F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Canadian F10 5-series full pricing list released

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dantheman
You really think BMW world headquarters planned something special to limit import in the Canadian market? Believe me it's a huge company and Canada a very small market for them...to make exceptions in design engineering or supply chain would not be cost efficient .. ..I don t think so ...talking about an hassle !!! They ll react like they did last time...Anyway they want to sell cars and it would not be a wise move if the competition doesn't limit them

As for the approval, all BMW models from 1995 to 2010 ( and those from their main competitors) are on the list. http://www.riv.ca/VehicleAdmissibility.aspx
I don't think the 2011 will be any different. Obviously it will have to be available in the USA and probably in Canada to have it confirmed and to import it.

8,000$ and 12,000$ for a 550i( conservatively and counting because the CAN$ is worth more than the greenback this morning!) is good enough for me. Its also about a principle. I'm sick of beeing short changed and paying more than in the USA for the same stuff..

JMHO
Well MB had a slight change in the bumper mount done for Canadian cars on the last SL that resulted in a $5,000 bill to correct for Canada. And they charged over $1,000 for the clearance certificate plus a fee to transfer the warranty. I agree that BMW is in the business of selling cars, but they have an obligation to their Canadian dealers to protect them from mass US imports. In the last go around, most of the manufacturers had a strategy to restrict demand for US cars. Honda and Chrysler wouldn't honor a US car warranty in Canada. BMW hasn't done this, but if the problem got serious enough, who knows. In the end, I am with you - I hate being ripped off by car manufacturers that charge substantially higher prices here for the same car sold in the USA. I'm just not sure the $5K is worth the hassle to me to import one. Given that this is a new model, I'm betting there will be issues to work out - and that might not be fun with a dealer who didn't get the sale.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

In my opinion, it's not worth the hassle to import a NEW car into Canada, because the modification costs for luxury cars are outrageous. The dealerships recognize that you probably have money and will nickel & dime you for everything and make it not easy for you to import. $500 - $1,000 for a certification letter from BMW Canada, $2,000 - $5,000 for a KM/h speedometer change or DRL activation, on and on it goes. Then when you try to sell the car, and you mention it's a US car, the buyer expects you to pass on the savings to them as well. Lastly, have fun bringing in a US car for a service appointment. I don't know how the atmosphere is out east, but out here in Alberta, all the dealers priority book Canadian BMW cars, and book US cars for appointments 2 month later.

I don't like the price parity between USA & Canadian BMWs, but I hate the hassles of importing an US car even more, so I'll pay to play. Look for my Space Gray 535i sometime soon
Old 04-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributors

I actually think the pricing went down a bit. a 535i was around 68k and a 550i was around 80k, the 2011 got cheaper I think.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
I actually think the pricing went down a bit. a 535i was around 68k and a 550i was around 80k, the 2011 got cheaper I think.
I think the base price is down, but optioned up with all of the available goodies, the car is more expensive than the outgoing model.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by blinkme_210
In my opinion, it's not worth the hassle to import a NEW car into Canada, because the modification costs for luxury cars are outrageous. The dealerships recognize that you probably have money and will nickel & dime you for everything and make it not easy for you to import. $500 - $1,000 for a certification letter from BMW Canada, $2,000 - $5,000 for a KM/h speedometer change or DRL activation, on and on it goes. Then when you try to sell the car, and you mention it's a US car, the buyer expects you to pass on the savings to them as well. Lastly, have fun bringing in a US car for a service appointment. I don't know how the atmosphere is out east, but out here in Alberta, all the dealers priority book Canadian BMW cars, and book US cars for appointments 2 month later.

I don't like the price parity between USA & Canadian BMWs, but I hate the hassles of importing an US car even more, so I'll pay to play. Look for my Space Gray 535i sometime soon
Blink, I agree. Time will tell though what adjustments might be made to Canadian prices. Porsche has just announced price adjustments for its models. the adjustments don't result in equal pricing but the $4,000 on a Boxter is a move in the right direction. maybe some of the other manufacturers will join in. I guess it depends on how well the cars sell and how much press there is. As to the 6.1% import duty to canada, BMWNA also pays a US import duty to get their cars into the USA, so they can't justify higher prices in Canada on that basis.