E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E61 530 xit, panoramic, comfort access, heated seats, sport, xenon

For all US E61 owners, please file a vehicle complaint at NHTSA:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

I just submitted mine:

"I discovered failures of multiple wires in the tailgate/rear window wiring harnesses. Through research online I have found this is a common problem with this vehicle over several model years - search for BMW E61 tailgate wiring problems. The failures are caused by a poor design where the wires entering the hinge guides (4) for the glass and tailgate are repeatedly flexed at a sharp angle until the insulation, then the copper wire breaks.
Safety issues - possible electrical short circuit leading to fires (highest load is for rear defroster); lighting failures (rear high brake light, license plate lamps and others); reduced visibility due to loss of wiper/washer/defroster; rear glass latch opening while underway, possibly resulting in loss of cargo or ingress of exhaust fumes.
This is not an easily repaired problem. It would be beyond the capabilities of all but a skilled mechanic with proper tools. I discovered it when the remote lock/unlock using the key fobs failed. As I investigated I found the broken wire, along with several others with broken insulation, some with broken copper strands."
Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Can a recall be issued for an out of warranty car too? What are the odds, if the last MY in the US was a 2010?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 530 xit, panoramic, comfort access, heated seats, sport, xenon

@Lotus99 - I just received an advance recall notice for my 2007 for a seat pad for the airbag system, so I guess the answer to your question is 'yes'.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xi Sportwagon

Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. Just bought a 08 535xi wagon with a 7/07 build date to replace a totaled M5.

Just wanted to add that my rear wiper no longer works... going to start with fuses and move to wiring. I can't thank you all enough for providing all the useful information.

Also, PLEASE, file a complaint at NHTSA!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

For reference and due to me having to make a 2nd repair within 2 years - I re-attacked the glass loom on the right hand side with some 22AWG sized silicone cable for the main thin wires, and used 14AWG for the red/white thick cable, I also replaced the brown cable from the left hand side of the glass loom.

Next job is the coax that also runs through the left hand side (with the brown W heater cable and the washer fluid pipe) - I'm presuming this is shot due to a rubbish radio signal.

Oh how I love my E61 - never a dull day.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61, 2004 525i
Red face Rear wiring loom problems

I was wondering if there are any new posts (after 2009) on this subject, and therefore any new solutions, as Ive found wiring loom repair kits now on Ebay and was wondering if anyone has used them, or any YouTube or manual on how to fix.
Secondly has BMW ever accepted responsibility for poor design, in any way like a free kits and labour paid for through BMW dealer, documented, as in current law that makes them responsible for complete replacement.
My BMW E61 525i 2004 touring has developed a whole gambit of sensor/reported problems over last year, showing fog and rear lights not working when they are, read tailgate lock not working, glass tailgate not opening, even radio reception not working, reporting self leveling not working.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E61, 2004 525i
Red face Rear wiring loom replacement kit

Have found both NSR and OSR kit here

BMW 5 Series E61 04 N s R Tailgate Loom Wiring Harness Repair Kit New German | eBay

has anyone used these and/or have the manual on how to replace these.

BTW in no way am I suggesting anyone buys these kits or visits EBay to do so, I dont want to break any 5Series rules.

Kev.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

For US market, is there a way to just get this wiring loom from RealOEM or somewhere and DIY?
Old 01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

The seller in the Ebay link in the post above yours ships to the US...

Also, check out posts 146 and 147 in this thread, and I recall I started a thread about this last year, so search for it under my name. There was some info in there too.

Good luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

I don't see why you'd pay all that money for a new loom that will most likely do the same again eventually. You might aswell get some proper silicone wire and do it yourself. Your going to have to take the car apart anyway to fit that loom so why not just buy some wire - pointless waste of money

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??