Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Here is a description of Bluetec:

"BLUETEC incorporates additional emissions control technology. An advanced DeNOx (nitrogen-oxide-reducing) storage catalytic converter and a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) catalytic converter work together with the standard oxidizing catalytic converter and particulate filter to further reduce regulated emissions.

To meet even more stringent emissions requirements, the BLUETEC system could be equipped with another module ? AdBlue injection, replacing the DeNOx storage catalytic converter. A water-based urea solution, AdBlue is carried in its own tank and metered into the exhaust in minute quantities ? quantities so small that the tank only needs to be refilled during routinely scheduled maintenance. When AdBlue is injected into pre-cleaned exhaust gas, ammonia (NH3) is released, converting nitrogen oxides into harmless nitrogen (and water) in the downstream SCR catalytic converter. Called SCR for selective catalytic reduction, this process creates the most effective method of diesel exhaust gas after-treatment currently available. In Europe, AdBlue injection has already proven effective in more than 15,000 Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicles."
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue, Black Interior, Sport Package, Satellite

Here is the informaiton on the BMW website regarding their "Advanced Diesel" plans for the US:

"Clearly, this level of technology is predestined for the U.S. market, not only in terms of power and efficiency, but for its potential to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Which is why, in Fall 2008, we'll introduce two BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance vehicles in the U.S. - the 335d and X5 xDrive35d. In addition to being better for the environment, these diesel engines also have increased torque. This enhanced concept for minimum exhaust gas emissions has been developed to meet the strict emissions standards in effect in California and other states. BMW's BluePerformance technology filters and actually cleans the exhaust before it leaves the vehicle, making this generation of Diesel engines the cleanest BMW has ever produced. With reduced emissions from comparable gasoline vehicles, and near-elimination of both smoke and NOx emissions, BMW Advanced Diesels will be every bit as clean as CARB-legal gasoline engines when they are introduced in the US in 2008.

As a means of producing so much power with a minimum of environmental impact and a maximum of fuel efficiency, it's no surprise that BMW will be among the first to introduce 50-state clean diesel technology."
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='589973' date='May 28 2008, 07:56 AM
I noticed that one or two posters are saying that the US will implode if gas prices continue to rise.
The News of going over $6 (soon) from Wall Street Journal. I can see 8 or 10 next year.

It will take a long time fore most people to learn. The demend need to go down, as long as they give up on their beloved SUV, V8 or V10. Most trucks, SUV are seat single and V8 are snail over the freeway, what is the point? Nobody knows... Also many people get really offended if there is any word against their big boys.

I guess my lovely 530i may need to go too. It's parked more then drive anyways. It's an awesome car but well too bad... will see...
Old 05-28-2008, 06:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='590020' date='May 28 2008, 11:04 AM
Sorry that I edited your writing, but the answer to why diesels will not come the to US is
do to your old fashion oil refinery's, the diesel fuel is not the same high quality as in the EU.
This was true in the past, but recent changes in law now require ultra low sulfur fuel ( the key performance difference). Supplies are growing as refiners invest in the hydro facilities needed to produce the low sulfur diesel. Prices have skyrocketed for diesel worldwide due to limited supply and to Chinese conversion of coal powered generation capacity to diesel.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by fifthinarow' post='588783' date='May 26 2008, 08:21 PM
Really think you Yanks have got it easy.. I am currently paying ?5.65 a gallon or equivellent to $11.00 a gallon for diesel a waste product of petrol...
but us yanks dont have public transportation like you brits
Old 05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Personally, I feel bad for the truckers who pay $1000 or more for a fill-up! Most of the independent drivers are folding up and having to drive for big companies, if they can FIND a job that is!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

I find it funny that some of you are blaming Republicans or Bush/Cheney for rising gas prices. When the Democrats were running for Congress they made vows to address rising gas prices. They did take control of congress two years ago and gas prices have gone up over $1.20. Where is the Democrats solution? You know why neither party can't get anything done about gas prices, it is basically out of their control. Bush and Cheney have both gone to the Middle East on separate occasions, practically begging the OPEC nations to produce more oil, they simply turn down the requests.

1) Immerging markets like China, India, and Korea have finally moved into the 21st century. OPEC no longer feels any pressure to keep prices in line, as we are hardly their only or even their biggest market anymore. Even if we lower consumption, OPEC with just sell more oil to countries like China and they are just fine with paying high prices.

2) We have not built a new refinery since the Carter Administration, yet for a variety of reasons several have come off line in that time. With reduced refining capacity, the burdens of custom formulations(for different regions of the US), and environmental regulations even if we have adequate crude supplies, heavy demand outstrips the capacity to turn that crude into marketable products.

3) We import our oil from the Islamic nations of the Middle East, along with Venezuela, and Mexico primarily. Not exactly our best of friends. On the other hand, environmental groups quash every attempt to develop our domestic reserves.

4) As in any commodity trading, uncertainty and instability raise prices. The current fears regarding Iran's activities and other Mideast turmoil certainly casts uncertainties on the markets.

The main point: Oil is a worldwide commodity, with worldwide influences on its price. There is no single culprit in the rising price of oil.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='590524' date='May 29 2008, 12:58 AM
I find it funny that some of you are blaming Republicans or Bush/Cheney for rising gas prices. When the Democrats were running for Congress they made vows to address rising gas prices. They did take control of congress two years ago and gas prices have gone up over $1.20. Where is the Democrats solution? You know why neither party can't get anything done about gas prices, it is basically out of their control. Bush and Cheney have both gone to the Middle East on separate occasions, practically begging the OPEC nations to produce more oil, they simple turn down the requests.

1) Imerging markets like China, India, and Korea have finally moved into the 21st century. OPEC no longer feels any pressure to keep prices in line, as we are hardly their only or even their biggest market anymore. Even if we lower consumption, OPEC with just sell more oil to countries like China and they are just fine with paying high prices.

2) We have not built a new refinery since the Carter Administration, yet for a variety of reasons several have come off line in that time. With reduced refining capacity, the burdens of custom formulations(for different regions of the US), and environmental regulations even if we have adequate crude supplies, heavy demand outstrips the capacity to turn that crude into marketable products.

3) We import our oil from the Islamic nations of the Middle East, along with Venezuela, and Mexico primarily. Not exactly our best of friends. On the other hand, environmental groups quash every attempt to develop our domestic reserves.

4) As in any commodity trading, uncertainty and instability raise prices. The current fears regarding Iran's activities and other Mideast turmoil certainly casts uncertainties on the markets.

The main point: Oil is a worldwide commodity, with worldwide influences on its price. There is no single culprit in the rising price of oil.
Well said
Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='590524' date='May 28 2008, 09:58 PM
I find it funny that some of you are blaming Republicans or Bush/Cheney for rising gas prices. When the Democrats were running for Congress they made vows to address rising gas prices. They did take control of congress two years ago and gas prices have gone up over $1.20. Where is the Democrats solution? You know why neither party can't get anything done about gas prices, it is basically out of their control. Bush and Cheney have both gone to the Middle East on separate occasions, practically begging the OPEC nations to produce more oil, they simply turn down the requests.

1) Immerging markets like China, India, and Korea have finally moved into the 21st century. OPEC no longer feels any pressure to keep prices in line, as we are hardly their only or even their biggest market anymore. Even if we lower consumption, OPEC with just sell more oil to countries like China and they are just fine with paying high prices.

Amen!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='590524' date='May 28 2008, 09:58 PM

Church!!!

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.