Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

German, French and English members, which is the price there ?
Here we ?1.50 the 95 octane, ?1.60 the 98 and I don't want to know the price of the 100 octane

Per liter, obviously. ($10/gal US)
Old 05-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='590613' date='May 29 2008, 08:15 AM
German, French and English members, which is the price there ?
Here we ?1.50 the 95 octane, ?1.60 the 98 and I don't want to know the price of the 100 octane

Per liter, obviously. ($10/gal US)
See my earlier post for UK...
Old 05-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vandal1x' post='590450' date='May 29 2008, 04:07 AM
but us yanks dont have public transportation like you brits
Correct - yours is better.

I have used the public transportation system in NY, NJ and London (and other UK cities). Yours is better.

When you get away from cities there is much more use of cars to commute but again the UK-wide rail system is mickey mouse compared to the US system.

Experience in the UK seems to indicate that as energy prices rise, people dont move to (expensive) public transport. They buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars.

(In the cities, some move to cycles - dont get me started).

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the same happens in the US. In fact, I think it already is.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='590524' date='May 28 2008, 09:58 PM
I find it funny that some of you are blaming Republicans or Bush/Cheney for rising gas prices. When the Democrats were running for Congress they made vows to address rising gas prices. They did take control of congress two years ago and gas prices have gone up over $1.20. Where is the Democrats solution? You know why neither party can't get anything done about gas prices, it is basically out of their control. Bush and Cheney have both gone to the Middle East on separate occasions, practically begging the OPEC nations to produce more oil, they simply turn down the requests.

1) Immerging markets like China, India, and Korea have finally moved into the 21st century. OPEC no longer feels any pressure to keep prices in line, as we are hardly their only or even their biggest market anymore. Even if we lower consumption, OPEC with just sell more oil to countries like China and they are just fine with paying high prices.

2) We have not built a new refinery since the Carter Administration, yet for a variety of reasons several have come off line in that time. With reduced refining capacity, the burdens of custom formulations(for different regions of the US), and environmental regulations even if we have adequate crude supplies, heavy demand outstrips the capacity to turn that crude into marketable products.

3) We import our oil from the Islamic nations of the Middle East, along with Venezuela, and Mexico primarily. Not exactly our best of friends. On the other hand, environmental groups quash every attempt to develop our domestic reserves.

4) As in any commodity trading, uncertainty and instability raise prices. The current fears regarding Iran's activities and other Mideast turmoil certainly casts uncertainties on the markets.

The main point: Oil is a worldwide commodity, with worldwide influences on its price. There is no single culprit in the rising price of oil.

Very well said

Attempts to build new refineries or drill for domestic oil have been blocked for decades by environmental groups and their allies in Congress / government..........this along with the massive increase in oil demand in China have been some of the main reasons for the increase in oil prices............BUT PLEASE don't confuse people with the real facts, after all they get more gratification from bashing Bush for everything that is wrong in the world anyways. Why should they bother to keep an open mind, do some research, and learn the facts on different issues when they can just blame it on Bush and Cheney........it takes a lot less time, is much easier, and gives them immediate gratification.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Custom Matt White Paint by PLATINUM VIP | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | 6 Speed Manual | Premium Sound | Oem ///M5 Front Bumper | Oem ///M5 Rear Bumper | OEM ///M5 Side Skirts | Oem ///M5 Trunk Finisher | Oem ///M5 Fenders | 20% Tint | Vip Modular Wheels | 21x9.5 F | 21 x11 R | Magnaflow Exhaust | AAA Oval Tips | RPI Scoops | KW V2 Coilovers | Predator Ice V2 Angel Eyes | LED Side Turn Signal Markers ( Smoked ) Cross Drilled Rotors | CF Engine cover | Axxis Deluxe Break Pads | K&N Drop in

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='588845' date='May 26 2008, 07:29 PM
And guess who's making all this money (with oil profits)? Bush and his buddies.
+1
Old 05-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read all your comments and opinions and I have to say that we all (poor or rich) live under 5-6 companies cartel, which is the worst kind of fascism. They know well that following alternative engine/power technologies like solar, hydro/wave power, wind, hydrogen, will get a big part of their ...profiteering (I wish It could happen ASAP) so they decided to recover their loss in advance, but the also worst case, is that the same powerful cartel will have again the power to control the new technologies, placing their preffered goverments around the world using the power of media at almost no cost and so controlling all of us, rich or poor people.
The only difference is that poor people are already having problems, while rich people can stand difficult situations, like the one we are currently live, for a longer period of time, or forever, but their descendants, they will have a very hard life to live (huge inequality, attacks and the like ...history is made to learn people live together)

I have also to say that we spend today for the basic needs (as family) twice as much we had to spend back in year 2003-04 but our income remains the same and one of the main reasons is the above cartel ...and the sub-cartels it builds around us. So, poor and rich, we need to find a way to get rid off their fascism and their supporters...

No, I'm not anarchist if you wonder, no way, I'm on the contrary side, I just don't believe politicians anymore :thumbsdown:
They promise wonderful things asking your vote (1 min. job) and they do anything they ...and their friends like, for the next 4 years.

The strange thing is that rich (currently rich ...not sure about tomorrow, as following a crash, poor people will have nothing to lose) people with no breadwinning risk, who can withstand easier against this kind of bad situations, are watching relaxed their not so promising future, but only poor people are fighting. Strange world!!!

Just some thoughts ...as a two 10 YO kids father
Old 05-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='590634' date='May 29 2008, 03:23 AM
Correct - yours is better.

I have used the public transportation system in NY, NJ and London (and other UK cities). Yours is better.

When you get away from cities there is much more use of cars to commute but again the UK-wide rail system is mickey mouse compared to the US system.

Experience in the UK seems to indicate that as energy prices rise, people dont move to (expensive) public transport. They buy smaller, more fuel efficient cars.

(In the cities, some move to cycles - dont get me started).

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the same happens in the US. In fact, I think it already is.
I've traveled all over Europe for 3+ weeks at a time twice(not England) and I can say hands down your public transportation and layout structure of your cities is far and beyond what you find in 98% of America (Parents have done it around five or six times and only once rented a car). You can travel to Europe for a month and never need a car (rarely will you even feel like you wish you had a car). You can't come to the US unless you stay right in one of the few large cities that have a good transportation system and not be without a car. It's just impossible. I don't know how anyone could argue differently.

Plus the cities that do have good transportation mainly service the city itself and very few of the out lining areas. Most citizens can't afford to live a very good life in the city or even at all. New York for example (outside of the low income areas) your looking at rent being in the neighborhood of $2000+ a month for a one bedroom apt. (many places much higher and some less). You can't raise a family in a one bedroom apt.. A basic place to actually own and raise a family in N.Y. will run you around 500K at the low end of the market. So people move out of the city because they can't afford to live in them. But as soon as they do that the public transportation is gone, it doesn't run out to every suburb 60 miles out of the city.

Europe in a whole is far beyond us Americans in public transportation.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='588858' date='May 27 2008, 02:48 AM
That's exactly right!!! But Americans don't want scooters, they want 550's and SUVs and pick up trucks. And the market is reacting already. Look at sales of SUVs! They are falling through the floor, as they should.

Europe doesn't pay anymore than we do for a barrel of oil, but the governments have forced the issue for years with very high taxes on gasoline and diesel, along with high taxes on gas guzzling large cars. It has worked and forced consumers to buy small, fuel efficient cars or use public transport. It will take time for Americans to adjust but we need to invest in public transport like the Europeans. Make it easy and cheaper than driving and people will use it. Make it clean and efficient and it lose the perception that it is primarily for the poor, which is what many view buses and trains for. In areas like the Northeast where population is closely spaced, it is more widely used but in many cities like LA, Houston, Dallas etc it is poorly conceived and rarely used by most folks.
'Europeans' is much too big a net to cast. Its like me saying that cos the brazilians have lots of buses, so does the USA. For the Uk, although we have reasonable local buses and some trains, they are crap in practice.

This is a country where it rains most of the time. So who the heck wants to wait 20 mins in crap weather for a bus?

Trains. I work 50 miles from my home. There is a station 400 yards from my home - well, there was till it shut 40 years ago. The next is 4 miles away. Thats still ok. The station where i work is 10 mins walk away. In fact, the lines for both these stations run 200 yards from my place of work and house. Sounds ideal doesnt it? Until you find out that the train has to go into london and back out, involves 3.5 hrs trip, three changes, and a ticket cost over $100 equivalent. So much for euro public transport!

I have to fill up with diesel tonight on my way home. its 1.30uk pounds per litre at present. Thats 4.94 uk pounds per USA GALLON - $10 in your terms.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='590681' date='May 29 2008, 01:26 PM
I've traveled all over Europe for 3+ weeks at a time twice(not England) and I can say hands down your public transportation and layout structure of your cities is far and beyond what you find in 98% of America (Parents have done it around five or six times and only once rented a car). You can travel to Europe for a month and never need a car (rarely will you even feel like you wish you had a car). You can't come to the US unless you stay right in one of the few large cities that have a good transportation system and not be without a car. It's just impossible. I don't know how anyone could argue differently.

Plus the cities that do have good transportation mainly service the city itself and very few of the out lining areas. Most citizens can't afford to live a very good life in the city or even at all. New York for example (outside of the low income areas) your looking at rent being in the neighborhood of $2000+ a month for a one bedroom apt. (many places much higher and some less). You can't raise a family in a one bedroom apt.. A basic place to actually own and raise a family in N.Y. will run you around 500K at the low end of the market. So people move out of the city because they can't afford to live in them. But as soon as they do that the public transportation is gone, it doesn't run out to every suburb 60 miles out of the city.

Europe in a whole is far beyond us Americans in public transportation.
We can agree to differ on our relative views of our public transportation!

However, I stand by my main point. Even if the US does improve it's public transport system, it'll still be expensive and it will not actually take a lot of people to the place they actually want to go! The answer is more fuel efficient or smaller cars (at least in the short term). BMW are demonstrating that it's possible to drive a reasonably large saloon (sedan) with a modest diesel engine that has performance enough for 95% of your needs and wants (the other 5% being when you have the opportunity and inclination to really press the go button...)
Old 05-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='590524' date='May 29 2008, 05:58 AM
3) We import our oil from the Islamic nations of the Middle East, along with Venezuela, and Mexico primarily. Not exactly our best of friends. On the other hand, environmental groups quash every attempt to develop our domestic reserves.
The USA imports more crude oil and petroleum from Canada than it does Saudi Arabia.

The top 5 are (in this order) Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Nigeria and Venezuela. Developing 'domestic reserves' is not exactly going to be easy: the USA already has more than half of the oil wells in the world and peak production was almost 40 years ago.

BC

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.