Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Not so fast gentlemen... Multiple manufacturers combined outsell just one? You don't say! May as well be discussing Ford, GM and Chrysler combining to outsell Toyota. No sh!t, Sherlock...! The other factor, and it is a big one, is that pretty much everyone knows that a new iPhone is just a month away...

Anyway - the bottom line is that strong competition is good. It's good for consumers to have two strong OS's and device families competing hard. In the end, doesn't matter which one you prefer, you need the other to continually up their game too.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pipper
just curious, if u buy a book for ipad, and then lose the ipad, can you redownload the book again on another ipad?
im old school, i like having actual physical books, so id never get one.
For apps at least, if you lose the device you can redownload the applications you bought to the replacement. You can't redownload music, but that's normally archived elsewhere (iTunes) and simply needs to be resynced. I am not yet aware of the policy for books but the bigger picture holds true which is that content synced with iTunes can generally be copied to additional/replacement devices at will.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
Not so fast gentlemen... Multiple manufacturers combined outsell just one? You don't say! May as well be discussing Ford, GM and Chrysler combining to outsell Toyota. No sh!t, Sherlock...! The other factor, and it is a big one, is that pretty much everyone knows that a new iPhone is just a month away...

Anyway - the bottom line is that strong competition is good. It's good for consumers to have two strong OS's and device families competing hard. In the end, doesn't matter which one you prefer, you need the other to continually up their game too.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames
The other factor, and it is a big one, is that pretty much everyone knows that a new iPhone is just a month away...
Gizmodo rocks: http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I just recently picked up the HTC Droid Incredible. I am really enjoying this phone. It blows my old Blackberry away. I'm not going to debate on which phone is better because I've never owned the iPhone, but from what I've seen on the phones that friends have, this HTC seems to do just about everything the iPhone does. I definitely would consider the iPhone if it were to be offered on Verizon, but as long as it remains exclusive to AT&T, I'll have to always look elsewhere. I have had AT&T service in the past and it was absolutely horrible in my area. For me the priority is service first, then the phone itself. Honestly, I just don't understand why Apple chose AT&T as an exclusive partner. If they had chosen Verizon or not granted exclusivity to AT&T, they would probably have absolute dominance in the smartphone market. RIM I expect would have been relegated to a distant second.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by ENstig8or
I just recently picked up the HTC Droid Incredible. I am really enjoying this phone. It blows my old Blackberry away. I'm not going to debate on which phone is better because I've never owned the iPhone, but from what I've seen on the phones that friends have, this HTC seems to do just about everything the iPhone does. I definitely would consider the iPhone if it were to be offered on Verizon, but as long as it remains exclusive to AT&T, I'll have to always look elsewhere. I have had AT&T service in the past and it was absolutely horrible in my area. For me the priority is service first, then the phone itself. Honestly, I just don't understand why Apple chose AT&T as an exclusive partner. If they had chosen Verizon or not granted exclusivity to AT&T, they would probably have absolute dominance in the smartphone market. RIM I expect would have been relegated to a distant second.
I completely agree with everything you said. I am not an iPhone drone, but I would consider it if it were on a better network. My in-laws have AT&T, and it works in a lot of places EXCEPT their house - kinda pointless then, isn't it?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or
+10000. AT&T Wireless sucks -- at least in New York City. By marrrying itself to AT&T, Apple opened a huge void which Google filled like a champ. A very stupid and costly mistake indeed. I have never considered the iPhone due to AT&T's horrific network coverage/reliability. That opened my heart and my wallet to the Motorola Droid with Verizon. I don't dispute that the iPhone is a great smartphone but it makes for a lousy phone in NYC.

True story: a number of years ago I interviewed at AT&T Wireless in Paramus, NJ for a position as in house counsel. The interview was going strong UNTIL they asked me what cell phone carrier I used. I won't lie to get a job so I admitted that I used Verizon. The interview was quickly terminated. Needless to say I did not get the job.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by sdg1871
True story: a number of years ago I interviewed at AT&T Wireless in Paramus, NJ for a position as in house counsel. The interview was going strong UNTIL they asked me what cell phone carrier I used. I won't lie to get a job so I admitted that I used Verizon. The interview was quickly terminated. Needless to say I did not get the job.

Are you serious? That is a ridiculous reason NOT to hire someone, what a bunch of idiots!!!! LOL I worked for Bell Atlantic/Verizon for 7 years in NYC, the whole time I had Sprint for service (they didn't offer a discount to Verizon core employees at the time). Never caused me not to get a raise or bonus. What a difference a REAL company makes.
Yes, Verizon is hands down the best network in NYC, in fact the only one where I have seen people get a call on the subway platform - amazing!!!! Then was always Sprint, followed (NOT closely) by T-Mobile and AT&T
Old 05-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Are you serious? That is a ridiculous reason NOT to hire someone, what a bunch of idiots!!!! LOL I worked for Bell Atlantic/Verizon for 7 years in NYC, the whole time I had Sprint for service (they didn't offer a discount to Verizon core employees at the time). Never caused me not to get a raise or bonus. What a difference a REAL company makes.
Yes, Verizon is hands down the best network in NYC, in fact the only one where I have seen people get a call on the subway platform - amazing!!!! Then was always Sprint, followed (NOT closely) by T-Mobile and AT&T
The interview was about 7-8 years ago so maybe things have changed. And of course, no sane employer tells an unsuccessful candidate why they were not hired. Everything is meant to happen for a reason. I am very happy where I am now. And I wouldn't be where I am now (in terms of my job) had I gotten the AT&T offer and accepted it.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

funny thing about the iphone is that a few years before being released on AT&T, Apple actually went to Verizon to strike a contract but it didn't work out because Verizon wanted full control over the phone's system (kind of like any phone they offered at the time) and Apple wanted to remain in charge of updates and features and all the goodies like the app store. Verizon basically wanted to turn it into crap and 'verizon' it up like the voyager (i have one)

I'm sure they regretted their decision soon after.

Quick Reply: My next phone