F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by tadtaggert
I just spent about 4 months determining what my next car would be, bought it yesterday and it was the F10 550i.

Decision was based on driving the cars. The F10 is larger and heavier, and if I was restricted to choosing a 535i or some other make, I would probably go with something other than the 535i. Point being, take the time to actually drive the F10 550i. It feels different, it is different.... imo at least with the larger engine this is one they got right, dead on right.

Absolutely true! I initially didn't want to get a V8-powered car, and was trying to decide between the F10 535i and Audi A6 3.0T....and leaning towards the Audi near the end, but after test-driving the F10 550i, I found heaven!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well if you're talking about F10 520 vs. E60 528/530, then the F10 is at a disadvantage due to the extra weight and lesser engine output. But the lap times of the F10 535 and E60 535i, as seen in an earlier thread, are roughly similar despite the extra weight in the F10. Now I'd be willing to bet that the F10 550i will pull ahead performance-wise from the E60 550i, but we won't know for sure until actual test results come out. However, I can tell you that from my own experience so far in my 550i, it is the fastest and most capable 5 series I've ever driven outside of a M5. This is why I tell people who want to get a F10 to get the 550i if possible because you get the best of both worlds--sport and luxury.
In my earlier thread, the E60 535d was roughly similar on performance with the F10 535i on track although it has slower acceleration (0-100 kph 6.4 s to 6.1 s). The E60 had better slalom speed than the F10. Consequently, we would expect the E60 535i to be faster on track than the F10 535i (0-100 kph of 5.7 s to 6.1 s). Both the E60 and F10 535i engines have the same 300 hp and the same torque with the new TwinPower F10 engine having wider torque curve. So on the basis of the same engine specs, the E60 would be faster.

The reason the F10 550i would be faster than the E60 550i on the track as you correctly mentioned is the difference in engine. The new 4.4 TwinPower Turbo engine provides 400 hp and 450 lb.ft, while the old 4.8 naturally aspirated provided only 360 hp and 360 lb.ft. Handling is not about which car has the more hp, it is about which car is able to tolerate more lateral force (g force) in corners, and slalom speeds as well.

I know that your 550i with Dynamic Handling Package must be a great car no doubt. This is a fact that I can't argue about. I have only driven the 528i here, I am sure that your car would be a much better car.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

By the way, I love your avatar! I alway wanted to go to Cairo and see the pyramids just once in my lifetime. I love ancient history, especially Egyptian history. I love that new show, Chasing Mummies, on the History Channel!....It's the Best! Have you ever met Dr. Hawwas, the famous Egyptian archeologist?
Thanks Pete, that was my Alfa 156 in the Avatar by the way.

Actually I know Dr. Zahy Hawas son, Karim. I always eat at his restaurant in downtown. Unfortunately, I have never met Dr. Hawwas in person, he is a great guy I agree .

Now if you want to come to Cairo anytime then now you have your host there. I can take you around Cairo and show you the pyramids and the museum as well, whcih has the largest number of artifacts in the world. Of course that will be in my E60 .
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 525i LCI - saphire black on black dakota leather, dark poplar wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6230i bluetooth + cradle, rain sensor, A/C with extended features, extended lights package, PDC, rear power sunshade, AUX Jack, steptronic, M-Tech steering wheel, 10 Airbags, smokers package, DSC, interior and exterior mirror with anti-dazzel function, business radio; power folding mirrors Mods: iPOD (OEM), BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat, ///M Aerodyamics kit (OEM), 18" rims style 184 (OEM), 245/45 R18 93Y Contisport, ///M boot-lid spoiler (OEM), OEM Headlight washer system Future Mods: Solaris Invisibulbs - Amber Flash all-round; LED interior kit; LED License Plate; The Mrs.: 2009 e90 320i LCI - Carbon Black, Beige leather interior, Dark Poplar Wood, moonroof, cruise control, electric seats with memory, nokia 6233 bluetooth + cradle, extended lights package, rear power sunshade, NEW I-DRIVE with HDD + 2USB Slots +AUX Jack, steptronic, DSC, Smokers package, business radio Mods:BMW OEM floor mats, BMW OEM trunk mat The cars were manufactured in Egypt! :)

Ahem,i HATE the looks of it, but honestly, after the test drive, it is a BABE to ride....

test drive it and you will definitely agree with me.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
In my earlier thread, the E60 535d was roughly similar on performance with the F10 535i on track although it has slower acceleration (0-100 kph 6.4 s to 6.1 s). The E60 had better slalom speed than the F10. Consequently, we would expect the E60 535i to be faster on track than the F10 535i (0-100 kph of 5.7 s to 6.1 s). Both the E60 and F10 535i engines have the same 300 hp and the same torque with the new TwinPower F10 engine having wider torque curve. So on the basis of the same engine specs, the E60 would be faster.

The reason the F10 550i would be faster than the E60 550i on the track as you correctly mentioned is the difference in engine. The new 4.4 TwinPower Turbo engine provides 400 hp and 450 lb.ft, while the old 4.8 naturally aspirated provided only 360 hp and 360 lb.ft. Handling is not about which car has the more hp, it is about which car is able to tolerate more lateral force (g force) in corners, and slalom speeds as well.

I know that your 550i with Dynamic Handling Package must be a great car no doubt. This is a fact that I can't argue about. I have only driven the 528i here, I am sure that your car would be a much better car.
There are mistakes in assumptions and analysis made, see other thread https://5series.net/forums/topic/101...0/page__st__15
Old 07-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bm323
There are mistakes in assumptions and analysis made, see other thread https://5series.net/forums/topic/101...0/page__st__15
Well, that is your own opinion. And I respect it
Old 08-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi- Alpine White, Natural Brown Interior, Sport Pack, Premium Pack, Comfort Access, 20 way Multi-contor seats, Navigation, 18" rims, Cold Weather Pack

Originally Posted by TakmaN
What everyone seems to point out is that maybe the F10 will grow on us like the E60 did (which a lot of us thought was fugly when it was introduced).

However, there is one HUGE fallacy with this logic:
-The E60 styling was "out there", modern, and ahead of its time VS the F10 styling which seems to go backwards and is more conservative.

Personally, I can learn to fall in love with a car that was totally re-designed and somewhat revolutionary and bold. But I can't on a car that was severely toned down and "blah-ed".

Sorry F10, but I don't think you will ever be sitting in my garage.
exactly i hate saying it because everyone thinks im jaded because i drive an e60. The e60 is different is sticks out you know its a BMW as you watch it down the road, the F10 and the seven series look like all the other cars on the road its too cookie cutter
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well, for me, I kind of hope the F10 takes a long while to catch on.....Right now, I like being the rare F10 among a sea of E60's and E39's out there.

Not to offend anyone, but to me, there's nothing unique about a design that's almost 8 years old. Yes, it was bold and daring for it's time but we live in a completely different world now. Yes, the F10 is not as daring as the E60 but that's the point....it reflects the time we live in today. We live in a unstable world. People nowdays gravitate towards things that are familar, stable, and secure. Retro is "in" like never before....look at all the music, movies, and other forms of entertainment and fashion nowdays. BMW purposely incorporated elements into the F10 which they know worked for them in the past....things people could recognize and are familiar with. But what's nice about the time we live in is that there are a lot of choices. If you don't like what you see, go with something else.

Bottom line though, is that, to me, the F10 is just a car. I don't work for BMW and I don't own their stock. It doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever if the F10 succeeds or not. I don't care if they don't sell a single F10 anymore. I just get to enjoy the heck out of my car for the next 3 years on this lease and then it's on to the next vehicle.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Contributors

Bottom line though, is that, to me, the F10 is just a car. I don't work for BMW and I don't own their stock. It doesn't affect me in any way whatsoever if the F10 succeeds or not. I don't care if they don't sell a single F10 anymore. I just get to enjoy the heck out of my car for the next 3 years on this lease and then it's on to the next vehicle.
And this is the difference between you and most members on the board and why bmw is absolutely in trouble, most of us here don't think our cars are "just a car" or that we could not care less about what happens to bmw or if they never sell another F10, and just passing time in a lease and waiting for it to run out and start looking for "something" in the next car ...we care about the direction the company takes, we care about the products it puts out and can be objective enough to criticize the poor decisions they make, we don't want them to lose the edge that has made non- enthusiasts like yourself want to buy one to gain some of the mystique that we've actually lived with their products. This car does not reflect the world we live in, it reflects a lost decade of ever expanding dimensions and is behind the curve of the real times we live in, time will tell who is right, but if not for the rise of China for bmw, the F10 would be a complete failure when sales are compared to the e60s and time will prove this true.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by m630
And this is the difference between you and most members on the board and why bmw is absolutely in trouble, most of us here don't think our cars are "just a car" or that we could not care less about what happens to bmw or if they never sell another F10, and just passing time in a lease and waiting for it to run out and start looking for "something" in the next car ...we care about the direction the company takes, we care about the products it puts out and can be objective enough to criticize the poor decisions they make, we don't want them to lose the edge that has made non- enthusiasts like yourself want to buy one to gain some of the mystique that we've actually lived with their products. This car does not reflect the world we live in, it reflects a lost decade of ever expanding dimensions and is behind the curve of the real times we live in, time will tell who is right, but if not for the rise of China for bmw, the F10 would be a complete failure when sales are compared to the e60s and time will prove this true.
I would think you're wrong here, but not because the F10 is any better car than you think.

BMW has stated pretty much that the 5's are now a balance of Sport and Luxury, a segment that they've not really had before. I think the real answer to this will be sometime after the M5 and the new 6's (including the four door) are out and you can see what the mix is then. 1-3-6 Sport is the priority with increasing amounts of luxury (and size) as you move up the scale, 5-7 for mid and full sized luxury, and all the others to fill niches.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this