Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula 1, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by CWS530' post='939529' date='Jul 11 2009, 07:34 PM
Actually, no. This article was an update to the previous links provided and contained further damning quotes. I suggest you read your own posts prior to referring to someone else's as redundant.

Cheers.
Not to start a war here, but what further damning quotes are you refering to, not already mentioned in the two articles I posted. I am getting a headache reading your posted article and the two I did. Cant see whats so new or different

thanks

ps: if you prefer not to take this off topic, then PM. I don't have a prob. I am curious now. Cheers
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by swajames' post='939569' date='Jul 11 2009, 09:15 PM
As I said in my post, it's what drivers think that counts. The successful ones all think they are the best in the business. As do successful individuals in any walk of life.

Now to what drivers say. With respect to Weber's claim, if you think he means it, that's up to you. F1 drivers are media trained and most are reasonably media savvy and know how to say the right things - which is why F1 post race interviews are so bland and generic. Some of us, of course, seem to do a better job than others at reading between the lines...
Or maybe he was trying to play mind games with his younger (and better in my opinion) team-mate. There is Vettel trying his best to go out and race to win the championship and Webber is just throwing a wet towel over everything.

Also what they may think of themselves is fine... but to come out and say it in public... well that in my book shows crass. Lets put it in perspective. If Senna said he was the best in the interview, I would give it to him. Fine I say.

When Jenson says it, I look back at this career, realise he took ages to chalk up his FIRST win, then years of "hanging" about and when he finally wins again in the bestest car. Hmm... sorry but claiming to be greatest driver out there seems arrogant.

Lets see what the greatest does for the championship. Its only his to lose and one thing I know about F1, only after the flag drops.... !!

cheers
Old 07-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='939572' date='Jul 11 2009, 03:20 PM
Not to start a war here, but what further damning quotes are you refering to, not already mentioned in the two articles I posted. I am getting a headache reading your posted article and the two I did. Cant see whats so new or different

thanks

ps: if you prefer not to take this off topic, then PM. I don't have a prob. I am curious now. Cheers
How about this:

"I did not put Hitler forward as a positive example, but simply noted that, before his appalling crimes, he acted successfully against unemployment and the economic crisis," Ecclestone was quoted as saying....

It's a forum and posts and topics build over time. If your only response to a post is that it's "already been discussed," then we should end the thread. I'm sure if you go back 36 pages you can find a reference to something currently is being discussed. Spoonface alone proves that.

Thanks.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='939576' date='Jul 11 2009, 01:32 PM
Or maybe he was trying to play mind games with his younger (and better in my opinion) team-mate. There is Vettel trying his best to go out and race to win the championship and Webber is just throwing a wet towel over everything.

Also what they may think of themselves is fine... but to come out and say it in public... well that in my book shows crass. Lets put it in perspective. If Senna said he was the best in the interview, I would give it to him. Fine I say.

When Jenson says it, I look back at this career, realise he took ages to chalk up his FIRST win, then years of "hanging" about and when he finally wins again in the bestest car. Hmm... sorry but claiming to be greatest driver out there seems arrogant.

Lets see what the greatest does for the championship. Its only his to lose and one thing I know about F1, only after the flag drops.... !!

cheers
I really don't think you understand what drives success or successful people. And put in the context of F1, whether you are indeed the greatest driver or have the good fortune to have a seat in the best car will not in itself guarantee results. Schumacher would not have won a thing in last year's Honda. Conversely, a mid-pack to back-marker driver would not guarantee results if they were in last year's MP4-23 or F2008. The point you're quite spectacularly failing to grasp is that driver self-confidence and ostensibly misplaced arrogance is neither necessarily a product of nor directly proportional to tangible success. More to the point, it never can be - if my hypothesis is right (and indeed it is), they are all essentially pretenders to the same throne as there never can be and never will be a single driver that all of us universally agree is the "greatest"... And from that perspective, whether you or I agree with each driver's own assessment of their talents is entirely moot. All that matters is that they themselves believe it.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='939505' date='Jul 11 2009, 10:47 AM
Every F1 driver should be saying exactly the same thing. If you don't feel that way, you have absolutely no business being in a driver's seat in F1. F1 is absolutely no place for those with a shred of humility, modesty or any doubts whatsoever about their ability. There are no truly humble drivers at the pinnacle of any motorsport series, and there never will be. History will of course be the ultimate judge of the relative merits of each driver - but that quote could have and should have come from any F1 driver, past or present.
I would have to say Vettel seems to be a very humble and genuine F1 driver. But he is young, he has time to grow his ego and become arrogant.

The kid always has a huge smile on his face, you can tell it isn't fake either.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Congrats
Spoiler

!! great drive.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Good race today and it wasn't just about Braun and Red Bull fighting it out

As a Brit, it would have been nice to see how Hamilton and the "new" McLaren did in the race and not just the start straight I think they need to have a look at the KERS system, it would appear to not just feed into the engine, but also the drivers helmet! Ah well, maybe next race.

Webber's reaction after the race over the team radio said it all. Nothing trained or arrogant about that, just pure adrenalin and joy. Good on him.

As for Vettel, he's a great genuine guy, but I think that will unforetunately change over time. I still follow F1 on German TV and its 50% F1 and 50% the Vettel Show. The media attention / pressures will grow, and his answers and openess will no doubt descrease as a consequence. That said, I hope I am wrong and he can stay the way he is

As for the arguement about who's the greatest driver, well that's obvious, its me of course
Joking apart, I agree with the others who talk about the confidence of the driver being crucial. The way these cars are designed and in turn the way they need to be driven is about the absolute maximum by taking things to the absolute limit. Without the confidence to do that, you can't hit that limit and in turn get to the maximum. That's what (should) still make F1 the ultimate in motor racing.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='940014' date='Jul 12 2009, 05:29 PM
Good race today and it wasn't just about Braun and Red Bull fighting it out
As a Brit, it would...
Congrats to Mark, a great win, even if they (FIA) tried, for a very weird reason, to sack you.

Congrats also to Vettel, of course, Red Bull and Adrian Newey but also to Massa - a great drive,
Nico did a great race also.

If Sutil would have been a bit more smart, Force India would have got their first points.

About Kimi I have no comment, the car sucked, but Heikki did the whole race.
With a 0.8 slower car than the front grid but luckily with the KERS.

What happened to Lewis rear tire?
Lewis did have a very fast car.

Alonso did the fastest lap in the race!

PS. Ecclestone did buy copyrights to: GP1,
GP1 Series, Formula Grand Prix and Formula GP-brands.

Attached Thumbnails Formula 1, 2009-formula_1_gp_nurnburgring_webber_2.jpg  
Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Well done Mark. He bumped Rubens, paid the penalty, and still won.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='940187' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:55 PM
If Sutil would have been a bit more smart, Force India would have got their first points.
Good point, forgot to mention that. It was a 50/50 incident with Kimi, but when you're that close to getting your first points, why take the risk. Live and learn hey

Quick Reply: Formula 1, 2009