Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Were can you get the stereo mini jack (typically male on both ends), for the ipod to plug into the aux input?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by katheikia' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:51 PM
Were can you get the stereo mini jack (typically male on both ends), for the ipod to plug into the aux input?
[snapback]186199[/snapback]
Radio Shack, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc
Old 10-19-2005, 12:05 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I thought I'd add my iPod hardwire install to this thread:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 12-20-2005, 02:40 AM
Members

Hi all

I have just had the aux input fitted and do not seem to be able to get my ipod 60gig to play

do I use the headphone socket to aux or do I have to buy a base plug to 3.5 lead?

please help

Five is Alive
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Members

I just got my new E60 today. It is one of the new production run models (start button, etc.). I also ordered the Aux In to plug my iPod into. I previously had the Aux In added to my E39 but that did not work well at all. There was a mismatch in level between the iPod output and the E39 input, and even using a pre-amp couldn't get things right. The sound quality was poor and the volume was never right.

So, I was rolling the dice again with the E60 and Aux In but here is what happened.

First, not only was the Aux In jack installed the glove box, but a white cable came with it. It is a Y cable (of sorts). It has the iPod dock plug at one end (the plug that goes into the bottom of the iPod), and then one cable that goes to a 3.5mm stereo plug, and another cable that goes to a cigaratte lighter plug for power.

And JOY OF JOYS, the sound is awesome. The levels and tone are perefect (same level as FM radio for example).

Just thought I would share this info.

I don't know if it matters but my car has the professional NAV, TV, Logic 7, bluetooth, CD stacker and bunch of other options.

Oh, and the CD stacker does work alongside the Aux In (and the CD can play MP3 files on CDs too).

Originally Posted by JC3' post='168162' date='Sep 8 2005, 03:30 PM
My BMW '05 530i came with a 6 stacker CD player.

When I asked about whether I could get the iPod auxiliary cable installed, they said that's fine, but I'll lose my 6 stacker! :thumbsdown:

This isn't exactly a well publicised fact and I'm glad the BMW service rep told me that before he went and did the install!

Anyone else run into this issue?
No. That's not the case for me. See my post above this one. I have both installed.

Your dealer (I think) is confusing the BMW iPod adapter which makes the iPod appear as a CD sctacker and lets you control the iPod through the steering wheel buttons. It does by using 6 playlists as CD1, CD2 and so on.

The Aux In is just that - all you get is a 3.5mm stereo plug in the glove box that you can plug ANYTHING into - including an iPod but you get no control of whatever you plug into Aux In through the steering wheel or iDrive.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:10 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Originally Posted by jman' post='217194' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:47 AM
I just got my new E60 today. It is one of the new production run models (start button, etc.). I also ordered the Aux In to plug my iPod into. I previously had the Aux In added to my E39 but that did not work well at all. There was a mismatch in level between the iPod output and the E39 input, and even using a pre-amp couldn't get things right. The sound quality was poor and the volume was never right.

So, I was rolling the dice again with the E60 and Aux In but here is what happened.

First, not only was the Aux In jack installed the glove box, but a white cable came with it. It is a Y cable (of sorts). It has the iPod dock plug at one end (the plug that goes into the bottom of the iPod), and then one cable that goes to a 3.5mm stereo plug, and another cable that goes to a cigaratte lighter plug for power.

And JOY OF JOYS, the sound is awesome. The levels and tone are perefect (same level as FM radio for example).

do you know the part number for the aux install you have?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by HHP' post='218822' date='Jan 3 2006, 04:10 PM
The install instructions below has the part number:
5_series_aux_input.pdf
Old 01-04-2006, 06:50 PM
HHP
Members

My Ride: 06 550 SMG |Comfort seats | sport, premium sound and cold weather packages | active steer | Navigation |comfort access | rear seat heat | rear seat fold down| sirius|

Originally Posted by stream' post='219148
Attachment 13869
[/quote]

THANKS, BUT is this the part that JMAN refers to in his/her post?
Pls advise

from JMAN post.....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HHP' post='219348
Originally Posted by HHP' post='218822' date='Jan 3 2006, 04:10 PM
Attachment 13869
Pls advise

from JMAN post.....
[/quote]

No white Y cable. It doesn't come with the aux input--I'll bet his dealer provided it separately (or was using it to test the install, and forgot it there!).
Old 01-11-2006, 08:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='219574
Originally Posted by stream' post='219148' date='Jan 4 2006, 10:54 AM
[quote name='HHP' post='218822' date='Jan 3 2006, 04:10 PM']
Attachment 13869
Pls advise

from JMAN post.....
[/quote]

No white Y cable. It doesn't come with the aux input--I'll bet his dealer provided it separately (or was using it to test the install, and forgot it there!).
[/quote]

I'm about to go visit the dealer so I'll find out the part number and where the white cable came from. I ordered the Aux-In as part of my order for the new car.

Quick Reply: How do I listen to my iPod, or other MP3 player