Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stream' post='219574
Originally Posted by stream' post='219148' date='Jan 4 2006, 10:54 AM
[quote name='HHP' post='218822' date='Jan 3 2006, 04:10 PM']
do you know the part number for the aux install you have?
The install instructions below has the part number:
Attachment 13869
THANKS, BUT is this the part that JMAN refers to in his/her post?
Pls advise

from JMAN post.....
First, not only was the Aux In jack installed the glove box, but a white cable came with it. It is a Y cable (of sorts). It has the iPod dock plug at one end (the plug that goes into the bottom of the iPod), and then one cable that goes to a 3.5mm stereo plug, and another cable that goes to a cigaratte lighter plug for power.
[/quote]

No white Y cable. It doesn't come with the aux input--I'll bet his dealer provided it separately (or was using it to test the install, and forgot it there!).
[/quote]

Ok, here's the story. Apparently this is a BMW Australia only thing. The white cable is available for purchase as a separate part but they also include it with any Aux-In install. The part number for the white cable is "88 88 1 800 500 iPod Aux Cable"

I've attached a photo of the cable to this post.
Attached Thumbnails How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player-ipodauxcable.jpg  
Old 01-12-2006, 09:09 AM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Thanks for the information!. I am calling my dealer to see if it can be ordered (I will guess to day it is not a US option.)
Thanks again and enjoy the car!
Old 01-12-2006, 10:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by HHP' post='223368' date='Jan 13 2006, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the information!. I am calling my dealer to see if it can be ordered (I will guess to day it is not a US option.)
Thanks again and enjoy the car!
Good luck! I'll PM you the e-mail address of the BMW parts person in Melbourne who gave me the part number.

And thanks for the nice words about the new car! I'm still getting used to it (the drive is very different to my E39) but the fit and finish and all the other little incremental enhancements are really, really nice (like the cruise control, the auto rain wipers, the triple turn inndicators, etc.). Those things are all done much nicer than they were on my E39.

I have the 530 sport. In Australia there's two models, a sport and an executive. I'm not sure if that's the same elsewhere. I got most of the options but not the comfort access - I didn't know about it when I ordered. Now that I have the start button car I think it would be really nice to have the keyless operations and entry. Also, when I ordered I was told I would get voice recognition (as it came with the other options I wanted) but I thought that would be a bit of a wank (as it's never worked well on computers for me). Now that I have the car and have experienced the iDrive "death by menus" , I think voice reco is great and it is the perfect combination with iDrive. Hmm, what else do I like... the bluetooth phone integration, logic 7, the new NAV is awesome too. The perspective view is great and you can now scale the view in real time. Anyway, enough... this is all stuff that's probably been said many times before here.

I see you have the 550 SMG. Man, that must be FUN...

J
Old 01-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I have the Kensington FM Transmitter/Charger for my iPod and it works great in my E60. I was skeptical at first but then I plugged it in and there is absolutly no static and the sound is just like listening to the radio. It costs about $80 but I think its worth it for me. Its great having 7,000 soungs at my finger tips. Like I'm listening to my own personal radio station and it charges the iPod while I drive.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Members

Good news for anyone ordering a new E60/E61: According to my dealer, BMW UK announced today that E60/E61 from build week 9 will have the aux input fitted as standard equipment. I'm not sure where it'll be installed or whether other countries might get it too. I postponed delivery of my E61 from 1 March to 1 April!

PS It gets installed in the back of the centre console. I've added a picture. Don't know for sure that the 12v sockets come with it, will try and find out.How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player-e60_e61_aux_in.jpg
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by jkiffer' post='79152' date='Jan 14 2005, 07:31 PM
What year is your E60? I ordered the Auxilary Audio input from my dealer and took the car in today to have it installed -- which turned out to be a waste of time when the dealer "determined" that the Auxilary Audio input is not compatible with the 2005 5 series.

Did the dealer screw up and possibly order the wrong part and not realize there's a compatible Aux input part for the 2005? Or am I just out of luck and stuck with the FM modulator solution?
go back and find a intelliget dealer that reads his bullitins
get auxillery fitted and when he programs that in tell him to program the mp3 player for you..it works
Old 01-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by radioham' post='226173
What year is your E60? I ordered the Auxilary Audio input from my dealer and took the car in today to have it installed -- which turned out to be a waste of time when the dealer "determined" that the Auxilary Audio input is not compatible with the 2005 5 series.

Did the dealer screw up and possibly order the wrong part and not realize there's a compatible Aux input part for the 2005? Or am I just out of luck and stuck with the FM modulator solution?
go back and find a intelliget dealer that reads his bullitins
get auxillery fitted and when he programs that in tell him to program the mp3 player for you..it works
[/quote]
THE ONLY NEED FOR AUX INPUT NOW....is if you cannot burn cd as the car should be able to play mp3 files
or you wish to input a device audio it is a lot of work to install and expensive job if you have to pay...
PM ME if you require detail
Old 01-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='226137' date='Jan 18 2006, 03:13 PM
Good news for anyone ordering a new E60/E61: According to my dealer, BMW UK announced today that E60/E61 from build week 9 will have the aux input fitted as standard equipment. I'm not sure where it'll be installed or whether other countries might get it too. I postponed delivery of my E61 from 1 March to 1 April!

PS It gets installed in the back of the centre console. I've added a picture. Don't know for sure that the 12v sockets come with it, will try and find out.Attachment 14460
What a stupid place for the aux input. Why didn't they put it inside the center console like on the E90?
Old 03-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

For those who have the aux input installed and wish to have better bass quality - please go to this post:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23293
Old 03-18-2006, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

im a little confused....
some members have said it is not possible to have aux audio input if you have a cd changer....
i have pro radio, busi navi, and a cd changer...so is it possible for me to have aux in...added

Quick Reply: How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player