Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by wolf
Apple does let you wipe sensitive data. It has a "remote wipe" as well as "find my iPhone" feature through Apple's MobileMe.
Does anyone know if remote wipe is available for Android smartphones?? John is correct that there is a security risk in emails with attachments with confidential information. If an employee leaves his job with tthat kind of info on his smartphone, that can be a problem. 5 years ago, the crown jewels of client secrets were on laptops and in paper files. Now, with iPhones, Blackberries and Droids and their large internal memories, tons of confidential info is on them. Technology has marched forward.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
It is indeed, my friend... Interesting article. I still think it'll head nowhere though. Take a look at this (from Robert Reich, a former Secretary of Labor) who pretty much seems to feel the same way.

http://robertreich.o...s-big-banks-are

BTW that quote at the end of the article (and in your post) came from a John Stewart rant re Apple's over-reaction to that prototype iPhone. I have to say Stewart is absolutely right, Apple went way over the top on that one. As you know, I love what they do, but as Stewart says, they can sometimes be "Appholes"...
Very interesting article Steven and I completely agree, the financial reform bill MUST include a break up of the bloated banking system. They do nothing but produce huge profits and bonuses for them and their higher employees and execs. The reform bill has got to slice up the biggest banks into smaller ones that cannot destroy the entire economy by failing.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Does anyone know if remote wipe is available for Android smartphones?? John is correct that there is a security risk in emails with attachments with confidential information. If an employee leaves his job with tthat kind of info on his smartphone, that can be a problem. 5 years ago, the crown jewels of client secrets were on laptops and in paper files. Now, with iPhones, Blackberries and Droids and their large internal memories, tons of confidential info is on them. Technology has marched forward.
I do not believe it does... I know it is possible to buy an app that will enable you to so something similar, but server side forced remote wipes do seem to be missing. There are a lot of posts on Android forums where owners say their companies won't support Andriod devices until remote server side forced wipes are available to sys admins.

The other issue relates to something I posted the other day which is that the lion's share of early Android devices are still running the initial software and firmware. Even if the OS does have or does gain remote server side wipes, it'll require a user OS upgrade and owners of the Android devices seem less inclined to do this.

This article from January (written by a network guy from Cisco) looks at the security features in Android (on a Nexus One) and concludes that it is a great consumer phone but not really ready for enterprise prime-time. It also observes that there's no remote wipe and central enforcement of security policies in the OS.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

HTC EVO 4G...coming this summer to sprint...1GB internal storage, dual camera (8mp w/ flash and 1.3mp forward facing cam...skype on your cell phone!!!!), HD video camera (720p) with HDMI-out port, all while running android and a broadband speed 4G network that will hopefully live up to the hype. "pricing to be determined"...that scares the poop outta me though.

dunno how apple can respond to this, it looks to be pretty spectacular. i did read the stolen (or found or whatever) new iphone did have dual cameras though.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pipper
HTC EVO 4G...coming this summer to sprint...1GB internal storage, dual camera (8mp w/ flash and 1.3mp forward facing cam...skype on your cell phone!!!!), HD video camera (720p) with HDMI-out port, all while running android and a broadband speed 4G network that will hopefully live up to the hype. "pricing to be determined"...that scares the poop outta me though.

dunno how apple can respond to this, it looks to be pretty spectacular. i did read the stolen (or found or whatever) new iphone did have dual cameras though.
Apple can and will respond to this and any other phone in that segment but I'm pretty sure it will do it indirectly. By this I mean that it will probably create what they think it's the best phone in THEIR opinion not necessary the best phone in terms of specs. What others fail to see in Apple is the fact that it's a comapny that does more than make products (hardware) but a company that makes also the sofware that goes along with that hardware in the end designing what they think people will perceive as a great looking product with lots of utility and simplicity and security.

I've learned from past experiences that specs alone do not make for a great product. The same can be said about cars: a Viper may have the power and the raw acceleration but it does't have the handling and the refinement nor the quality of interior. In that aspect some may regard a 5 series of a much better car than a Dodge Viper. In the same sidenote I regard my iPhone 3G as a much better product than any overencumbered phone with12 mpx cameras and whatever other feature like hdmi output or screen resolution.

Someone asked earlier how many apps one can use from the 250+ choice from the AppStore: well I counted mine and obviously excluding the factory ones I have 73 apps out of which only 15 are games and I'm not an avid app downloader. I only got what I thought to be useful.

PS: posted this reply from my iPhone
Old 05-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Senior Members

while i agree with what you said, what you said is exactly why i have never bought an apple product for myself. to me apple sells you something and then tempts you to buy more things on top of that. you buy and iphone, then you buy some songs from itunes, then you buy some apps...etc, after a year youve sunk several hundred dollars into their phone without even realizing it. then they come out with a new version and you have to do it all over again.

an ingenious business model for sure, but not for me. i just want a phone with great reception, with a great camera, and some messaging functions. browsing the internet on a phone is irrelevant to me, im used to broadband speeds and no att service or even wifi can compare with that.
i spent an hour playing with the ipad a couple of weeks ago at best buy. while its cute and pretty slick, i have no real use for it. but God bless steve jobs for thinking up of all these things.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pipper
while i agree with what you said, what you said is exactly why i have never bought an apple product for myself. to me apple sells you something and then tempts you to buy more things on top of that. you buy and iphone, then you buy some songs from itunes, then you buy some apps...etc, after a year youve sunk several hundred dollars into their phone without even realizing it. then they come out with a new version and you have to do it all over again.
Not quite pipper, any apps you buy on your current iPhone will work just fine on the next revision. In fact the apps I bought for my iPhone can also be installed on my iPad. It will be a long while if ever before you lose backwards compatibility with earliest apps. As for your music, anything purchased from the iTunes store can be copied over to as many devices as you like. iTunes music is all DRM-free these days.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Well, it happened quicker than anyone expected - Android phones already outselling iphones and have blackberry in their sights.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
Not quite pipper, any apps you buy on your current iPhone will work just fine on the next revision. In fact the apps I bought for my iPhone can also be installed on my iPad. It will be a long while if ever before you lose backwards compatibility with earliest apps. As for your music, anything purchased from the iTunes store can be copied over to as many devices as you like. iTunes music is all DRM-free these days.

just curious, if u buy a book for ipad, and then lose the ipad, can you redownload the book again on another ipad?
im old school, i like having actual physical books, so id never get one.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Well, it happened quicker than anyone expected - Android phones already outselling iphones and have blackberry in their sights.
Oh snap! Droid FTW.

I do think that this is a direct result of not only a good operating system on the part of Android but also a result of the fact that iPhone is only available on AT and T, which has a horrible reputation for poor service/reception in some major markets including NYC. I would expect that if Apple finally makes the iPhone available on other cell networks in the US, it would jump ahead of Android in new sales. It is because of AT and T that I have never considered getting an iPhone. It is virtually impossible to hear or maintain a call with an iPhone user in NYC due to poor reception and dropped calls -- a probably that I had with AT and T in NYC in pre iPhone times.

Quick Reply: My next phone