Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

My next phone

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pjinca
And you are exactly right Mike, my point of this thread was not exactly to do Apple bashing (although with all the aforementioned "Apple zombies" you'd think so), it was merely to remind all those that bash Microsoft that they have just replaced Microsoft with another sole manufacturer. I think Open Source is the way forward and I think all the things you mentioned you love about your iPhone will be available eventually from Android and other open source smart phones. For me an Android makes the most sense, it is completely capable, has a lot of useful apps and getting more all the time, and I do not have to be a slave to a single vendor.
John - when you entitled your link "LMAO iPhone" it was absolutely intended Apple bashing. Misguided for the reasons we explained to you - the device you posted was pretty poor - but it was what it was. And in your continued promotion of an alternative, you're no less a "zombie" than me or the others who posted here who gave our money to a different manufacturer and/or operating system than you.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
John - when you entitled your link "LMAO iPhone" it was absolutely intended Apple bashing. Misguided for the reasons we explained to you - the device you posted was pretty poor - but it was what it was. And in your promotion of an alternative, you're no less a "zombie" than me or the others who posted here who gave our money to a different manufacturer and/or operating system than you.
Actually I found the video amusing, especially for a promotional video (which ten to be pretty boring). There is a huge difference between users who switched from Microsoft to Apple drones, they are like Crack heads who think they are much better since they switched to meth. If no one else can see the possibilities in Open Source then they are blinded by the glare of the meth in their hands
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Actually I found the video amusing, especially for a promotional video (which ten to be pretty boring). There is a huge difference between users who switched from Microsoft to Apple drones, they are like Crack heads who think they are much better since they switched to meth. If no one else can see the possibilities in Open Source then they are blinded by the glare of the meth in their hands
Have you ever stopped to consider how much open source technology is baked in to Apple products? Mac OS X and iPhone OS all have significant open source components. WebKit (which powers Safari and, incidentally Google's browsers, is a largely Apple-derived open source rendering engine) for example, and Mac OS X is built over FreeBSD Unix.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Have you ever stopped to consider how much open source technology is baked in to Apple products? Mac OS X and iPhone OS all have significant open source components. WebKit (which powers Safari and, incidentally Google's browsers, is a largely Apple-derived open source rendering engine) for example, and Mac OS X is built over FreeBSD Unix.
Granted, but Open Source also allows many many more FREE apps to be developed. The current regime at Apple does not allow for too many apps they make no money off of - like the article I linked said. Developers, really good ones, refuse to develop apps for the iStore because of the regulations, manipulations, and profiteering set by Apple.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by wolf
I only carry two devices because my the blackberry is a company issued device and they have very strict policy around accessing company email.... (their devices are heavily locked down)
Yes from a corporate security standpoint, nothing beats BB. If we have an employee go rogue, our IT department can send a command to the BB to wipe it clean. We don't have that capability with iPhone or Android.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Yes from a corporate security standpoint, nothing beats BB. If we have an employee go rogue, our IT department can send a command to the BB to wipe it clean. We don't have that capability with iPhone or Android.
Yep, there is that and in your line of work that ability is CRUCIAL
Old 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Yep, there is that and in your line of work that ability is CRUCIAL
Yes, a disguntled employee with confidential client information and documents can be very dangerous. The protection of our clients' confidential information that they have shared with us is a top priority. Clients need to believe that everything they share with their counsel will be kept confidential. If clients do not feel that way, we can't do our job in representing them.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:43 AM
Contributors

Not true, Scott. IT policies can be set such that IT can force a remote wipe on an iPhone which using the MS Exchange integration.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Yes, a disguntled employee with confidential client information and documents can be very dangerous. The protection of our clients' confidential information that they have shared with us is a top priority. Clients need to believe that everything they share with their counsel will be kept confidential. If clients do not feel that way, we can't do our job in representing them.

Not to mention the liability of such information getting released.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Granted, but Open Source also allows many many more FREE apps to be developed. The current regime at Apple does not allow for too many apps they make no money off of - like the article I linked said. Developers, really good ones, refuse to develop apps for the iStore because of the regulations, manipulations, and profiteering set by Apple.
Developers, really good ones, are developing for the platform... In droves. And making a lot of money from the App Store. Developers keep the majority of the revenue generated through app store sales and, I believe, all revenue from in app sales and advertisements. iAd will further enhance that revenue potential.

The point you're missing is that neither iTunes nor the App Store are significant contributors to profit. While both make money, both exist solely to create the eco-system to drive hardware sales. Apple's 10K/10Q filings provide data supporting this position.

Also, one look at the App Store will show you that a significant proportion of them, and yes, some really good ones, are free.

Quick Reply: My next phone