Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgun95' post='595164' date='Jun 3 2008, 09:46 PM
Useless war! Well let me tell you about this useless war - It has caused one of my best friends to pass away for his country in a attack helicopter, caused me to go to his daughters wedding and read a poem of why he was not at the table they set up for him and thats to name a close one. Most recently, yesterday, 2 close friends went down in another helicopter, one may be paralyzed from the waist down and the other is in back brace. This doesn't speak for the 4200 or so who have given all for there country so you can sit at home on your fat ass shining your BMW and drinking a toddy. So keep the "Useless War" crap comments between yourself and the rest of your friends who are at hoem right now safe and sound. Maybe you need to make a phone call to the wife who is leaving tomorrow to head out to Walter Reed to meet her husband who may never walk again. OR, maybe you should be standing on the ground with the "Gold Star Wives" (those who have given the ultimate sacrifice) while we do the missing man flyover on Saturday. That would be a humbing experience that will surely change your tone! Oh, did I forget to mention all the terrorists that we put in a hole so you can polish your prized possession in peace this weekend! Forgive the rant, but comments like these really piss me off when its up close and personal. I surmise your a bleeding heart democrat? Thats OK, get one of your buddies to give you a hug and tell you it will all be OK! WE will make it OK!

when did gas price become politically?

however, as being canadian, i feel sad to see how the US government is playing internationally. as one of our best friends, The US government is acting way too aggressively than it should. No offense, i admire what you did( if you are in the military force or any sort) for your country as you are ONLY taking orders from your boss, however, the wars towards Iraq is a Joke and the reason of a War towards Afghanistan is a riddle. please dont give me any human right and freedom thing since we all know the truth behind them.

anyway, you protect your country(and probably Canada as well), as orded, so all of us can sit tight at home enjoying our lives, which is great, but do we really like warS? hell no. so useless War is a term to express our feeling about wars, NOT ABOUT SOILDERS, JUST THE WAR BY ITSELF, that is all. afterall, those countries are like 9000km away from us. what happen down there, its god's business.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

We can always pray.....
http://video.google.com/videosearch?source...a=N&tab=wv#
Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='594780' date='Jun 3 2008, 05:25 PM
Can someone please explain to me how we can invade the second largest oil producing country in the world and have gas prices double?? That makes no sense at all. You would think that the president was in the oil business rather then busy running our country.
War creates turmoil, which leads to uncertainty. The market become unreliable. Due to this, speculation drives the prices higher, unreliable constant source of oil.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigAardvaark' post='594804' date='Jun 3 2008, 06:48 PM
Go to http://www.petrolprices.com and look at the comments section to the latest blog entry for an insight to how bad it's become in the UK right now. Convert 1 pound (sometimes called a "quid". On my first ever trip to the US I met a guy from North Carolina who was my best friend because I had some spare UK change and gave him a "quid") to 2 US dollars.

The UK is a very different culture to the US, we seem to let companies charge us double what the rest of the world pays for the exact same products. We huff and puff under our breaths but we do nothing about it. We just pay. In fact, the last time I exclaimed in surprise "HOW MUCH???!!!" in my local supermarket, the checkout girl just looked at me as if I'd just told her she was a female canine who works in the worlds oldest profession.

In the multinational corporate world, the UK is known affectionately as "Treasure Island". The companies themselves will blame VAT on this.
Well said BigArard, we are ripped off left, right and centre......but we do nothing about it!!!!
It's a bit like bad service in a restaurant.....our American cousins wouldn't put up with it, and when you visit the US it's great.
Yet here we mutter under our breath, moan to our dinner companion, then pay the bill and leave a tip!!!!!

The last time i kicked off in a reataurant about the shoddy service and the quality of food, my dinner guests sat there looking at me in horror......and i didn't swear once!!!!!

But my point is - if that happened in the US, the other diners would agree and have there say also, and not leave a tip!!!!!

We British need to find some backbone!!!!

Rant over!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nikem4' post='595230' date='Jun 4 2008, 04:21 AM
when did gas price become politically?

however, as being canadian, i feel sad to see how the US government is playing internationally. as one of our best friends, The US government is acting way too aggressively than it should. No offense, i admire what you did( if you are in the military force or any sort) for your country as you are ONLY taking orders from your boss, however, the wars towards Iraq is a Joke and the reason of a War towards Afghanistan is a riddle. please dont give me any human right and freedom thing since we all know the truth behind them.

anyway, you protect your country(and probably Canada as well), as orded, so all of us can sit tight at home enjoying our lives, which is great, but do we really like warS? hell no. so useless War is a term to express our feeling about wars, NOT ABOUT SOILDERS, JUST THE WAR BY ITSELF, that is all. afterall, those countries are like 9000km away from us. what happen down there, its god's business.
Hey it's nice having the largest "super power" in the world as your buddy, but......how many fights have you got to pick with the rest of the world guys?????????
Old 06-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mr Five' post='607725' date='Jun 22 2008, 01:18 PM
Well said BigArard, we are ripped off left, right and centre......but we do nothing about it!!!!
It's a bit like bad service in a restaurant.....our American cousins wouldn't put up with it, and when you visit the US it's great.
Yet here we mutter under our breath, moan to our dinner companion, then pay the bill and leave a tip!!!!!

The last time i kicked off in a reataurant about the shoddy service and the quality of food, my dinner guests sat there looking at me in horror......and i didn't swear once!!!!!

But my point is - if that happened in the US, the other diners would agree and have there say also, and not leave a tip!!!!!

We British need to find some backbone!!!!

Rant over!
I've held off adding to this rant but I can hold back no longer.

The restaurant analogy is a pretty good one. If you're not happy with the restaurant then you can vote with your wallet and go to another. The problem with gas is that we're all dining at McDonalds. If we don't like it we can visit another McDonalds but it's the same, sure you can buy E85 and B80 for some cars or buy into the Gas-Electric Hybrid hype but that's just like going to a McD's and ordering a diet Coke with your Big Mac. Sure any little bit helps but until there are alternatives we're screwed.

Current talk of energy policies and windfall taxes is nothing more than window dressing. We don't have a policy other than to keep doing what you're doing and close our eyes because it will all go away just like it did in the early 70's. Taxing the oil companies because of their record profits is like blaming the bar tender for making you an alcoholic. Anyway, where do you think they pass on those taxes to? We'll just pay in the form of higher prices but we can sure show them by sticking it them with windfall taxes, right? And we're back at square one.

As much as I don't like the impact higher fuel is having on the economy and my income I hope we see $6 so that we can get more public transportation, more energy efficient cars, and perhaps break free from oil dependancy. My only fear is that cars will be little anemic 4cyl econo-boxes we saw in the late 70's maintaining our dependency on oil without looking for true alternatives. I don't want to see the end of the IC engine but I think we need options like the H7 or the Tesla Roadster and even the Volt in mass production in addition to a transportation system that doesn't leave millions of people idling their vehicles in 3+ hours of rush hour traffic each day, but that's an entirely different rant.

Changes like this requires a 25-40 year plan and that seems very unsexy in an environment where 4-6 years is the length of an elected officials office term. And the public attention span only makes things worse.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: stock non-sport alpine white '04 530i

i heard on the news that if gas hits 6 bucks, the US is gonna have a meltdown in economic growth, and we might be thrown into another depression, so i doubt the country would let that happen
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

It will not hit $6 a gallon. I actually believe its going to go down soon.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by i<3e60' post='608796' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:52 AM
i heard on the news that if gas hits 6 bucks, the US is gonna have a meltdown in economic growth, and we might be thrown into another depression, so i doubt the country would let that happen
I remember hearing the same thing in the news about the price of oil hitting $70, $90, $120 a barrel.