Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Be ready for over $6 / gallon.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='589274' date='May 27 2008, 10:51 AM
1) Bush is retiring with a multi-million bank account and America is not questioning it. WHY?? Why? Because he came into office with a multi-million dollar bank account, unlike the Clinton's...

2) Cheaney owns the construction company that's contracted with the military and we're at war and Cheaney is getting richer so as teammate Bush. Um, not quite. He was once the CEO but left the job to take office and no longer owns any stock. Halliburton is a publicly traded company...

3) People in office are CORRUPT. They know people don't give a SHIT so they take advantage. Can't totally disagree with this one! But did want to set the facts straight on the first two...
goog thinking, so whoever control the media has shutdown the knowledge base. We are not getting true infomration from News or any kinds. It isn't people don't give a damn, just most people are not properly informed. This entire system is planned, which could be the most disgusting scandal of history.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by baadaaboo' post='589318' date='May 27 2008, 01:57 PM
goog thinking, so whoever control the media has shutdown the knowledge base. We are not getting true infomration from News or any kinds. It isn't people don't give a damn, just most people are not properly informed. This entire system is planned, which could be the most disgusting scandal of history.
What is good thinking?

I'm not quite the conspiracy theory type but I do agree that the media in this country is awful. On both sides of the aisle. We need a third party to force the Dems and Reps out of their funk... Ultimately it is the people who elect these a-holes over and over again and all you have to do is look at the poor turn for EVERY election, from the smallest local seat to the national elections, to see how removed that average person is from the process.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Even if the people are informed most people don't do anything. Our government is CORRUPT enough to control the people and F**K with our minds. You see it's a hierarchy. RICH Private Interests controls our government then our government controls us.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

When this happens, I'll be on the R6 most of the time. Gas prices are ridiculous right now!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

dam bush is trying to squeeze out every penny before they boot him
Old 05-27-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Bottom line is as long as these oil company's can keep pumping oil there is no reason for them to hurry up on any alternative energy. They all like to talk the talk about it but its not like there doing the walk (more like a snail pace).

If a guy in his garage can make a diesel run on grease or college kids can come up with one of the many different ways of running a car on something besides gas, then an oil company or governments around that world that have billions of dollars to work with should have no problem coming up with a real solution. And that is the real issue in all this, there in bed with each other in most country's in some form or another.

P.S.: Oil isn't peaking in 2012. There is plenty of oil all around the world that hasn't even been tapped yet. Middle East oil is just the easiest/cheapest oil to get at. I just hope with all the profits these oil company's are making their at least saving some of it for future digging when they can see the light at the end of the tunnel of the easy oil days coming to an end. At least that may save us from them forking over the bill to us. But I'm sure with the way they spin everything we'll be stuck paying for that too.

To the people and media that try to compare a gallon of gas price to a gallon of coffee or whatever material just might be the most thoughtless sentences in this whole matter. If you want to live by that stupid theory then a gallon of molten hot gold is worth like $1,000,000 so stop buying gold. Talk about just apples and oranges.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='589082' date='May 27 2008, 08:01 AM
I'm sorry, but this is just wrong. Closing down gas stations does nothing to affect the demand for gas, it only restricts the supply of gas. It would be like saying "hey, why don't we save gas by making gas pumps use really small nozzles that barely trickle out the gas." If you closed all the gas stations on Sundays, then Monday morning there would be longer lines at the pumps, not less gas demanded. Many states don't allow alcohol sales on Sunday, but that doesn't stop people from drinking.

This thread is great, with some very insightful comments and suggestions. My thought is this: As the price of gas increases, it begins to make it financially viable to explore alternatives. No one is going to spend millions of dollars to come up with a gas substitute when gas itself is $1.24 a gallon, but when gas is $4/gal, and the demand is high and supply limited, then there is very large incentive to come up with something, which someone will do. Whether it's more biodiesel, ethanol (which I don't believe it), hydrogen, natural gas, french-fry oil, human waste, etc., I don't know, but something will be developed.

Interestingly, I also read this weekend about a group of people who believe in "Peak Oil," and the theory that we have hit "critical mass" and from now until 2012 the world's oil supplies are going to dry up, putting the world into chaos. These folks are moving to ranches, learning how to farm and grow their own food, use wood stoves to cook and heat their homes, and arming themselves to fight off the "city folk" who will one day leave the city and start scavaging for food. Interesting theory... would make a good book/movie, but I don't believe it.
You'd think that. But that isn't what happen when they did it. It's not meant to stop people from buying gas period. But the numbers did show a cut down on gasoline consumption and that was the point in the late 70's. Logic would seem to say people would just go buy more on Monday but that wasn't what happen. Seems backwards but it worked.

Look at your liqour store scenario. What your saying is if the liqour stores where open on Sunday at the end of the month the sales would be the same. We know that won't be true. The sales would be up. I'm sure any liqour store owner would agree.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='589543' date='May 27 2008, 05:59 PM
You'd think that. But that isn't what happen when they did it. It's not meant to stop people from buying gas period. But the numbers did show a cut down on gasoline consumption and that was the point in the late 70's. Logic would seem to say people would just go buy more on Monday but that wasn't what happen. Seems backwards but it worked.

Look at your liqour store scenario. What your saying is if the liqour stores where open on Sunday at the end of the month the sales would be the same. We know that won't be true. The sales would be up. I'm sure any liqour store owner would agree.
While you are correct about gasoline sales in the 70's falling it is really a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Gas stations were shut mainly due to the limited supply of gas, not really as a means to reduce consumption. The end result was the same, lower gas sales. Was that really a result of shut in gas stations or the consumers response to high gas prices. This is the time frame that brought the Japanese auto makers to the mainstream market, with smaller more fuel efficient cars, allowing them to capture market share from Detroit. Basically the consumer reacts to prices, it happened back then and it is happening again...
Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

Poor humans. We keep looking at the problem and not the SOLUTION. If all humans would only use more than 7% of their brain and stop being so greedy, we would not be discussing issues like these. Look at Brazil. They have been using ethanol from sugar beets to power their vehicles for decades now. So, anyway, here's another SOLUTION for those interested: let's use our waste products (food, paper, metal, plastic, etc.) to power our vehicles, heat/cool our homes, and make electricity. One really good fuel that comes from a lot of waste products (it's even found free in the world's oceans) is methane. It can be used straight or mixed with O2, CO2, etc. to make hybrid gases that have differing energy levels/molecule, differing carbon chains, etc. Heck, if we can have water-powered rockets, we can have water-powered vehicles. Just think of a sailboat. What do they use for power? No need for gasoline or any other pollution causing fuel. We were given our marvelous brains for a reason. We can make atomic bombs that WASTE enough energy to annihilate anything and everything within a 100-mile radius, yet we can't put all that energy to GOOD USE.

Typical and Pathetic.

So who else has another SOLUTION?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pentiumpush' post='589587' date='May 27 2008, 07:10 PM
Poor humans. We keep looking at the problem and not the SOLUTION. If all humans would only use more than 7% of their brain and stop being so greedy, we would not be discussing issues like these. Look at Brazil. They have been using ethanol from sugar beets to power their vehicles for decades now. So, anyway, here's another SOLUTION for those interested: let's use our waste products (food, paper, metal, plastic, etc.) to power our vehicles, heat/cool our homes, and make electricity. One really good fuel that comes from a lot of waste products (it's even found free in the world's oceans) is methane. It can be used straight or mixed with O2, CO2, etc. to make hybrid gases that have differing energy levels/molecule, differing carbon chains, etc. Heck, if we can have water-powered rockets, we can have water-powered vehicles. Just think of a sailboat. What do they use for power? No need for gasoline or any other pollution causing fuel. We were given our marvelous brains for a reason. We can make atomic bombs that WASTE enough energy to annihilate anything and everything within a 100-mile radius, yet we can't put all that energy to GOOD USE.

Typical and Pathetic.

So who else has another SOLUTION?
Other than the ethanol from sugar beets you highlight, none of the other ideas you toss out have been proven on any meaningful scale. It's easy to be the idea guy, turning the ideas into truly WORKABLE SOLUTIONS is the hard part...

Quick Reply: Be ready for over $6 / gallon.