Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010 | 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes, a disguntled employee with confidential client information and documents can be very dangerous. The protection of our clients' confidential information that they have shared with us is a top priority. Clients need to believe that everything they share with their counsel will be kept confidential. If clients do not feel that way, we can't do our job in representing them.
The two biggest risks here Scott are the data on laptop and papers you carry around in your briefcase. Not your phone. It is the same in my profession.
Old 05-05-2010 | 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
The two biggest risks here Scott are the data on laptop and papers you carry around in your briefcase. Not your phone. It is the same in my profession.
But when you have attachments in emails that are confidential you don;t want them available to anyone who finds your phone should you lose it. I use very few actual papers in my work, most is soft copies. That is why it is all backed up every day and the use of Googledocs means there is always a backup, even if I want to revert to a previous version of a doc
Old 05-05-2010 | 08:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by pjinca
But when you have attachments in emails that are confidential you don;t want them available to anyone who finds your phone should you lose it. I use very few actual papers in my work, most is soft copies. That is why it is all backed up every day and the use of Googledocs means there is always a backup, even if I want to revert to a previous version of a doc
Having your phone set without a reasonably strong password is analogous to leaving your laptop open and powered up or your car unlocked... User stupidity is the risk, not device security. In any event, it is only the casual observer that is deterred by any of these security measures - any and all of them can be circumvented.
Old 05-05-2010 | 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Having your phone set without as password is analogous to leaving your laptop open and powered up or your car unlocked... User stupidity is the risk, not device security. In any event, it is only the casual observer that is deterred by any of these security measures - any and all of them can be circumvented.
Agreed! I now use the following strict security on my hardware:

Macbook Pro: Filevault Active (that's 128 bit encryption right there for your home folder (for non Apple users)) and then INSIDE of Filevault i have for the most sensitive data, image (DMG) encrypted files in 256 bit. User pass is also on but that can be changed very easy.

iPhone: I have passcode locking after 5 minutes of inactivity, that after 10 consecutive wrong inputs starts the secure wipe out of the phone automatically. Also the back-ups are encrypted. Moreover as a MobileMe user i can track my iPhone wherever it might be (very useful when it's misplaced) and if it's stolen i can send the remote wipe command.
Old 05-05-2010 | 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes from a corporate security standpoint, nothing beats BB. If we have an employee go rogue, our IT department can send a command to the BB to wipe it clean. We don't have that capability with iPhone or Android.
Apple does let you wipe sensitive data. It has a "remote wipe" as well as "find my iPhone" feature through Apple's MobileMe.
Old 05-05-2010 | 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Also, one look at the App Store will show you that a significant proportion of them, and yes, some really good ones, are free.
amen to that ive never paid for an app! haha my small business books are in oredr using the FREE version of ispreadsheet
every penny helps.. it works great for what i need it for
Old 05-05-2010 | 11:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skelevirus
amen to that ive never paid for an app! haha my small business books are in oredr using the FREE version of ispreadsheet
every penny helps.. it works great for what i need it for
Old 05-05-2010 | 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Hmm, this is getting interesting right Steven?
FTC & DoJ

"Apple -- you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming The Man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! ... It wasn't supposed to be this way -- Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one!"
Old 05-05-2010 | 03:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Hmm, this is getting interesting right Steven?
FTC & DoJ

"Apple -- you guys were the rebels, man, the underdogs. People believed in you. But now, are you becoming The Man? Remember back in 1984, you had those awesome ads about overthrowing Big Brother? Look in the mirror, man! ... It wasn't supposed to be this way -- Microsoft was supposed to be the evil one!"
It is indeed, my friend... Interesting article. I still think it'll head nowhere though. Take a look at this (from Robert Reich, a former Secretary of Labor) who pretty much seems to feel the same way.

http://robertreich.o...s-big-banks-are

BTW that quote at the end of the article (and in your post) came from a John Stewart rant re Apple's over-reaction to that prototype iPhone. I have to say Stewart is absolutely right, Apple went way over the top on that one. As you know, I love what they do, but as Stewart says, they can sometimes be "Appholes"...
Old 05-06-2010 | 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I went to the t-mobile store and played with one of these phones today. If it was time for an upgrade I would have gotten one. One thing I didn't understand though, if I was a new t-mobile customer I could get it for $199 but since I would be renewing my contract it would cost me about $280. The lady said if I canceled my contract when it expires I could get it for the lower price. What's up with that? Guess I have to wait until August and see what else is available then. No, I don't want an iPhone.

Quick Reply: My next phone