F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I do believe there is a difference between a car enthusiast and a BMW enthusiast, both seem to be represented here...
Old 08-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
I do believe there is a difference between a car enthusiast and a BMW enthusiast, both seem to be represented here...
Yep, my BMW experience was limited to a 2002, 335i and 535i (E60) before the F10.

Some time ago I owned a Lotus Europa twin-cam, and then an Esprit turbo, so while I have a frame of reference between luxury handling and real sport handling, it may be even harsher than the died in the wool BMW enthusiast, depending on how you're looking at the F10's.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by m630
And this is the difference between you and most members on the board and why bmw is absolutely in trouble, most of us here don't think our cars are "just a car" or that we could not care less about what happens to bmw or if they never sell another F10, and just passing time in a lease and waiting for it to run out and start looking for "something" in the next car ...we care about the direction the company takes, we care about the products it puts out and can be objective enough to criticize the poor decisions they make, we don't want them to lose the edge that has made non- enthusiasts like yourself want to buy one to gain some of the mystique that we've actually lived with their products. This car does not reflect the world we live in, it reflects a lost decade of ever expanding dimensions and is behind the curve of the real times we live in, time will tell who is right, but if not for the rise of China for bmw, the F10 would be a complete failure when sales are compared to the e60s and time will prove this true.

I think you're over-reacting a bit here. The F10 has been out for only a couple months. Don't you think it's a little premature with all these doom-and-gloom predictions? Just because you and some of the other guys here think negatively of the F10 doesn't predict anything.....like I said many times before, this board represents a TINY fraction of all BMW enthusiasts out there, let alone the total of all BMW owners. So far, I've received nothing but rave reviews and compliments on my car from other BMW and non-BMW drivers. They love the new design and the extra amenities. The non-BMW drivers in particular have told me that they now will seriously consider going back to BMW now that the "dreaded Bangle influence" has died away. Like I mentioned before, the F10 is no accident. It's not like BMW took some guys and locked them away in a cave for a few years to come up with the F10. Whether you like it or not, the new BMW's are a reflection of what the company believes its demographic (the Majority of its demographic) want in their cars today......more luxury, more room, more options. But it's not just BMW, pretty much every automaker nowdays have a similar philosophy....even niche companies like Porsche.

Now, I don't want to get into a "religious" argument here with you enthusiasts. But at the end of the day, yes, the F10 is "just" a car....a BMW is "just" a car. (No offense, but if you don't think so, then you need to get your priorities in order). It doesn't cook me dinner or pay my bills. It's just a well-engineered, well-designed machine which I get to enjoy very much a few hours every day. After my lease is up in a few years, I move on to another machine to enjoy. Life is short. There are too many choices to enjoy.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Members

And this is the difference between you and most members on the board and why bmw is absolutely in trouble, most of us here don't think our cars are "just a car" or that we could not care less about what happens to bmw or if they never sell another F10, and just passing time in a lease and waiting for it to run out and start looking for "something" in the next car ...we care about the direction the company takes, we care about the products it puts out and can be objective enough to criticize the poor decisions they make, we don't want them to lose the edge that has made non- enthusiasts like yourself want to buy one to gain some of the mystique that we've actually lived with their products. This car does not reflect the world we live in, it reflects a lost decade of ever expanding dimensions and is behind the curve of the real times we live in, time will tell who is right, but if not for the rise of China for bmw, the F10 would be a complete failure when sales are compared to the e60s and time will prove this true.
BMW is not in trouble--to say the least. The F10 is selling is such huge numbers that they had to increase production shifts. You can no longer get even a Sep production slot. BMW also raised their earnings forcast for the year mostly based on the 5 series.

There were a lot of whiners with the e60 came out in the face of the revered e39 but now the same is happening--why is that surprising?
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Members

I don't think the OP is saying that the F10 is ugly, just bland compared to the E60. Must say I agree, as the E60 has always been my favorite Bangle design, for the reasons stated by the OP. Said as much in my review of the F10.

But maybe BMWs are supposed to be bland, or at least subtle? Before Bangle their styling was always subtle, and very similar from model to model. They're just going back to that.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I don't think the OP is saying that the F10 is ugly, just bland compared to the E60. Must say I agree, as the E60 has always been my favorite Bangle design, for the reasons stated by the OP. Said as much in my review of the F10.

But maybe BMWs are supposed to be bland, or at least subtle? Before Bangle their styling was always subtle, and very similar from model to model. They're just going back to that.
Will soon post a picture comparison E60 vs. F10, then anyone can see the outside changes.

I think the F10 has a close to perfect classic BMW look but is still a very modern car.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Lets just say the F10 is making me patient. The only model I'd consider is the 550 and I would like to see how the TTV8's track record looks after a few years of production before I'd get serious about buying one.

Besides that, waiting a couple more years would confirm whether or not BMW offers up a 6er 4 door sedan like some other threads eluded to. If the production version is anything close to the pics that were published, it would be worth the wait.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Besides that, waiting a couple more years would confirm whether or not BMW offers up a 6er 4 door sedan like some other threads eluded to. If the production version is anything close to the pics that were published, it would be worth the wait.
Take a look here.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
Take a look here.
I see

Lets just hope that the car will perform more like the 5er and not the 7er.....

oh DAMN!!! the article states that an M version could be in the mix!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 550i, Black Saphire, Black Nappa leather, Anthracite headliner, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg #2, Sport Pkg, Sport Auto, delivered 6/24/10 2011 X5 xDrive 35i Sport Activity, Black Sapphire, Black Nappa, Convenience Pkg. M Sport Pkg, Technology Pkg. Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Premium hi-fi system, delivered 4/26/10 Previous BMWs 2006 550i 2001 330ci 2003 745Li 2000 M5 2000 540i

Couldn't agree more. I very much care about BMW's products and product development direction.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this