E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All those that have taken time to write-up these steps are pure diamonds. Thanks to all those and others too that have contributed.

My E61 tailgate window is popping open on set-off and reading this it looked initialy like the wiring issue, but first I will try the microswitch which to me looks like the culprit.

My '06 has only done 34k (miles) and doesn't have a heavily used tailgate, so hopefully the wiring problem won't surface for a while (even if eventually inevitable?)

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

I have a 2006 E61, where the following occurs:

My rear window heater stopped working, then after a month the rear wiper and rear washer stopped working.
I already replaced the microswitch, however that didnt solve the problem.
Furthermore I checked the wires in the harnesses on both Left and rear about a year ago. Some wires were broken (fog light).

Question that i have is: Does somebody know where the wires for rear window heater, rear wiper are located, so I can more easily locate the broken wires?

Thanks,

Rik
Old 12-30-2010, 12:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Rik, it sounds more as if you have a cable problem. Check the wiring underneath the rear spoiler - a weak point.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
AJH
Members

Originally Posted by rik_dutch
I have a 2006 E61, where the following occurs:

My rear window heater stopped working, then after a month the rear wiper and rear washer stopped working.
I already replaced the microswitch, however that didnt solve the problem.
Furthermore I checked the wires in the harnesses on both Left and rear about a year ago. Some wires were broken (fog light).

Question that i have is: Does somebody know where the wires for rear window heater, rear wiper are located, so I can more easily locate the broken wires?

Thanks,

Rik
Either the left or right hand hinge of the small glass window
Old 01-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW e61 2006 520d, chiptuned to 180 hp. 18" 124's

Thanks, that is what I figured. However I inspected the hinges on the outer side already last year. Then I was a bit scared to inspect the hinges for the small glass. The reason is, that I do not know how to inspect them. I think you have to take the small glass off, and it is mounted with spring loaded nuts.

Does anybody have here tips or tricks about how to inspect them. In the brilliant DIY earlier in this post, it is not mentioned either.

Thanks,

Rik

Originally Posted by AJH
Either the left or right hand hinge of the small glass window
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 535D touring with M-Sport paket

Speaking about this issue (tail window self opening, anti-freeze not working anymore, ...), it's now happening to mine also.

I passed by my BMW dealer, and the guy told me that there is a new existing wiring replacement kit (for a few months now), in replacement of an old expensive one. Price is around 60 to 80 euros, as far as he is remembering.

The installation is done by welding the wires. it's not a plug and play stuff. The guy told me that they use to charge one day manpower for the installation. I'll have mine done in a few weeks time, at the next maintenance appointment.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by Etienne76
Speaking about this issue (tail window self opening, anti-freeze not working anymore, ...), it's now happening to mine also.

I passed by my BMW dealer, and the guy told me that there is a new existing wiring replacement kit (for a few months now), in replacement of an old expensive one. Price is around 60 to 80 euros, as far as he is remembering.

The installation is done by welding the wires. it's not a plug and play stuff. The guy told me that they use to charge one day manpower for the installation. I'll have mine done in a few weeks time, at the next maintenance appointment.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Please do, this sounds interesting!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by narvselius
Please do, this sounds interesting!
+1 This would be the long awaited affordable OE alternative to breaking the bank for a new harness or try DIY'ing the issue.

Looking forward to more details, prices, SIB's etc. etc.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:58 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 530D, 2005

Looking forward to see more info on that but hard to believe it will make a difference comparing to DYI. If soldering is involved it must be a kind of wire extending process of some sort.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT: CPO purchase in 2008, used by a BMW exec previously, and like-new when I got it. Compared to my other cars, at first I thought it felt heavy and steering was too heavy. Now, I really enjoy driving it in town and on the freeway. On my

exactly what I was thinking. if it's only 80 Euros and involves soldering, I'd imagine it's just a wire bundle you have to splice in. if the BMW bean counters are at work, then it's the cheap version with a 2" bundle you have to solder on both ends. or, if they're splurging, a bundle you only have to solder on one end and the other end is long enough to get to the factory destination

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??