Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='974675' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:40 PM
Yes Brett, the small part of your analogy that you highlighted was a simile. See what I'm saying, she is not a racist.
Thats the part i was talking about when i thought people got pissed about me comparing black people to roach's but i guess it was the colored thing that go to them. I seriously didn't know that people get offended by that. Just a small town girl from middle america. I dont hate black people but when it comes to issues like this i dont really know what is PC. I went to school with 850 kids and maybe 25 were black.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='974676' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:42 PM
Phil,
I admit that I am not familiar with all the faces on your post but do you genuinely think that Jesse and Al are altruistic pioneers for the black community? I think we all know them to be opportunistic and self absorbed. They played no role in the election of our president and may have have hindered the process if they attempted to play a larger role. I would be interested to know why you think they are important or relevant.
I can agree with you there Roger, I have no agreement with either the sayings or actions of either Jesse or Al - more Al he seems like a slimeball and would be regardless of his color. A more apt example (and I have to go back and see if Phil listed him) would be Colon Powell - yes, I know he's a Republican, but I can respect most any self made man of any color.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='974676' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:42 PM
Phil,
I admit that I am not familiar with all the faces on your post but do you genuinely think that Jesse and Al are altruistic pioneers for the black community? I think we all know them to be opportunistic and self absorbed. They played no role in the election of our president and may have have hindered the process if they attempted to play a larger role. I would be interested to know why you think they are important or relevant.
I agree completely. I dont know who everyone of those people are but the second you posted those two assholes that list become a joke.

Rosa Parks is a nice lady though.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='974666' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:30 PM
Actually you are very incorrect here, racism is born of ignorance and intolerance.
Actually you are wrong. While racism may be born of ignorance and intolerance, ignorance does not equal racist nor does it equal intolerant.

You can be ignorant without being racist. There are plenty of uneducated people who aren't racist or intolerant.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='974680' date='Aug 12 2009, 11:45 PM
I can agree with you there Roger, I have no agreement with either the sayings or actions of either Jesse or Al - more Al he seems like a slimeball and would be regardless of his color. A more apt example (and I have to go back and see if Phil listed him) would be Colon Powell - yes, I know he's a Republican, but I can respect most any self made man of any color.
Colon Powell voted for and supported Obama. Ironic? He has been a republican/serving in the republican party for how long? Ironic.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='974683' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:46 PM
Actually you are wrong. While racism may be born of ignorance and intolerance, ignorance does not equal racist nor does it equal intolerant.

You can be ignorant without being racist. There are plenty of stupid people who aren't racist or intolerant.

Agreed - "common sense is a misnomer, because it is far from common"
However, ignorance does not excuse the comments made, instead it highlights the true level of racism in a person. I am assuming your dad is over 60? Brett is not, so there is no societal or historical context for her use of those terms.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='974679' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:44 PM
Thats the part i was talking about when i thought people got pissed about me comparing black people to roach's but i guess it was the colored thing that go to them. I seriously didn't know that people get offended by that. Just a small town girl from middle america. I dont hate black people but when it comes to issues like this i dont really know what is PC. I went to school with 850 kids and maybe 25 were black.
Just so we're clear, AWG, it wasn't actually the use of the word "colored" that in itself led to me posting in the thread... It was, as you suspected, the other parts of the post.

Either way, it's time to move on. I think we all accept that you did not mean the posts to come across as they did. It is a sensitive subject, and you hit a few nerves.

And I saw your edit, by the way

And, for the record, I am actually far more important than rogerj's left nut...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='974662' date='Aug 13 2009, 12:24 AM
In all seriousness though. I understand the arguements on both sides. Once you want to introduce pundits like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh... I am out of the debate because it has become ridiculous. For those of you that associate yourself with one or more of the following... you have marginalized your significance to me. Peace Out!
Roger the point of the pic in my post was illustrate the fact the 6 previous black candidates for president received almost no support from black voters.....so, could the choice to support this black candidate have been a tad more complex.?
BTW I often find Jessie & Al irritating.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='974692' date='Aug 12 2009, 09:54 PM
And for the record, I am actually far more important that rogerj's left nut.
^^ Too funny!!!! Thanks Steve, you just took all the anger and animosity out of the thread with one line!!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Now back on topic...Brett, why do you hate black people?

Seriously though, why are any of you in favor of nationalized health care? Tell me one thing the Gov't does better than the private sector. Tell me one gov't social program that hasn't been bankrupted or ruined by our Gov't...Medicare, Medicaid, SocialSecurity, PublicSchools you name it.

I'll name one gov't health care option that isn't bankrupted, the health care for congress. You know why? It is privatized!! Surprise!!

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!