Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

No Front License Plate?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xiT

I'm still running my Temp plates, but will get the permanent plates soon. Washington State requires a front plate, but I'm thinking about installing the rear plate only. Anyone have experience in Washington State running just the rear plate? I assume if you don't get stopped for a traffic violation, it should never be a problem.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Heh, heh: You'll get stopped. It's the Lazy Trooper's Laser Target.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 11-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Alpine White/Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Premium Package, Active Steering, Xenon Adaptive Headlights with Dynamic Auto-Leveling Production On 05/2005 Purchased On 07/2005

I don't know about Washington State, but in Vancouver you could be fined upto $200. Despite that I don't have mine on neither and have never been pulled over.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Contributors

same in NY. That is why i dont even think about it. I know it looks cool...but i rather avoid the hasle.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Got any connections with the local Five-0 dept?

They won't bother you if you got PBA cards or the right "documentation".
Old 11-12-2005, 04:02 PM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

In IL, front license plates are required by law. I think the consensus is that you really won't be pulled over just for not having a front license plate, but if you do get pulled over for any other reason, they'll nail you with a citation for not having a front license plate.

I got my front plate holder installed so I wouldn't have to worry about this!! I know it doesn't look as cool, but I don't want to shell out any extra $$ to the cops...
Old 11-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='197376' date='Nov 12 2005, 06:52 PM
I'm still running my Temp plates, but will get the permanent plates soon. Washington State requires a front plate, but I'm thinking about installing the rear plate only. Anyone have experience in Washington State running just the rear plate? I assume if you don't get stopped for a traffic violation, it should never be a problem.
I never put the front plates on my 03 M3, and drove it for 3 years in the Seattle area without any problems. I was pulled over once, but the officer did not notice the plate issue. I did keep the plates in the trunk with the idea that if pulled over I would admit that I forgot to have the front plates installed.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:05 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Can't speak to WA, but I've lived in CA for 15 years and never had a front plate. Got 2 tickets in that time. $10 fix it ticket.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:38 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

For what it's worth, Wisconsin requires a front plate, but in the over 10 years I've lived here, I've never had one. This is partly due to the fact that I live in Madison, and with so many students from states that don't require front plates, I doubt that the Madison Police (and UW Police...and Capitol Police...and Veteran's Administration Police...and Dane County Sheriff...and, well, do we have enough police agencies in Madison?!) really care too much. My wife, on the other hand, has been pulled over going through a small town that she'd never likely drive through again for:

- no front plate
- tinted cover on rear plate
- tinted front windows

...the kind of stuff you never hear about in the city. Needless to say, she made no changes to her truck.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

This is also a requirement in California.
Last time I got a ticket for not having a front plate was from the Parking Enforcement guy. My meter ran out of time, so on top of that, the jerk tacked-on "no front plate" to the ticket.

Don't like the look of the front end with a plate. Any car looks cleaner without one. Some go as far as purchasing a plate which has the roundel on a chrome background. To me, that is still considered not having a license plate.

Quick Reply: No Front License Plate?