E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 520D Motorsport

Having same problem with alarm and thought I had successfully repaired all 4 wiring looms. ...

@Tmoore...Which colour cable powers up the diversity ariel as the alarm still won't work????

FYI there is a mechanical overide to open the glass section of the tailgate....could post a pic if anyone requires info......
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 AM
New Members

Sorry. I don't know what color the power wire was--I had the work done in a shop. Didn't do it myself.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 E61 525d MSPORT

Have you checked your fuses? Theres a 15a orange one that is linked to the diversity unit in the boot of the car

Originally Posted by sjbmw
Having same problem with alarm and thought I had successfully repaired all 4 wiring looms. ...

@Tmoore...Which colour cable powers up the diversity ariel as the alarm still won't work????
Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 535d E61 Touring 2008

I am having similar issues with my rear indicators ( both sides ) but intermittent, could this be caused by the hinge wiring harness breaks ? or any other ideas please.
When they do work it looks like one vertical strip of LED's are only just lighting up, with the rest working properly ?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by amcamc
I am having similar issues with my rear indicators ( both sides ) but intermittent, could this be caused by the hinge wiring harness breaks ? or any other ideas please.
When they do work it looks like one vertical strip of LED's are only just lighting up, with the rest working properly ?
Rear indicators are not on the tailgate it can't be the tailgate harness
Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM
New Members

Thanks Tom
I'll try a new light as all the wires appear to be connected and sound, after that possibly the light control module ??
Don't fancy taking it to the dealers to identify the problem -
I love the car though, just a few niggles to sort out
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520D Motorsport

Sorry for late reply....

@Tmoore....thx for reply....

@bop6k ....I found the blown fuse which was a 5amp....silly mistake thou...all is working fine now although the alarm did'nt work strainght after replacing the fuse....I had to drive it for a few minutes.....thx...

guna seal the diversity cover with some flashing tape and maybe put some silica inside incase it does get damp in there......

also noticed the acceleration and MPG has improved since repairing the harness.....

Last edited by sjbmw; 05-24-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:00 AM
New Members

Just to update, sorry its a bit off topic, but just changed my rear left light and all now seems to be working well.
Bit of an expensive fix just for an indicator though !! ( £ 160 )
Would anyone be interested in buying the old light as it only needs 1 strip of LED's replaced, but I think it is beyond my soldering skill level.
I know some people have disassembled and rebuilt these lights.
Thanks for a great forum
Loving my 535d touring ��
Old 07-21-2013, 11:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61 520d '07

Originally Posted by sjbmw
FYI there is a mechanical overide to open the glass section of the tailgate....could post a pic if anyone requires info......
Hi, I'd *LOVE* to hear about this... Mine doesn't open electrically any more so I am looking for ways of opening it without damaging it.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d touring

Oh such problems, BMW be ashamed.

Been thru all the tailgate harness repairs twice, broken wires as normal, all repaired and assembled with extra care. Still get "Right Hand Number Plate Light Failure" checked wiring again, no breaks but still no power to light. Traced the harness back to the huge loom in the boot above battery, no power at the point, brown earth leads check OK, small Grey/Black cable, no breaks, what the hell is going on????

Anyone any ideas as I'm starting to pull my hair out and planning a trip to Munich to maybe park outside a certain factory gate, see how they like that.

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??