E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question about DPF Regen

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 04:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D
Default Question about DPF Regen

Afternoon everybody,

I currently drive an E60 2008 530D M Sport and for almost 2 weeks now I have been checking forums and searching for information with mixed results regarding the dreded issue around DPF. As I was driving the car the other day and got the message up on the iDrive about "'Particle Filter' possible to continue journey etc" I put my foot down a little and it rev'ed up above 2000 rpm so did not go into limp mode. I got a friend to plug in his reader and the following errors were showing up.
  • 480A
  • 481A
  • 4D00
First thing we checked was both thermostats, as the car would not get above 68c even sitting on the drive. Now they have been done and the car sits at a very happy 90c all day long which is great

It was taken out this morning once the errors were cleared hoping to get it to regenerate done, but it just did not want to do one so I was told, but looking more into it I think this possibly is due to the fact the fuel is just under a quarter of a tank of fuel. After about 20 minutes we got the same warning message back from the iDrive, so the scanner was plugged in and we are now only getting the following error codes, so I plan to get home later and fill up with fuel and go for a drive and see if it kicks in again.
  • 480A
  • 481A
What I just wanted to confirm is a couple of things with people about either trying to do an automatic Regen or failing that a manual one. I have access to a snapon OBD unit monitoring so can check the live data as we drive so can keep an eye on things.
  • Do I need to have more than a quarter of fuel in the tank, I think the answer is yes to this.
  • What temp should I see at the particulate filter when the regen kicks in. Some people are saying around the 500c mark? so far I have see the Cat gets upto around 300-340cc and I have seen the temp get to around 430c just before the particulate filter if this right?
  • What sort of back pressure should I be seeing when driving around 60pmh and 2000 rpm as im not sure how to check how full the
If it will not do an automatic regen, is it ok to use the software to force one while driving on the motorway if so anything I should watch out for?, I know I need to go for around 20-30 minute drive at a steady speed and have more than a quarter tank of fuel and the ECT is above 85c.

Sorry for all the question, just trying to get a better understanding for myself