5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Lounge (https://5series.net/forums/lounge-5/)
-   -   No Front License Plate? (https://5series.net/forums/lounge-5/no-front-license-plate-18396/)

rhnorb 11-12-2005 02:52 PM

I'm still running my Temp plates, but will get the permanent plates soon. Washington State requires a front plate, but I'm thinking about installing the rear plate only. Anyone have experience in Washington State running just the rear plate? I assume if you don't get stopped for a traffic violation, it should never be a problem.

Ray Hull 11-12-2005 02:59 PM

Heh, heh: You'll get stopped. It's the Lazy Trooper's Laser Target.

Cheers,
Ray Hull

arDi 11-12-2005 03:01 PM

I don't know about Washington State, but in Vancouver you could be fined upto $200. Despite that I don't have mine on neither and have never been pulled over.

amigo525 11-12-2005 03:09 PM

same in NY. That is why i dont even think about it. I know it looks cool...but i rather avoid the hasle.

jet190rs 11-12-2005 03:55 PM

Got any connections with the local Five-0 dept?

They won't bother you if you got PBA cards or the right "documentation". :whistle:

IHC 11-12-2005 04:02 PM

In IL, front license plates are required by law. I think the consensus is that you really won't be pulled over just for not having a front license plate, but if you do get pulled over for any other reason, they'll nail you with a citation for not having a front license plate.

I got my front plate holder installed so I wouldn't have to worry about this!! I know it doesn't look as cool, but I don't want to shell out any extra $$ to the cops...

darkside 11-12-2005 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by rhnorb' post='197376' date='Nov 12 2005, 06:52 PM
I'm still running my Temp plates, but will get the permanent plates soon. Washington State requires a front plate, but I'm thinking about installing the rear plate only. Anyone have experience in Washington State running just the rear plate? I assume if you don't get stopped for a traffic violation, it should never be a problem.

I never put the front plates on my 03 M3, and drove it for 3 years in the Seattle area without any problems. I was pulled over once, but the officer did not notice the plate issue. I did keep the plates in the trunk with the idea that if pulled over I would admit that I forgot to have the front plates installed.

stream 11-13-2005 07:05 AM

Can't speak to WA, but I've lived in CA for 15 years and never had a front plate. Got 2 tickets in that time. $10 fix it ticket.

das 11-13-2005 07:38 AM

For what it's worth, Wisconsin requires a front plate, but in the over 10 years I've lived here, I've never had one. This is partly due to the fact that I live in Madison, and with so many students from states that don't require front plates, I doubt that the Madison Police (and UW Police...and Capitol Police...and Veteran's Administration Police...and Dane County Sheriff...and, well, do we have enough police agencies in Madison?!) really care too much. My wife, on the other hand, has been pulled over going through a small town that she'd never likely drive through again for:

- no front plate
- tinted cover on rear plate
- tinted front windows

...the kind of stuff you never hear about in the city. Needless to say, she made no changes to her truck. :)

Centurion 11-13-2005 10:37 PM

This is also a requirement in California.
Last time I got a ticket for not having a front plate was from the Parking Enforcement guy. My meter ran out of time, so on top of that, the jerk tacked-on "no front plate" to the ticket.

Don't like the look of the front end with a plate. Any car looks cleaner without one. Some go as far as purchasing a plate which has the roundel on a chrome background. To me, that is still considered not having a license plate.