noises in the transmission that had not previously heard.
The noises that I hear in the transmission are as if it were working forced or excessively, making it audible
I reinstalled during a few days the original M rims and tires (8x18 ET43 with 245/40R18 all around) and I did not hear that noises.

These are my concerns:

Do you think I should have installed 285/30R19 in the rear? (Every day I regret not having done)
Are you convinced that install 275/30R19 in the rear (just in the hypothetical limit of 1% of the diameter tolerance) will not cause a breakdown in the short to medium term in the transmission?
What is the ideal pressure of the tires so as not to exacerbate the problems in diameter? Here I can contribute something. In an email sent to Goodyear consulting with this doubt, for 530xd they recommend 2.6 bar in front and 2.9 bar in the rear at full load and 2.5 bar on all four wheels on normal load.
What is the pressure you use you in the wheels?

Thank you all for making this forum possible and forgive me the length of the speech

Luis
SPAIN
Old 01-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by 530d-xdrive
Hello to all !

Another 5 xdrive from Spain. My car is a 2009 530d xdrive and I have fitted recently a new set of 19 inch 166M style rims in the following configuration: 8,5 x 19 front and 9,5 x 19 rear all of them in ET40 offset. In the tire chapter, I have fitted GoodYear F1 Asymmetrics in 245/35R19 for the front axle and 275/30R19 for the rear axle.
Since the fitment, if not an obsession of mine, I think I hear noises in the transmission that had not previously heard.
The noises that I hear in the transmission are as if it were working forced or excessively, making it audible
I reinstalled during a few days the original M rims and tires (8x18 ET43 with 245/40R18 all around) and I did not hear that noises.

These are my concerns:

Do you think I should have installed 285/30R19 in the rear? (Every day I regret not having done)
Are you convinced that install 275/30R19 in the rear (just in the hypothetical limit of 1% of the diameter tolerance) will not cause a breakdown in the short to medium term in the transmission?
What is the ideal pressure of the tires so as not to exacerbate the problems in diameter? Here I can contribute something. In an email sent to Goodyear consulting with this doubt, for 530xd they recommend 2.6 bar in front and 2.9 bar in the rear at full load and 2.5 bar on all four wheels on normal load.
What is the pressure you use you in the wheels?

Thank you all for making this forum possible and forgive me the length of the speech

Luis
SPAIN
Hi and

Are your 166M wheels OEM? I've never heard of OEM 166M's having ET40 offsets. Are you sure they are NOT 167M replicas?

The noise you're hearing is probably from the transfer case - in which case, something is wrong. The tire sizes you've used should be fine, so I think maybe this is something car-specific in your case. Perhaps, the differential (aka transfer case) is making the noise when your 166's are on the car, but in fact the problem is still there, when you have your square setup installed. I'd get that diagnosed as soon as possible.

As for the tire pressures, I run 32psi front and 38psi in the back on my 18's. 19's is kind of more tricky - when I need more handling, I over-pump. When I am just cruising, I reduce pressures. But I do pump them slightly higher than BMW recommends.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Talibmohamid
ALL OF YOU GUYS XI's or non-XI's are sick!!! I am tryin to learn a little, I have a few questions . . . . hopin yall don't chew my head off for askin this but...will changing to V3's void my warrenty any way? I was also looking for pics of XI's that people had upgraded to aftermarket 18's without any suspension work. If you go from the 17" to a 18" will your car still look sorta roller skate'ish...offense to those that haven't done any suspension work? Should my car be lowered if I upgrade to a 18" or could i get away with not doing it.......one last thing SORRY THE RAMBLING GUYS.......looking at your pics have me goin crazy....HAAA I was looking into possibly a pair of GTS's for my car and tire rack an there OEM crap recomends 245/40-18 http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...rSpecial=false ,I was wondering if I could do a 245/45-18 and not have any issues with rubbing or whatever, hope I didn't step on anyones toes or repeat anything and if I did Im sorry! BUT HELP GUYS......guide me to some pics or something..... I have been searching and found this guys XI...looks sweeet but Im not technical enough to really understand what he done...... https://5series.net/forums/topic/753...n-xi-pictures/

if I was to go with a 19 like the one in that post with the X3 syle wheels could i go with a tire size that had a taller sidewall without rubbing in turns and things???? HELP GUYS AND THANKS IN ADVANCE......
As long as you don't mind the speedo being off, you can definitely go 245/45/18 on a square setup. I don't think you'll have any rubbing issues.

On 19's though, you'll probably end up having some rubbing with a taller sidewall. Also, keep in mind those X3 128's will sit deeper in the wheel wells, so you may want to use spacers.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi - Monaco Blue- Prem/Sport/Nav/Logic7

I just brought a 2008 535xi w/sport/prem and the stock 17 inch wheels look rather unimpressive.

Based on copious amounts of research back and forth between multiple forums, vendor websites, etc., it appears that IF I want a staggered OEM 18 wheel my only choice is the model 124. Is this accurate, or are there other options? Frankly, the 124 seems a little understated for me. (I just traded in a 3-series with model 73 wheels and want something with a bit more going on...)

I realize that there is a great wide-world of after-market options, but I would like to exhaust my OEM options first.

I also realize that I can go with a few more options on a square set up (135, 128), but I think the staggered set up looks cooler (and I need all the help I can get)...

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Contributors

I have an Xi with 123's. And there are LOTS of OEM wheels - whether from E60 or other models - that fit. Check out realoem.com for specs

Also, read this thread thoroughly and figure out your offsets

PM me if you have any q's

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 AM
New Members

Does anyone have any pics of a 535xi with non-staggered 18 inch wheels? In particular, I was hoping to upgrade the stock 17s to 18 inch CSL style wheels or the 550i M sport wheel.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi - Monaco Blue- Prem/Sport/Nav/Logic7

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I have an Xi with 123's. And there are LOTS of OEM wheels - whether from E60 or other models - that fit. Check out realoem.com for specs

Also, read this thread thoroughly and figure out your offsets

PM me if you have any q's

Thanks for the help. I have read this post several times and I realize that once xi owners abandon the 43-offset limitations set by BMW, the number of wheel options expand greatly. I am just trying to figure out a way to identify what those options are in a 18 or 19 OEM staggered wheel. RealOEM seems impossible to search or sort by offset.

??????? ??????? ????
Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' 530xi

I need the know all the options for us xi'ers...I own a 06' 530xi and I can't find rims that I like! Looking thru this thread it seems like it only 4 or 5 options for rims!

HELP!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi