F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember clearly back when I got my e60 I would read (this was in late 07 so it had been out awhile) but people were just sometimes not feeling it
and would say over and over how their e39 looked soo much better and how bad the e60 looked. To be honest I had no clue how they could think that and often thought they were just jelous or justifying it to themselves.

Well I eat my own words and thoughts as I look at the new F10 pictures that get posted on here every few days and all I can think of is lexus, nissan, plain..not aggressive... does not stand out over any other car on the vehicle. If you took the signature bmw grilles, emblems and maybe the convave bimmer wheels-the body looks like nothing other then a mix of a toyoto avalon and the hynduia genesis-or pick any other two lux sedans out there.

I am not ranting but I am saying NOTHINg else looks like an e60 out ther-nothing. Every part of it is out there aggrsesive and unique, much more futuristic design and to me looks like a newer model than the f10. I still feel the e39 is a hella nice car but it looks dated compared to the e60. I feel the f10 does nothing to date the e60 and I am actually really glad I like my car better since I bought it end of lease last year. I will be hard pressed to let it go in return for an F10-I will definetly not be going to the f10 for my next car-I am diggin audi styling more these days than any new bmw and depending on what they do with the engine in the next m3, that may be where I am headed in the 3 years more I will hang onto my e60.

One thing i cant stand is the HOOD! It is showing up on every single new bimmer and it looks the same as the current e90 (or close) and the pug nose grilles are too vertical, too big and too "square".

I also enjoy the interior of my e60 as it has NO buttons aside from the e60 knob, volume knob and < > arrows for the cd player. The LCI and now the f10 go for more and more buttons for the idiots who couldnt operate the I drive. That was the biggest joke. I literally sat down with i Drive for 5 minutes and played iwth it and had 90 percent of it down. It is so common sense.

Anyway I am super happy to have my e60. You 530 owners also have the last and most powerful of the BMW NA inline 6 engines (save the e46 m3 engine). That and the body style-I think we should be lucky to hang onto our e60s. Even the v8 guys-the N62 was a great NA v8 engine-to me it was more than enough power.

The f10 is just a fat pig and weighs WAY too much.

ok nuff said
Old 07-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

Pretty much agree with you on most of the points there.

I'm even honestly actually trying to convince myself into liking the new 5er, but it doesn't work.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

I saw the F10 at the dealership the other day. Not as bad as I thought, but it still needs a M kit. Also, I'm not thrilled about the road handling abilities of the new F10.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Coming soon...

Originally Posted by Diamond
I also enjoy the interior of my e60 as it has NO buttons aside from the e60 knob, volume knob and < > arrows for the cd player. The LCI and now the f10 go for more and more buttons for the idiots who couldnt operate the I drive. That was the biggest joke. I literally sat down with i Drive for 5 minutes and played iwth it and had 90 percent of it down. It is so common sense.
The E60 was ahead of it's time in both styling and technology. I think the reversion back to all the buttons is evidence that BMW wishes to appeal once again to the more conservative (old) among us. Don't forget, old people didn't grow up with computers the way we did. I too find the controls intuitive, (and often wish for more menus!), but my mom? Haha, I wouldn't trust her to operate iDrive while driving... Someone like my mom needs a button for each function, and in that regard the F10 delivers.

As for the styling... I think the styling will grow on you. Can you really think of a BMW you find totally ugly? Not if you're a fan like me. Yeah, the styling is more conservative now, but it still looks classy. Pretty soon you'll see the other marques copying the BMW styling just like they did with the "Bangle butt". I thought the F10 was wack at first too, but if you do what I did and use this as your wallpaper for a while I bet you change your mind...
Attached Thumbnails Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this-03_5_series_sedan_ext_wall.jpg  
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Contributors

I had an E39 (and an E34 M5 before that) and when the E60 came out, I remember the Fifth Gear test in 2003 and how they panned its looks and I couldn't agree more. I really didn't think I'd ever like it, let alone own one. This time I'm far less offended by the looks of the new one and I can fully imagine myself owning one in my future.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Jet Black 545i w/ sport pkg, nav, HUD

I didn't think I would ever say this, but...Chris Bangle please come back!! He was too ahead of his time, so now we have the edgeless F10. Looking back at his work, I didn't like everything he did(at least initially), but at least it was original and unique. Look at the f10 and the new 7 series and I find nothing unique about them. I hate how the noses look! Maybe it'll grow on me...
Will
Old 07-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

I bought my E60 after seeing the F10 at the car show. the F10 is a very nice luxurious, fancy, sedan. but, it's not the driver's car that the E60 is. a watered-down 'ultimate driving machine'. a 300-400 pound weight gain and an electronic steering is not a good thing for any "sporty" car.

the looks may grow on me.. one day. till that actually happens, i'll be happily cruising in my E60

and yes, i can think of a bmw that is totally fugly... the Z3M 'coupe'.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

I already voted with my wallet. I had both a 1997 and a 2004 5 series both were first bodystyle years and I loved them, I just couldn't pull the trigger on the F10 550.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Originally Posted by xenonrider
I bought my E60 after seeing the F10 at the car show. the F10 is a very nice luxurious, fancy, sedan. but, it's not the driver's car that the E60 is. a watered-down 'ultimate driving machine'. a 300-400 pound weight gain and an electronic steering is not a good thing for any "sporty" car.

the looks may grow on me.. one day. till that actually happens, i'll be happily cruising in my E60

and yes, i can think of a bmw that is totally fugly... the Z3M 'coupe'.

E60's have electronic steering too. Atleast mine does, and i love it, especially in parking lots....makes e39's feel large end bloated even though its a smaller car. But you're right, the 3-400pd weight gain is killer on the f10 no matter what you do. Long live the e60
Old 07-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

There are always going to be "pre-haters" (hope that's not too harsh a word), just like alot of people didn't like the E60 when it first came out. As mentioned earlier, it will grow on you and you will want it. While the F10 seem to take away from the sport feel, there are still a ton of people (buyers) who will get the new 5 series for it's luxurious "redesign". I have to admit though, my neighbor got a new F10 535 and that thing looks B-E-A-U-tiful!!

Quick Reply: Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this