E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Success - I replaced the microswitch (cost EUR 24) which took less than 15 minutes and I instantly knew that was it as I at once could operate the glass whereas manual operation before had ceased and the glass only opened whenever the car inconveniently decided to open the glass.... I'll post a pictorial how-to for those who need to follow the same operation.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

NavarroOne, I've missed updates in that tread. Sorry for not replying.
Good to hear your microswitch replecament was smooth. It seems you were lucky to remove the button without using brutal force. This was not the case for me and according to my BMW skilled friend, it's a rare case it can be removed easily, without cutting into the pieces.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Success - I replaced the microswitch (cost EUR 24) which took less than 15 minutes and I instantly knew that was it as I at once could operate the glass whereas manual operation before had ceased and the glass only opened whenever the car inconveniently decided to open the glass.... I'll post a pictorial how-to for those who need to follow the same operation.
Here's the how-to. I recommend anyone who have the "glass pops open on its own accord and glasslid button only works occasionally, or not at all" problem, to replace the microswitch at a cost of EUR 24 and 15 minutes work BEFORE spending hours trying to take the rear hatch apart in order to check the integrity of the wires. Let me know if you have any feedback to the pictorial.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pszyman
NavarroOne, I've missed updates in that tread. Sorry for not replying.
Good to hear your microswitch replecament was smooth. It seems you were lucky to remove the button without using brutal force. This was not the case for me and according to my BMW skilled friend, it's a rare case it can be removed easily, without cutting into the pieces.

Perhaps on different years? This one was straight forward and I note in other posts that those who went to a BMW dealer only had to wait 15 mins for the operation though I have no doubt they paid minimum 1 hour... The tricky part was pulling the wiper off the axle as it locks due to the conical shape of the axle but once you have an appropriate tool then that is a piece of cake and the two other nuts spin off easily. There is no need whatsoever to open/cut up the actual microswitch assembly; it just needs unplugging at the plug and then it slides off the axle; there are no locking mechanisms apart from the 24mm nut.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Members

Thanks for the great write-up, all I need to do now is order the part and then work out how to get the glass open!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Chris
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Henry's Dad
Thanks for the great write-up, all I need to do now is order the part and then work out how to get the glass open!

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Chris
Be sure you have the ball bearing puller tool as well.

As to the opening of the glass; just a thought: Once you've removed the two outside nuts and the wiper, the microswitch slides off and gives you access to the two wires. Perhaps - without responsibility!! - you might be able to cut these two wires over, take the insulation off and trip the opening of the glass by holding the wires together?? I stress I have not tried this and I don't know whether that might cause problems or may not even work but perhaps worth a try if you are at your wits end and ordering a new micro switch anyway?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Here's the how-to. I recommend anyone who have the "glass pops open on its own accord and glasslid button only works occasionally, or not at all" problem, to replace the microswitch at a cost of EUR 24 and 15 minutes work BEFORE spending hours trying to take the rear hatch apart in order to check the integrity of the wires. Let me know if you have any feedback to the pictorial.
Great Write up!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 AM
AJH
Members

Aw shucks, I love u guyz!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:04 AM
New Members

Thanks NavarroOne.

I've only been a member for 10 minutes and my problem is solved. Part awaiting collection tonight and I have an instruction manual in my back pocket. It restores your faith in humanity.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

you're so very welcome. This community is very powerful and I have felt equally thankful to other fellow bmw owners who have been kind enough to post their DIY's. I find it both fun and easy to work on the car as long as there are detailed pictorials like that.

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??