Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by mazekid15
I got style 128 wheels. Offset 46 in front and 51 in rear for 535xi. 10mm in the front and 15 mm spacers in the rear. No vibration at any speeds. What an upgrade for cheap and a beautiful set of OEM wheels.

Sitting slightly high but KW Coils seem not good for this car. Many acquaintances and friends have had issues with them. Not looking to track the car so that isnt for me. Doesnt seem like anything else is out there! Theres really no other option since XI are so limited. Would like to do Koni Yellows and Pro Kit Springs but not available. Hopefully can invest in downpipes and FMIC instead!

Stock look first then new look.
Love those 128's!

As for lowering options, here's what I'm about to install (along with another Xi member). I have a set of short H&R Sport springs already sitting at my house, and I just ordered a set of Bilstein B8 dampers for Xi. These used to not be available in the States, but alas, another member and myself have just ordered a set each so if you're interested in this option, talk to Michael (Acute Performance) - he hooked us up with an awesome deal. The cost of this is about half (if not less) than that of the KW's. I believe we will be the first E60 Xi's with this setup in the States.

B8's are shorter dampers than the OEM replacement B6's, hence they will sit perfectly with the slightly softer progressive H&R Sport springs. I will do a full write-up on this setup after I install everything. I don't "track" my car competitively - E60 isn't really for that. But I do love me some curves, so rest assured I'll be pushing this setup to the limit soon enough - and will report my findings as best I can.

Coincidentally, I have been ramp-testing my car for body roll past couple of days and I want to tie down the lower points of the rear suspension. Which should be possible, since Xi's rear axle specs are same as the RWD's AFAIK, which means RWD E60's rear anti-roll bar should fit. Will double check this against some hard specs, as I could, of course, be wrong on this hypothesis. But if I can tie down the back end a little, I believe the handling limit will go up very significantly - the front doesn't seem to roll at all.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 AM
Contributors

Possibly very big news - if this gets confirmed.

http://www.nextgentuning.com/D2_Raci...uct--2686.html

According to this site, the D2 Racing RS Coilovers are available for Xi. Under a grand too! Of course, I've been over-excited about coilovers being available for the Xi before, so we'll have to get some vendors/manufacturer to confirm this is true. Then there's the case of quality, etc. But something to consider.

The reason I found these in the first place is because I'm looking for a lower sway bar for the rear, and according to this site, Ultra Racing makes one. Will try to get it confirmed. Might be getting it, but I've heard Ultra's bars are on the heavy side - would much rather go with something light.

Stay tuned
Old 03-02-2011, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PLease keep me posted! I'd love to go that route and save some $$.. Looking forward to seeing what it looks like as well!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Contributors

So, of course, it turned out to be yet another BS

Here's the answer from the site:

Thanks for the recent message regarding the D2 Racing Coilovers for the E60. We checked with D2 just to be 100% positive and they advised us that they were mistaken, they don't fit the AWD vehicles. We apologize for the mix up, but is there a certain price range or company you're looking to get? We deal with many other brands and we don't want to turn away without helping you in some way. Please let us know.
Sorry guys.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

How much were the bilsteins?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Just to be sure before I order my wheels, does everyone think an ET32 9" rim will be ok on the E61 xi wagon? BMW oem wheel, 9"x18" ET32

I plan all 4 to be 9" / ET32. I am ok if it requires rolling fenders for hard cornering but would prefer if it's not required for just rolling along. I also realize tire size affects the results and I'm ok with stretch just a touch but not too much if it affects handling. I'm thinking a 255/40 most likely.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
And yes, Michael, ET30 front and ET33 rear is in fact aggressive. However, C reported no issues with rubbing.
So, I'm waffling on which wheel I want and part of this is wanting a certain design while hoping it could be made to fit.

I am not going to ever lower the car at all. So, is there any chance that a front 8.5" ET29 and rear 9.5" ET23 could work?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

I don't think those offsets will work, maybe the front but the rear is questionable.

Michael
Owner
Acute Performance

Originally Posted by jwestpro
So, I'm waffling on which wheel I want and part of this is wanting a certain design while hoping it could be made to fit.

I am not going to ever lower the car at all. So, is there any chance that a front 8.5" ET29 and rear 9.5" ET23 could work?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Contributors

First of all, neither of these would work with 20's IMHO. Your fenders would have to be pulled (not rolled) by something like 10mm, which would crack the paint and is just not worth it.

Just to be sure before I order my wheels, does everyone think an ET32 9" rim will be ok on the E61 xi wagon? BMW oem wheel, 9"x18" ET32

I plan all 4 to be 9" / ET32. I am ok if it requires rolling fenders for hard cornering but would prefer if it's not required for just rolling along. I also realize tire size affects the results and I'm ok with stretch just a touch but not too much if it affects handling. I'm thinking a 255/40 most likely.
Would be too wide up front and most likely will rub - with or without fender roll.

Would come out too far in the back - this is whether you go with 20's or 19's.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Senior Members

I thought others had done et32 up front, on a 8.5" ? so a 9" ET32 will not work for sure up front?

thanks

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi