Meet & Greet Discussion Plan for and discuss meet and greets with fellow forum members along with other BMW events. Share the results too!

E60.NET European Meet -- Sat. 26 April 2008

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Thanks for the kind words and the ideas. Here's some answers to your questions...

Originally Posted by luxembourg' post='553619' date='Mar 31 2008, 06:27 PM
1) - As I will arrive from direction South of Nurburg (I live less than 100km from Nurburgring and about 130 from Euskirchen), it may happen that I will only join you in Nurburg, is that OK (just in case)?
However, I'll try to do my best and meet in Euskirchen (is it decided to be 10:00? it's still kind of early wake-up for a weekend, isnt' it? )

No problem, but you'll miss out on the initial meet & greet and cruise. What ever suites you best

3) - I have two friends (one in Luxembourg + one in Brussels) who are eager to ask if they may join us, however they're still not sure about the date and... they're both in their E90s but I assume it's OK..?

Your friends are more than welcome. Both Garehaan (aka The REAL RingTaxi!) and Thyrus (Patrick) will be joining us in their E90s. Just post up your friends names and I'll add them to the list.

4) - I may arrive with my girl afterall (she wants to see the ring; we pass it by so many times on our way and yet never had time or chance to stop by), but please let's agree on it ahead of time: are there any girls coming (??), or should I assume more of guys-thing? She would definetly feel a bit strange to be the only girl on the ring

A number of us will be their with our better halves, so your girl won't be on her own

5) - For all those who want to stay overnight in Koln: are you sure? Ok, here's is my small 3cts....
and no offense but in my opinion it's (generally) quite ugly city ....
Cathedral is a piece of art, but still: parking, driving and walking around Koln is not fun, not at all :thumbsdown:

As for us, we may rather hit back home after the Nurburg meet in the evening, but if I were you and already in the area, I would rather consider either Dusseldorf - the beautiful, yet also big city with a very nice walk passage at the Rhein, where you find lots of cozy restaurants and bars, few brewerys serving their unbelievably tasty beer directly from the huge fermentation tanks... etc etc..
Dusseldorf is only about 130km (North) from Nurburg and on the way there you will find few nice and flat kms of A1 without any speed limit (I know this area as we visit our friends in Dusseldorf every now and then).

Or, if you really want to see (and stay overnight) in a beautiful German city I would also recommend my Trier which is the oldest town in Germany, built and established by Romans ( those Empire guys... )
Nurburg - Trier is only 87 km, and after you pass some road-works near Wittlich you will also have a nice stretch of speed unrestricted A1 (not as flat as the one towards Dusseldorf, but still)

And do I have to mention that Trier region is very famous for its wonderful vineyards which produce the fruity-flowery Mosel reisling wines, known and appreciated around the globe? And you can do it all around here: wine tasting, great food, awesome castles' visiting, boat ride along Mosel all the way to Koblenz if you wish (beautiful scenic views along the Mosel-Saar Wine valley) One more word: last year I had friends coming over here all the way from California just to see and appreciate the "wine - valley", prettier than anything they even have there... A true thing!

We simply chose K?ln because I know the city and have friends there who can give me some insider tips for a good night out. I know its not the most picturesque city as a whole, but its certainly not Duisburg or Kaiserslautern! We'll be at the 'Ring etc most of the day, so I did not think about doing any site seeing in the evening / next day. As it happends, I've literally just found out that we could stay in the 5-star Renaissance Hotel for 129,- for a double room. The hotel is in the middle of the bar / restaurant area of K?ln (Friesenplatz) and approx. 1km from the Alt Stadt with all the traditional K?lsch-Bars, the Cathedral and the Rhein. It also has secure parking and I'd naturally try to negotiate a better group rate for us.

I think your suggestions are great for sight seeing -- lets see if anyone wants to go that route -- I'd also be more than happy with a night out in D?sseldorf at the "longest bar in the world" (- the road in the Alt Stadt with one bar after another ).

Anyone want to head to D?sseldorf instead of K?ln??
Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

No problem, but you'll miss out on the initial meet & greet and cruise. What ever suites you best
Pete, you're absolutely right: we all need to get together at one place/hour otherwise it will be a mess.
I am sorry, just didn't think it all the way through at first...
( It's my lazy, long-morning sleeping person who spoke )

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='553732
A number of us will be their with our better halves, so your girl won't be on her own
Perfect, it's settled then. Please count us "luxembourg x 2" (Jarek & Blanka)
Old 03-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

Location: Luxembourg (work) / Germany (home) / Poland (heart ;)
My Ride: MY RIDES: Previous: 1997 BMW 528i E39 | graphit mettalic | black leather | electric heated and pumped comfort seats + memory (seats, wheel, mirrors) | factory xenon | LPG gas installation (Dutch / Prinz) w/direct sequential injection (same pwr and same cons.)+80L tank in the spare wheel place | cruise ctrl, electric sunshade | ABS | ESP | 4 airbags (never used :) | electronic AC (2 side) | Board computer | Leather heated multifunction wheel | Radio Profess.+tape+6 CD changer+subwoofer+10 spkrs+DSP | alu 17" AEZ + Turanza 235/45/ZR17 | rain sensor | factory GSM built-in | Asus A636 GPS navigation TomTom | HISTORY: 1999 BMW 735 | 1994 VW Golf GT | 1994 Citroen Xantia | 1997 Renault Megane Coupe | 2000 Alfa Romeo 146 | 1994 Renault 19 | 1995 Toyota Camry | 1994 Audi 100 | 1978 VW Golf (the only diesel so far...) FUTURE: (2011-2012) F11 530xd Msport ultimate DREAM: M5 diesel :)

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='553732
[...] we could stay in the 5-star Renaissance Hotel for 129,- for a double room. [...] I'd naturally try to negotiate a better group rate for us.
Pete, you're THE MAN! You got me interested in visiting Cologne once again!
Honestly, aside from the city, it sounds perfect!

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='553732' date='Mar 31 2008, 10:27 PM
I think your suggestions are great for sight seeing -- lets see if anyone wants to go that route -- I'd also be more than happy with a night out in D?sseldorf at the "longest bar in the world" (- the road in the Alt Stadt with one bar after another ).
I'm sure you can find a decent hotel at acceptable rates pretty much anywhere in Germany in April, so it shouldn't be any problem.
Basically, as I live sort-of around I thought to suggest you guys some sight seeing on the occassion.
It's not that "well-known tourist region" anyway, so it might be the only chance for some?
But both, the Germany's oldest city and the longest bar in the world sound appealing

Afterall, are we gonna have a GREAT MEET or what??!
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Hotel Bookings:

I have just made reservations for the people listed below at the Marriott Renaussance Hotel in Cologne (K?ln). Its a 5-star hotel and we have a weekend rate of EUR129,- per room (single or double). Breakfast is extra, but I suggest we go to one of the nearby restaurant-bars for brunch -- they'll have more atmosphere and be half the price!
Parking is EUR24,- per vehicle and cannot be reserved in advance as it is part of a public car park, but I was told that it should not be an issue.

Reservations are as follows:

1) MacSid + Mrs. MacSid (Sat.)
2) xBMWx + Mrs. xBMWx (Sat.)
3) Thyrus + Ms. Thyrus (Sat.)
4) Hondik + Mrs. Hondik + Baby (Fri.)
5) IPP + 1 (Sat.??)
6) smoppett (Sat??)

I'll PM those listed above to get confirmation details, rather than doing it here in the Post.

If anyone else needs a room, please let me know ASAP...

Thanks,
Pete
Old 04-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Good work Pete !
Old 04-04-2008, 01:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

I spoke with xBMWx earlier in the week, and our route is now set!! Details will be posted in the coming days, but here's the preview...

Meeting point:
BMW Hammer K?ln-West
Bayerische Allee 1
50858 K?ln

They are conveniently located on the junction of the A4 and A1 autobahns and listed on my 2007-2 navi DVD. Note however that this is one of 4 BMW Hammer dealerships on Cologne, and they all show up in the Navi system as "BMW Hammer K?ln", so it'll take a little doing to select the right one.

For any of our number who need/want the Germany Low Emission Zone stickers, the T?V Marsdorf branch is 1.5km from Hammer K?ln-West, and they will issue the stickers on the spot for a EUR 5.50 handling fee. Coveniently, they are open on Saturdays from 10:00 to 13:00 .

Route
We leave Hammer to join the A4/A1 cloverleaf, and then:
1. Join the A4 dir. K?ln - this is a 10km stretch that should allow us to form up in a nice convoy.
2. At K?ln-S?d jct, join the A555 dir. Bonn - 18km of (mostly de-restricted) autobahn.
3. At Bonn-Nord jct, join the A565 - the first 7km of this is the Bonn ring, allowing some re-grouping
4. From Bonn-Hardtberg exit, stay on A565 - another 14km of mostly de-restricted autobahn.
5. A565 ends after 14km and turns into B257 - we stay on the B257 for 5km
6. Regrouping stop at the Hotel Kalenborner H?he (nice big carpark)
7. Run the last 31km to the Ring in our re-formed convoy

Given that it is 90km or so from the meet point to the Ring, this is our best route, and should take us about 1.5 hours, including the restricted sections and re-grouping time. The B257 will provide some scenic stretches and some twisties, but the highlight will really be the two hair-on-fire autobahn stretches (not to mention our destination).

At our last meet, the initial meet & greet took 1.5 hours, and there were only 9 of us that time. So, we should aim for a 10:00 kick-off, and aim for 1.5 to 2 hours at Hammer for the meet & greet. This will also allow time to run up to the T?V if needed. Starting the cruise at 12-ish should then get us to the Ring just about in time for the lunch reservations made by Pete.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by MacSid' post='555936' date='Apr 4 2008, 11:07 AM
2. At K?ln-S?d jct, join the A555 dir. Bonn - 18km of (mostly de-restricted) autobahn.

..de-restricted... That distanced is covered in only 3.5 min Sanjay ! we're gonna need more,more,more....

seriously, you guys are doing a terrific job in organising all of this - I was just about to go and get the zone stickers for like 15euros + admin charges, but will wait now..
Old 04-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' post='556292' date='Apr 5 2008, 12:36 AM
..de-restricted... That distanced is covered in only 3.5 min Sanjay ! we're gonna need more,more,more....
You can drive up and down that part of the route twice Andy -- I might even let you pass me on your second time through...
Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 AM
Contributors

Good work on documenting the route MacSid and for helping everyone with the Low Emission Stickers

Bring on the 26th!!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 AM
Contributors

Hello everyone,

Its all coming together just nicely

MacSid and I have been working away at this in the background and are in the process of consolidating all the information in one document / post. This will include details of the meeting points, obtaining T?V emissions stickers (where necessary), routes, the restaurant, the 'Ring, and the hotel & night out in Cologne.

Some of you mentioned that friends of yours or people from other forums may be joining us. Can you please follow up on these over the next week or so, so I can get the restaurant reservations sorted and we can get everyone's details for the info document -- thanks!

We're only a couple of weeks away now, so make sure to get those summer shoes back on your ride, get those new mods fitted on time*, and get everyone signed up for the event...

Cheers
Pete

* Thyrus (Patrick) and I have ordered Sprint Boosters, and Patrick also ordered a new set of 19" BMW Performance Rims for his 325d M-Sport

The attendee list:
1) xBMWx (Germany)
2) Andy545 (Netherlands)
3) nickgre (Greece)
4) hondik (Czech Republic)
5) BMWMB (Belgium)
6) MacSid (Netherlands)
7) IPP (Sweden)
8) Thyrus (Germany)
9) Doc Horror (Netherlands)
10) Kazimierz (Belgium)
11) Garehaan (Netherlands)