E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Clthomp
Reverse lights and number plate light are in right side ( drivers side). Rear defroster wire is in left side along with left hand side wires for left hand side lights. Just replaced rhs in our 525. All cables in loom were broken.
This isn't correct, Left lights have there cables on the left and right lights have then on the right. This goes for all the lights even the licence plate lights are split in left and right.
The defroster is in both sides.

Pritty sure there is no no difference for left en right handed cars, that would be stupid .
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

Not totally true, ALL my lights run through the right hand gromit - the left hand only has the washer pipe and a couple of other wires from the diversity unit...
Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
Not totally true, ALL my lights run through the right hand gromit - the left hand only has the washer pipe and a couple of other wires from the diversity unit...
You are talking about the hinges of the glass window, no lights are there. only cables of the diversity antenna / washer and defroster are in those.

Light are in the hinges of the tailgate and are split in left and right, there simply isn't enough space to get all the wires of the lights in one
Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525 2004 M54 Auto

I had similar problems to the ones described on this thread, tail gate glass wont open, rear wiper motor does not work, reversing light out, tail light out, high level brake light partially working. I thought I would check out the suspect wiring harness. well after several hours of crawling around in the boot I checked the wiring and there were cracks in the insulation of several wires but they had not completely split. I repaired the insulation and put everything back together. I then removed the boot spoiler to check the high level brake light. this has only 6 led's working. unfortunately there is just one plug which connect to the unit so I guess I need to replace this with new. I managed to sort out all of the other problems one by one. the reversing light was a new bulb, the tail light was a new bulb, the wiper motor had seized where it goes through the glass - low grade aluminium parts had corroded. about a gallon of WD40 later and everything is free and working fine. not sure how I managed to fix the tailgate glass but this is also working now? hapypy with the end result though. just need to source the replacement high level brake light.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

Check the wires for the third brake light again. My third brake light was only lit up in the left side (3-4 LED's), so I got a new LED bar, and guess what - it didn't solve the problem. I then checked the cables on the right side, and some of them was worn pretty bad. I'll try to fix it when the weather gets better.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 525 2004 M54 Auto

Hi when I took the led light out there was only one plug which connected the whole unit? What wires do I need to check for left or right side? Is it possible to take the led unit apart to check internal connections? I did notice a few more leds come on when I banged on the roof which suggests a loose internal connection somewhere?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

Done mine today..... It had 4 broken wires and 4 with broken insulation on the right hand loom and 2 broken wires and 6 broken insulation on the left hand loom
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Wow... Unbelievable how bad they are.

Did you take a pic of the "fixed" version? Can't recall how people have been fixing theirs...
Old 02-17-2013, 12:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525d M-sport,19" staggered style 95 wheels,custom quad exhaust with modified reiger rear bumper insert,LCI front and rear lights,stage 2 custom remap, DPF removed, cat removed

No i didn't take a pic of finished loom but all i did was to solder the broken wires and re-insulated the split ones with the correct fibre tape

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??