E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 1Animal1
I don't see why you'd pay all that money for a new loom that will most likely do the same again eventually. You might aswell get some proper silicone wire and do it yourself. Your going to have to take the car apart anyway to fit that loom so why not just buy some wire - pointless waste of money

I'll be getting into this repair soon and will let the forum know how it goes. Thank you for the information!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Norsecar, if that's all you're going to do, and you're not inclined to tackle it yourself, I'm sure your stereo shop could even do it, since it's just wiring work.

And I'm guessing that's where they ran the wires for your rear backup camera thru, so they should be familiar with taking it apart. On that note, do you know how they ran its wires?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

Originally Posted by J_K
Have you checked the other side??
Checked the other side today. I felt It was way more difficult than the other side. The brown cabel was broken off. After fixing this, heating in rear window works!!!

But, FM-signals is still pretty bad......
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_1386.jpg   Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_1387.jpg   Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-img_1388.jpg  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 AM
J_K
New Members

My Ride: 530D Touring

The aerial coax goes through the left hand hinge too.
The coax might be broken.Tricky to test continuity of that.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:04 AM
Members

I have had FM reception problems for the past 15 months and have pretty much given up...
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535d E61 Touring

Thanks to everyone who has posted detail information on this over the years!

I too have the same problem on E61 535d Touring 2005.

Over a year ago the licence plate bulb failed, and it turned out to be due to the wiring. I had the local indy garage fix it. They patched a few of the wires in the RHS downgoing cable guide.

Recently the button to open the rear glass started to get hard to open. I had the garage replace the microswitch. This definitely needed doing - the rubber had a small hole in it and the flexible part of the switch had corroded a bit. The new button is great, but now its failed again, and it seems to be the wiring. I say this because - switch will not open the glass, BUT sometimes activating the rear wipe/washer will open the glass!

Seems the repair job of the wires done so far is poor (not properly soldered or sealed with heatshrink and not put back into a single loom). However, i'm not sure if the problem is there, or in the RHS upgoing part. I really want to avoid getting the glass locked shut. Going to try to have a go tomorrow...
Old 04-06-2014, 06:53 AM
New Members

Just did this repair yesterday. The guides that hold the wires are a total PITA, but other than that, found some broken wires, repaired, and now I have working remotes, and the comfort access is back!

If you are experiencing the same issues, it was an easier fix then I was anticipating. Just go for it!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

How much time would you say a first timer to this project should allow to open up and do a few wires on both sides?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Senior Members

Default Third brake light wiring?

Originally Posted by E60Sim
Check the wires for the third brake light again. My third brake light was only lit up in the left side (3-4 LED's), so I got a new LED bar, and guess what - it didn't solve the problem. I then checked the cables on the right side, and some of them was worn pretty bad. I'll try to fix it when the weather gets better.
I've noticed recently that the lights on the left side of my third brake light are dim, and I was thinking maybe the LED's were on their way out, but now having bumped into this post, makes me wonder if I have the dreaded harness issue?

A year ago, while still under warranty fortunately, my rear defrost stopped working, and right away (thx to having read this thread) I suspected that's what it was, which the dealer confirmed and fixed. They said they checked both hinges and all were ok.

1 - Anyone know which side the third brake light wires go thru?

2 - Has anyone posted a diagram / link to which wires are in which side hinge, and what each wire's function is? I don't recall seeing it here, which would be critical, and I've seen it asked many times.

The closest I have come to it was in a German document, on pages 17 and 26 of which, seems to have the colours of each wire, but not descriptions. I'm thinking their descriptions might be scattered thru the document:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktio...hmentId=721111

OOH! Came up with an ingenious idea! Got Google to translate the above document, but it still doesn't seem to have descriptions of each pin/wire:

TRANSLATED
Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM
J_K
New Members

My Ride: 530D Touring

The brake light goes through the right hand hinge but it's only 2 wires. You have to pop the connector off to remove the spoiler from the car.
I'd say your brake light is on it's way out..

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??