Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by harcorshe
Thanks for the help. I have read this post several times and I realize that once xi owners abandon the 43-offset limitations set by BMW, the number of wheel options expand greatly. I am just trying to figure out a way to identify what those options are in a 18 or 19 OEM staggered wheel. RealOEM seems impossible to search or sort by offset.

??????? ??????? ????
Check out offset calculators online.

Here's an explanation by "pros": http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=wheels

Here's a simple calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

You shouldn't forget that the offset will have to change with the width of your wheels. For example, if you're current offset is ET43 and your wheel is 8 inches wide, but you go to a 9-inch wide wheel - even with the same offset the wheel will sit differently, because it has a wider section. I may not be expressing myself very clearly - sorry if this is confusing. But try to use known offsets vs your stock ones in the calculator and watch the deltas - how much more/less space you'll have on the inner and outer sides of the wheel inside the wheel wells.

Originally Posted by bb bmw
I need the know all the options for us xi'ers...I own a 06' 530xi and I can't find rims that I like! Looking thru this thread it seems like it only 4 or 5 options for rims!

HELP!
Dude, seriously, do NOT panic!

First of all, go and sign up with e46fanatics - you'll now be watching their wheel classifieds like a HAWK!

Now, second: you've gotta figure out a few key things - do you want a square setup, do you want 19's or 20's, how wide are your wheels going to be... oh jeez, man, there are loads of choices out there. Look at realoem.com - search through 3 series wheels, X3's - there are lots of OEM wheels that fit. You can try to source those from forums, or eBay, or craigslist. You can go the proven route and get something like Miro's or VMR's. There are Forgestars. There are so many brands that I simply do not know about - there are too many of them. If you find something you like, and you're not sure - post a thread on it, or ask me in PM - either myself, or other people on this forum will always help out. Lastly, you can go the fully custom route and have a set of forged wheels built to your spec - where you would be able to specify any offset you want.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

nice job taking the time to explain

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Check out offset calculators online.

Here's an explanation by "pros": http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=wheels

Here's a simple calculator: http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

You shouldn't forget that the offset will have to change with the width of your wheels. For example, if you're current offset is ET43 and your wheel is 8 inches wide, but you go to a 9-inch wide wheel - even with the same offset the wheel will sit differently, because it has a wider section. I may not be expressing myself very clearly - sorry if this is confusing. But try to use known offsets vs your stock ones in the calculator and watch the deltas - how much more/less space you'll have on the inner and outer sides of the wheel inside the wheel wells.

Dude, seriously, do NOT panic!

First of all, go and sign up with e46fanatics - you'll now be watching their wheel classifieds like a HAWK!

Now, second: you've gotta figure out a few key things - do you want a square setup, do you want 19's or 20's, how wide are your wheels going to be... oh jeez, man, there are loads of choices out there. Look at realoem.com - search through 3 series wheels, X3's - there are lots of OEM wheels that fit. You can try to source those from forums, or eBay, or craigslist. You can go the proven route and get something like Miro's or VMR's. There are Forgestars. There are so many brands that I simply do not know about - there are too many of them. If you find something you like, and you're not sure - post a thread on it, or ask me in PM - either myself, or other people on this forum will always help out. Lastly, you can go the fully custom route and have a set of forged wheels built to your spec - where you would be able to specify any offset you want.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Contributors

I learned from some good people, Michael
Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi - Monaco Blue- Prem/Sport/Nav/Logic7

Very helpful.

Many Thanks.

I too am learning from some good people...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Members

Hi All!

I have '06 530Xi just like yours v_therussian, can someone give me a straight up answer? will 235/40/18 in front on 18x8 and 275/40/18 in rear on 18x8.5 fit? any spacers required?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sain_KZ
Hi All!

I have '06 530Xi just like yours v_therussian, can someone give me a straight up answer? will 235/40/18 in front on 18x8 and 275/40/18 in rear on 18x8.5 fit? any spacers required?
I would go with 245/40/18 up front.
Use this calculator to see for yourself: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

As you probably remember from reading in this thread, your overall diameters of front and rear wheels on an Xi have to be as close as possible to each other. Be very careful with this, so you don't damage the differential.

Cannot say anything about spacers - that depends on the offsets of your wheels. Generally, there are very few occasions where spacers are "required". Most times, when spacers are used, they are used to offset the wheels more aggressively and purely for looks. There are some very rare exceptions though.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 AM
Contributors

BTW I'm not sure I've mentioned this in here, but I personally have finally picked myself up a set of 19's. I ended up going with a square set of 8.5x19 BBS's. They are presently awaiting some tires and warmer weather.

I'm still on the hunt for those dampers - hoping to score a full set at a good price by the time driving season starts, so I can get everything installed, aligned and tuned by the middle of April, or so

Wish me luck
Old 02-16-2011, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

this is also a good resource. many of the e09 wheels fit the xi e60 cars. be mindful the oem et for a square 18 set is et43. you can see by looking at your car there is room to come out to et 30's but not more when on an 8" rim.

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Old 02-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I would go with 245/40/18 up front.
Use this calculator to see for yourself: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

As you probably remember from reading in this thread, your overall diameters of front and rear wheels on an Xi have to be as close as possible to each other. Be very careful with this, so you don't damage the differential.

Cannot say anything about spacers - that depends on the offsets of your wheels. Generally, there are very few occasions where spacers are "required". Most times, when spacers are used, they are used to offset the wheels more aggressively and purely for looks. There are some very rare exceptions though.
Thanks! Thats a great thread to learn from! As I understood you would recommend getting 245/40/18 all around? What offsets would you recommend?

And congrats on your new wheels! Post some pics later on!)
Old 02-17-2011, 12:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sain_KZ
Thanks! Thats a great thread to learn from! As I understood you would recommend getting 245/40/18 all around? What offsets would you recommend?

And congrats on your new wheels! Post some pics later on!)
I can't tell you anything about offsets, without knowing your rim width. But anywhere between ET43 and ET30 would work on a "square" (all four wheels same size) setup. I'm running ET43's up front and ET43 with 12.5mm spacers in the back - effectively, ET30.5. And I have A LOT of space to spare. This is my "winter" setup. My summers are a square ET35, and I'll probably keep the spacers in the back, so I'll have ET20.5 in the back with an 8.5inch wide rim. May rub though - that's kinda aggressive - will have to see when push comes to shove.

And you can definitely run staggered, if that's what you want. Just make sure that your overall rolling diameters are almost same front and rear.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi