E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Tailgate wiring harness replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523 Touring 2006, 328 Coupé 1999

I fixed my RHO side yesterday. This is how the old one looked when I pulled it out through the speaker. Was so shocked I had to go get the camera. Maybe you can see the color of the wires. Note- the blue one to the left is not part of the harness.
<br> By the way, I replaced it with a polyurethane harness (-40C - +80C). It didn't match the colors, just had to be careful to take notes on one side and match accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails Tailgate wiring harness replacement??-right_outer_side_9.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

Does anyone know if BMW upgraded the harness / how it works to prevent this in any of the later years? Specifically 2010? (crossing fingers)

At least on the panoramic sunroof drain tubes they did...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 520SE

The story so far...BMW have fitted a repair loom including a new co-ax cable (Which entails removing the passenger seat & rear seat!) tried to bill me for over £1600 & have told me that BMW have given over £1000 of goodwill too. Guess what? The frigging radio still isn't working properly & they scratched both sides of my rear bumper (Fender for you Yanks) so it's going back in again on Saturday for another week! They've had the car for longer than I have now!!!
By the way I paid £1000 in the end which included oil, oil filter & pollen filters service & they've agreed that they won't be charging me any more as they told me that they'd fixed the radio. This has to be the most expensive radio in BMW's history, over £2k so far & counting!
Old 11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Members

Anyone have experience with battery draining issues with broken tail gate wires?
I have a E61 with new battery, and still battery draining warning, and now the rear wiper have stopped..
Old 11-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535 xi - M Sport Pkg & other goodies

I noticed lately our tailgate doesn't shut flush on the driver's side, I don't know if it's the hydraulic arm, or the latch (which apparently rotates to pull the hatch in). I found when it's not shut properly, the car thinks it's open, and the next day we came to turn the car on, the battery drained warning was on.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi Sports Wagon
Default Replace wiring harness, hinge on trunk lid

I found a site that has the E61 wiring harness (all 4 ???) available for sale. Can someone help me figure out whether I need to purchase all 4 and if I only need one or two, which should I purchase?

Rep. wiring harness, hinge on trunk lid Stock Code: 61119231820 $ 158.92

Rep. wiring harness, hinge on trunk lid Stock Code: 61119231821 $ 127.14

Repair kit for plug with travel stops Stock Code: 61119241656 $ 61.38

Repair kit for plug with travel stops Stock Code: 61119241657 $ 61.38
Old 11-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Impos to tell without knowing what your problem is.

There are 4 and all can have the same problem.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
New Members

Hello!
I believe I also have problem with the tailgate wiring on my two cars.

I have one -08 E61 where the rear window is not longer possible to open. I am quite sure it is the wiring that is causing my problems. But, how is it possible to fix the wiring when I am not able to open the rear window? Is it possible to open the rear window in any way so I can fix the wiring on my car?

On my other one, -10 E61, the remote keys has stopped working and comfort access is not longer working either. I suspected it could be the diversity antenna amplifier, but I just opened it and it is dry and looking as if new. Can this be caused by broken wiring as well..?

Thank you for your help!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Senior Members

"Is it possible to open the rear window in any way so I can fix the wiring on my car?"
Yes, this is possible,, you have to remove the plastic panels on the inside of the rear gate and access a special "button" of the glass lock with a screwdriver. There is a thread on this with pictures - search for it.

"On my other one, -10 E61, the remote keys has stopped working and comfort access is not longer working either. I suspected it could be the diversity antenna amplifier, but I just opened it and it is dry and looking as if new. Can this be caused by broken wiring as well..?"
I think yes, in this case it is posssible.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:23 PM
New Members

Default Remote locking problem

Originally Posted by tmoore
Thanks for all the good discussion above. It comes at a good time for me. My 2007 530xi wagon (87K miles) started showing "right backup lamp malfunction" warning a couple months ago. Then last week, the remote locking buttons on the key fob stopped working (a new key did not solve the problem). Then for the last couple days, when I turn the car on, the radio has defaulted to OFF and the station to one particular FM station.

I took it to my BMW dealer yesterday. They said it would take about 14 hours (run new wires, take out the roof liner, disassemble the tailgate) and about $2,000. They made it seem like this was a new problem to them. Maybe they should have stopped counting their money long enough to Google the problem. In 1 second they would have found this forum and this great thread.

I'm planning to take it to an independent mechanic next week. And I will direct him to this forum for your advice.

Here's my question. Do the wires for the right backup lamp and for the remote locking run in the same harness or does this sound like it might be both right-side harnesses? And what color are those wires?

Thanks.
In follow-up to my message from a couple weeks ago, an indy mechanic checked the wiring harnesses near the right tailgate hinge. The outside one had a couple broken wires. He cut out a 8 inch section of all the wires, soldered in new wires, and that fixed the back-up lamp malfunction. But not the problem with unable to lock the car from the key fob.

I went to a second indy mechanic (Boston Motor Werks in Belmont MA). They are former BMW shop mechanics and have all the BMW diagnostics. They said the battery was failing and that was probably the reason for the radio station weird behavior. And they thought the remote locking issue was due to a faulty antenna diversity module. They replaced both the battery and the diversity module. Now the radio and locks work great.

Quick Reply: Tailgate wiring harness replacement??