Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

GROUP BUY: DENSION Gateway 500 (GW51MO2)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagbagri' post='829476' date='Mar 28 2009, 08:00 PM
Sorry mate, I did not get any time to go on the forum today so no pictures, I thought we already had enough DIYs and pics for this install.

Just finished installing it. Works GREAT!!! had a little trouble with the power connector to split correctly to get power for CDC and GW both from the original CDC power source. Re-read BRUCE's instructions VOILA... finished. I'm glad I got the parts mentioned above before hand as those made the install completely plug and play. Once again thanks to Bruce_Miranda and Murttley. Everything worked out great.

Next stop Dension AVR after few reviews of-course... so it could be a while.

Excellent. I have a 2007 M5 with MP3 capabilities in the head unit in the dash and a aux jack in the rear console, but NO CD Changer in the glove box. I think I have the latest software upgrade as the dealer upgraded it during my last service a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if I need any additional updates from the dealer to use the Dension 500? Would appreciate any guidance...

Jagbagri, btw where are you in the East Bay? I'm in San Ramon.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ed94582' post='829625' date='Mar 29 2009, 04:42 AM
Excellent. I have a 2007 M5 with MP3 capabilities in the head unit in the dash and a aux jack in the rear console, but NO CD Changer in the glove box. I think I have the latest software upgrade as the dealer upgraded it during my last service a few weeks ago. Does anyone know if I need any additional updates from the dealer to use the Dension 500? Would appreciate any guidance...

Jagbagri, btw where are you in the East Bay? I'm in San Ramon.
I think you will need to have either the CDC or pre-wired for CDC to be able to install GW500.

I'm in Livermore (work Dublin) so if you want to see it in person, you can stop by some time during the week days in Dublin. You can PM me for that.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 55 525D Sport Full Black Leather Visibility Pack Media Pack

finally got this installed today, i dont have mp3 enabled but still got it working as in it just shows track 0-99 all controlled from idrive, will take a trip to dealer next week and get mp3 enabled so i can actually see the track names / play lists

decided to leave cdc disconnected as who needs that when u got usb/ipod lol
Old 04-04-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

I picked up my unit from Joe yesterday! I'm very hesitant to try the install because im still unclear about the connections. The instrutions make it appear PnP but the DIYs show there's more to it. Will the method offered by Bruce work for my year and model car? I'll admit that I am the most incompetent person when it comes to this stuff.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

the power is dead easy so u cant go wrong there

and the other lines is fiber optic so u cant blow it up even if u totally fuk it up LOL

in the end i literary have the 2 fiber optic leads from the car just goin straight into the dension 500 no weird setup

and if i want the cdc i just connect this to the other port on the dension

dead easy

cant go wrong !!!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Contributors

Location: SoCal- SFV (Land of pimps, drug dealers, money, hot cars and hot wimmenz...this ain't no movie bitch, mess with us and we'll cut ya!)

Originally Posted by russdx' post='836161' date='Apr 4 2009, 09:15 AM
the power is dead easy so u cant go wrong there

and the other lines is fiber optic so u cant blow it up even if u totally fuk it up LOL

in the end i literary have the 2 fiber optic leads from the car just goin straight into the dension 500 no weird setup

and if i want the cdc i just connect this to the other port on the dension

dead easy

cant go wrong !!!
Thanks Russ! How'd you guys tap into the power and ground? Meaning did you just use one of those crip-style butt connectors?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

i read some were on the forum that taking power from the cdc was ok

so yeah i just crimped onto that brown neg- and red pos+

this way if i want to remove the dension i can just uncrimp
Old 04-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by russdx' post='836250' date='Apr 4 2009, 11:05 AM
i read some were on the forum that taking power from the cdc was ok

so yeah i just crimped onto that brown neg- and red pos+

this way if i want to remove the dension i can just uncrimp
Thanks Russ! Just one more question...re: the optical out from the Dension to the CDC.

The picture below shows the plug that comes out of the CDC. Now, you unravel the tape and pull out the "car" optical cable from the plug. You connect one side of the Dension supplied optical cable to the "car" optical cable you pulled out of the plug and then connect the other side to the "car" optical connection on the Dension, right?

Once that's done, you connect one side of the second Dension supplied optical cable to the "CDC" optical connection on the Dension unit and then, does the other side of the Dension supplied optical cable plug directly into the CDC or back into plug from which you pulled the "car" optical that connects to the back of the CDC?

Does this make sense?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 04-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

all i did (dint need to unwrap cable, i was at this exact stage your showing with this image) i plugged the bmw connector shown in that image into one of the dension connect heads (comes with the kit) and literary plugged that into the left port on the dension, so the car is going directly into the dension

your now left with the second right hand port on the dension, using one of the extender fiber optic cables that comes with the kit you can plug the cdc into this (by plugging this cable into the orignal bmw cdc connect head)

but u dont have to, i dont need the cdc now so iv left it as car plugged into dension no cdc
but u can have the cdc if needed (tested this as well works great)

the bmw optic connections seam to be the same as dension so you really can do all sorts of set ups and plug shit into shit lol
Old 04-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

i need to tidy it up tomorrow so ill take it all apart put it back to oem and take a picture of each step showing what parts you need and stuff

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY: DENSION Gateway 500 (GW51MO2)