Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

No Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='198538
Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='197957' date='Nov 14 2005, 03:25 AM
[quote name='stream' post='197639' date='Nov 13 2005, 09:05 AM']
Can't speak to WA, but I've lived in CA for 15 years and never had a front plate. Got 2 tickets in that time. $10 fix it ticket.
After 12 years of no front plate in CA, I got pulled over early this year. The price go up to $45 now, I have to go to a police department to show them I put my front plate on, and paid the fee.

So did you have to drill out your bumper to mount them? I too have no front plates in CA, but let's say I had to put them on if I was in your situation. I recently drove to vegas so I decided to put on my front plates, but I didnt wanna drill out my bumper. What I used believe it or not was 4 suction cups. They sell them at your local auto shop. I got mine at Pep Boys. Check out their plates aisle. It should be together with the plates screws. I was wonderin what the heck were these used for and the pic on the package was to hang or stick your "designer" license plate, like that retared lookin roundel plate LOL on your window i.e. back window, driver window, or where ever u want it. Well forget the inside I decided to put it on my front bumper. So I did and umm.... it looked pretty good, better than the factory mounts thats like so huge. It's totally flush on the front. The only thing you can put is plate cover/frame because the suction cups aren't long enough to mount it. So if you guys have a ticket or just wanna put your plates temporarily, then this is the way to go. If you plan on looking for those suction cups make sure you get the one that has the cups w/4 white plastic pins. There are 2 types that I know of. The other one simply just let's you hang your plate up not recomended, simply won't work. The pins keep the plate on the cups. All ya gotta do is clean up the surface push your plates on your bumper and voila! Instant mount with no drillin on your cherry bumper. Oh BTW I used this tactic of mine and drove it from L.A. to Vegas and back and I still had my plates on......I wanted to see if it gonna fly off, came back with plates still on and a load of bugs If yall want to see a pic then let me know, I gotta put my plate back and photo it.
[/quote]

Thats going to fall off no? I have problems with the suction cups on my radar detector and my Garmin hand held NAV... I would be afraid of 100mph wind against the plate and suction.

MAN I looked at the plate yesterday and I cant figure out a good secure way to put on the front plate w/out drilling!
[/quote]

I use double-sided tape to temporarily attach the front plate & bracket, then carefully remove it after ticket is signed off.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Centurion' post='198310
still dont like the idea of people driving round with no number plates displayed
I'm sure you've got a good reason, but I can't think of one.
[/quote]
well if thats the case why have number plates at all
im sure if some one was to hit you and drive off the number plate may help.................
Old 11-15-2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='198636
Originally Posted by tonye60' post='198208' date='Nov 14 2005, 01:17 PM
still dont like the idea of people driving round with no number plates displayed
I'm sure you've got a good reason, but I can't think of one.
well if thats the case why have number plates at all
im sure if some one was to hit you and drive off the number plate may help.................
[/quote]
Yes, having the plate may help, but it is not the only way to handle the 'hit and run'.

Last year my cousin was involved in a hit and run. I was the only passenger in the car with him. A guy behind us (a new White Camry) was doing some serious tail-gating and could not stop his car in time when traffic came to a stop. He proceeded to drive off, but not at a fast pace. As a matter of fact, he drove slightly faster than we were before the accident, but not trying to take-off. He probably thought there was no way we could turn him in being that he did not have any plates. Since he would not pull over, I called the police, described what had happened, gave a description of the violator's car and my cousin's car, and kept them informed as to our location. The cops found us within 10 minutes.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='198200' date='Nov 14 2005, 01:02 PM
I am confused with many people from US waiting for their new e60 in this forum. They are waiting for their e60 to be build and with a delivery date. If you are looking for a uniqe color, special options, or it's a 550/M5, that I can understand. But most of them are very standard colors and options, why the wait?? Can anyone explain. thanks.
For me, it was a matter of feeling like I had a "BMW Custom Built for me"!
But then again, I wanted SMG and that alone was enough for the dealer to say ,"I guess we'll have to special order..."

As for the front license plate, I have driven my 1998 328i without a plate now for 7 years. I believe that there are two MAIN reasons why I have not been caught yet:
1) My car stays in the garage every night.
2) I don't live in San Francisco where parking is a premium and there are many meter cops that are ready and willing to ticket a car without a front license plate.

Reason #1 above was supported by a ticket that my significant other received because her car is kept outside. Oh, and the fact that the neighbor down the street is a cop

I hope I didn't Jinx myself with my E60.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

So far i had two tickets for having no front plate... And i had to pay $10 fix it ticket. They said the fine would be higher if i get the 3rd fix it ticket.. so i had no choice but to...
Old 11-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='198898
I am confused with many people from US waiting for their new e60 in this forum. They are waiting for their e60 to be build and with a delivery date. If you are looking for a uniqe color, special options, or it's a 550/M5, that I can understand. But most of them are very standard colors and options, why the wait?? Can anyone explain. thanks.
Oh, and the fact that the neighbor down the street is a cop

[/quote]

How does it feel having a cop living close by you every day of the year?
splendid i bet!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='198538
Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='197957' date='Nov 14 2005, 03:25 AM
[quote name='stream' post='197639' date='Nov 13 2005, 09:05 AM']
Can't speak to WA, but I've lived in CA for 15 years and never had a front plate. Got 2 tickets in that time. $10 fix it ticket.
After 12 years of no front plate in CA, I got pulled over early this year. The price go up to $45 now, I have to go to a police department to show them I put my front plate on, and paid the fee.

So did you have to drill out your bumper to mount them? I too have no front plates in CA, but let's say I had to put them on if I was in your situation. I recently drove to vegas so I decided to put on my front plates, but I didnt wanna drill out my bumper. What I used believe it or not was 4 suction cups. They sell them at your local auto shop. I got mine at Pep Boys. Check out their plates aisle. It should be together with the plates screws. I was wonderin what the heck were these used for and the pic on the package was to hang or stick your "designer" license plate, like that retared lookin roundel plate LOL on your window i.e. back window, driver window, or where ever u want it. Well forget the inside I decided to put it on my front bumper. So I did and umm.... it looked pretty good, better than the factory mounts thats like so huge. It's totally flush on the front. The only thing you can put is plate cover/frame because the suction cups aren't long enough to mount it. So if you guys have a ticket or just wanna put your plates temporarily, then this is the way to go. If you plan on looking for those suction cups make sure you get the one that has the cups w/4 white plastic pins. There are 2 types that I know of. The other one simply just let's you hang your plate up not recomended, simply won't work. The pins keep the plate on the cups. All ya gotta do is clean up the surface push your plates on your bumper and voila! Instant mount with no drillin on your cherry bumper. Oh BTW I used this tactic of mine and drove it from L.A. to Vegas and back and I still had my plates on......I wanted to see if it gonna fly off, came back with plates still on and a load of bugs If yall want to see a pic then let me know, I gotta put my plate back and photo it.
[/quote]

Thats going to fall off no? I have problems with the suction cups on my radar detector and my Garmin hand held NAV... I would be afraid of 100mph wind against the plate and suction.

MAN I looked at the plate yesterday and I cant figure out a good secure way to put on the front plate w/out drilling!
[/quote]

I drove it like that to Vegas well above 100mph a few times and it was still there. If you wanna put doubleside tape thats up to you. I used my front plates temporarily, Theres no frikken way I'm gonna drill my bumper. I'd rather have a fix-it ticket or used suction cups.
Maybe your garmin/radar detector lil too heavy for the suction cup. BTW these suction cups were meant for the interior. Don't know what I mean? Check out the package I'm holding, look at the NASCAR plates. And if you're plannin on trying this out don't buy the package that I'm holding, Look for the one with 4 cups and 4 plastic pins, thats what holds up your plate.
Attached Thumbnails No Front License Plate?-9.jpg   No Front License Plate?-10.jpg   No Front License Plate?-alex.jpg   No Front License Plate?-cups.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e60.jpg  

No Front License Plate?-e602.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e603.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e604.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e605.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e606.jpg  

No Front License Plate?-e607.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e608.jpg   No Front License Plate?-untitled.jpg   No Front License Plate?-e608.jpg  
Old 11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Humm interesting... somthing to think about... Anyone go steal your plates? since they were so easy to take off.... I bet you can notice it when walking by...
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine white 2004 545, cold weather package, premium sound, sport package.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='199222' date='Nov 16 2005, 08:26 PM
Humm interesting... somthing to think about... Anyone go steal your plates? since they were so easy to take off.... I bet you can notice it when walking by...
Hmm...I don'tthink license plates are a hot commoditities, these days, so I'm not worried about somebody checking to actually see if my plates are bolted down, besides they have to come and and look for my plates buried somwhere un my garage becuse I don't even use it.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='198901
Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='198200' date='Nov 14 2005, 01:02 PM
Oh, and the fact that the neighbor down the street is a cop

How does it feel having a cop living close by you every day of the year?
splendid i bet!
[/quote]

That would suck big time <_<

Quick Reply: No Front License Plate?