Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

This health care reform debate is crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='978875' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:36 AM
I am really surprised at how many uneducated members we have on this forum. It's pretty embarrassing.

Hey, you think you are smarter than a 5th grader.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by juris335' post='978594' date='Aug 16 2009, 07:48 PM
+1 Well stated, Gary, and you did it without calling anyone names! I served on a public school board for 10 years but we had none of the abuses/benefits you mentioned. (Also, my wife is a counselor in an inner-city public school.) One thing we did have is we ranked in the top 1% Nationwide for 17 consecutive years for student achievement, go on to college rate, dropout rate, etc.
Thank you. I feel if valid points are made there is no reason to resort to name calling, everyone has differing views and has had different life experiences that shape ones outlook on nearly every topic. One of my criteria for a well-rounded individual is the way a person can debate with another that has a differing view point. I have also learned alot from someone else's different point of view on issues (some of the best on here are Swajames and Calvin; Dranged (John), Craig and I agree on most things so we usually don't verbally spar).

Kudo's for your previous public service and your wife's continuing work. I bet she has a full plate. We have a friend that teaches in the inner-city and she has heartbreaking stories.

Also, congratulations on your district's rankings; I would always vote in support of our levies if we had rankings and achievements such as yours.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='978546' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:18 PM
Still, as a test, let's all tell our gramps that the government will privatize Medicare and let's see how many of us come out alive.....
I was at a urologist's office today and we were discussing medication costs. BCG is a medicine instilled into the bladder to treat bladder cancer. The urologist pays $112 for it. The medicare allowable here is $117. Medicare only pays 80-90% of the $117 and the patient or patient's secondary insurance is billable for the other 10-20%. Looks pretty profitable to me.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by mjfloyd1' post='979635' date='Aug 17 2009, 03:37 PM
I was at a urologist's office today and we were discussing medication costs. BCG is a medicine instilled into the bladder to treat bladder cancer. The urologist pays $112 for it. The medicare allowable here is $117. Medicare only pays 80-90% of the $117 and the patient or patient's secondary insurance is billable for the other 10-20%. Looks pretty profitable to me.
Exactly why we are ranked number 37 in the world for health care. The real question is, what do we need to do to jump from number 37 in the world to number 1? Everybody is a critic, but nobody is addressing this question. Are you all REALLY happy with a ranking of number 37? And, please don't give me the example of choices, etc. There are not many choices with private insurance. There's so much that they won't cover either and I have had to haggle with them over lab fees and out of band doctors, etc., and many of them have a lifetime limit on how much they will pay (depending on the employer's plan).

Folks, let's come up with ideas on how to jump from #37 to #1...........
Old 08-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport, ti silver/gray, CWP, Logic 7, PDC, Nav, elec shade, lumbar, FDRS 2000 Honda CBR 929 1999 Lexus GS400, Nakamichi

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='974404' date='Aug 12 2009, 08:48 PM
Its very different. If Barrack Obama was white, how many of these first time voting color persons would of come out to vote for another battle between to "crackers" running for president? Hmmm what demographic typically has the worst turn out in elections? Hmmm those colored brotha's are the ones who typically dont come out and vote.....but when a black man was running they crawled out from the wood work like a bunch of roach's during a feeding frenzy. Correct me if im wrong.
Since you ask, I'll correct you. They did not come out like a bunch of roaches. They came out like human beings with dignity and pride, sometimes waiting patiently for hours to cast their ballots.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='979667' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:52 PM
Exactly why we are ranked number 37 in the world for health care. The real question is, what do we need to do to jump from number 37 in the world to number 1? Everybody is a critic, but nobody is addressing this question. Are you all REALLY happy with a ranking of number 37? And, please don't give me the example of choices, etc. There are not many choices with private insurance. There's so much that they won't cover either and I have had to haggle with them over lab fees and out of band doctors, etc., and many of them have a lifetime limit on how much they will pay (depending on the employer's plan).

Folks, let's come up with ideas on how to jump from #37 to #1...........
The minute a reasonable safety net is available to all, providing good quality preventative-focused care, irrespective of your ability to pay, the US will shoot up the rankings. There's no doubt or dispute about the quality of care available here - it's awesome.

The WHO rating focused on a number of factors to arrive at their ranking. At the heart of the issue, and it is one of the main reasons that the US scores poorly in their rankings, is the lack of general access to the care that people need. To the extent a public option can be made available, leaving those who demand more with the ability to maintain their preferred arrangement, the US will place much higher in the tables. It's the lack of access and (to some degree) a lack of focus on the preventative side of medicine is what's creating and perpetuating the issue. For those of us in work and with good insurance, the care we get is very good, and it is very far removed from the number #37 player that the tables would otherwise indicate. For those without coverage, however, that #37 rating is probably justified.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Having been traveling, I have missed most of this thread. I?ll have to go back and read every post. It's looking like I will have plenty of time.

My concern is not with Government Health Care per se, but with Government Any Kind Care. Their track record of having programs work as planned or work well or work at all is dominated by dismal failure.

What have they ever done well?

>Amtrak? (No pun)?..NO. >Roosevelt Great Depression Stimulus?..NO? >Johnson?s Great Society?..NO. >Fanny and Freddie?..NO. >Post Office?..NO. >Bush border control?..NO. >War on Drugs?..NO. >Medicare?..NO.> Clunkers?..NO.> Social Security?..NO >Not to mention Carter's rescue debacle.
>Any?

And typically when a program falters the Government solution is to do more of it.

That gets kind of tiring for those of us who foot the bill.

sixcard
Old 08-18-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='980178' date='Aug 17 2009, 11:36 PM
Having been traveling, I have missed most of this thread. I?ll have to go back and read every post. It's looking like I will have plenty of time.

My concern is not with Government Health Care per se, but with Government Any Kind Care. Their track record of having programs work as planned or work well or work at all is dominated by dismal failure.

What have they ever done well?

>Amtrak? (No pun)?..NO. >Roosevelt Great Depression Stimulus?..NO? >Johnson?s Great Society?..NO. >Fanny and Freddie?..NO. >Post Office?..NO. >Bush border control?..NO. >War on Drugs?..NO. >Medicare?..NO.> Clunkers?..NO.> Social Security?..NO >Not to mention Carter's rescue debacle.
>Any?

And typically when a program falters the Government solution is to do more of it.

That gets kind of tiring for those of us who foot the bill.

sixcard
Amtrak was screwed from the start since they have to lease the track from the corporate railroads who make buttloads more money hauling freight. I can't argue much with anything else - they are valid points.

However, government deregulation hasn't done much better. Just look at how much we are paying to keep the financial industry afloat - and there's no certain end in sight.

Which bill would you rather pay?
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='980699' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:43 AM
Which bill would you rather pay?

None of them
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by garylewa' post='980772' date='Aug 18 2009, 12:29 PM
None of them
Unfortunately, that is not an option.

Quick Reply: This health care reform debate is crazy!