E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote Initialization (Diamond Key)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 E60 525i
Default Remote Initialization (Diamond Key)

Hi Guys,

Even with all the research I've done beforehand, it seems like this is over my head and I need to get some expert advise here. Long story short, I want to initialize a new remote to my car and I can't get my car to go into remote initialization mode.

Long story, full version:

My car is a 2005 525i with a 11/2004 build date, which means it has the old style diamond key with the integrated remote. I only have one master key and the plastic valet key, both of which works without any issues whatsoever. The remote functions works crazily far away, I've seen it unlock and lock my car from well over 75ft away.

Now, since the one master key is kinda old and a bit worn, I was thinking of buying one of those nice bentley style flip blade fobs off of ebay and putting the EWS transponder from the valet key into the new fob.

I have new fobs here ready to go and I try to initialize the remotes, which according to my research goes something along the lines of: Unlock the driver's door with the actual key, get inside, close all doors, insert working key, turn ignition to position 1 (first click), turn ignition back to 0, take key out of ignition, press and hold unlock and click lock 3 times, locks will cycle once to confirm.

My problem is, it never does the locks cycling to confirm thing. I've tried pretty much all variations of the procedure without any success at all. So my question is, has anybody else with my style of key tried the initialization procedure and got it to work correctly? I know the bentley manuals people say this procedure applies to the E60 chassis, but every video on youtube regarding this procedure is done of the E39, E46 or the E53 chassis.

Also, I know the car was delivered with 2 master keys, but I don't know if the one I have is actually key #1. Does that matter or should both master keys work?

I also notice that when I press and hold the unlock button immediately after cycling the key in the ignition, the door locks tried to unlock again (it was already unlocked), and if I keep holding the unlock button without starting to click the lock button, the windows will start to open as they should since I have comfort open and comfort close coded. Is that something which could trip up the procedure? Should I code the comfort open/close out before doing the procedure?

Note that I haven't even started with the new remote yet, all I'm trying to do at this point, is to try to get the initialization procedure started.

Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm completely stumped.

Many thanks,
Tony
The following users liked this post:
Kgk (06-30-2021)
Old 09-04-2015, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d

Tony, I'm in the same boat as you!! I have both remote fobs. Both are diamond keys.

One remote works, the other doesn't. I've got the AA to check my dodgy key and they confirm it emits signals with a key is pressed, so I know that isn't duff. But, no matter what I do, I can't get the car to go into initialisation mode!!! The door locks simply won't cycle after pressing lock three times in a row!

Even had a main dealers parts guy come out to do the process and he was stumped too. He said it's best to book it in and get a diagnosis.

I don't have any error codes so nothing I can do in that department, and I doubt the dealers can do much more than that. Key number 1 or 2 doesn't matter, any key that can lock/unlock the car should be able to put the key into initialisation mode.

I was hoping there would be a way to initialise keys in DIS but I haven't found anything remotely related to it. All sorts of initialisation procedures for other components, but nothing for the key.

One strange thing I have noticed (because I have memory seats) is that I can't memorise a seat position to the key whose remote fob doesn't work. The red LED for the M button just doesn't flash!

I'll take another look in DIS to see if I've missed anything.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:44 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Believe you need Progman SSS for key programming, never done it myself but in my manual of my BMW diagnostic programs found this screenshot

Name:  PROGMAN-SSS.jpg
Views: 15476
Size:  83.5 KB

Last edited by cmyachtie; 09-11-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 E60 525i

Thanks guys. Good to know I'm not the only one sanjsanj and thanks cmyachtie for more insight into the remote programming. Seems all those videos and instructions are for anything but the E60 for a reason.

Now I'll have to find an indy with progman... Do you know by any chance if the same can be accomplished via ISTA/P?

Thanks!

Tony