E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='556352' date='Apr 4 2008, 09:26 PM
When I looked mine there's no way for me to check 'cuz it uses hard plastic cylinder/tube unlike the rubber boot upfront, but is there any evidence the rear been sittin' on the bump stop?
You want evidence? I shall provide it. First off, that black plastic tube pulls down with the bump stop, with the car on jack stands. The tube is kind of "connected" to the stop, hanging off the bottom-third on the "hour-glass" shaped section. About an inch of the stop is hidden underneath of it and the other 2 inches are above it. I believe it is supposed to be connected for enabling access to the stops as well as for the dust prevention, because I couldn't budge it off.

So, I cut off 1.25" of stop, leaving me with 1.75"...more than enough left. And then I did similar measurements as I did in the front to deduce whether I was indeed riding on them. My "post-cut" rear strut travel, fully compressed, is now an entire inch. The piece of bump stop I cut off was 1.25"....you do the math. The bumps were pretty much stuck to strut "roof" from being compressed since July. As an added bonus, the rear should get a nice quarter-inch extra drop from this as well.

Tomorrow, I just might have to cut another 0.25" off the fronts depending on how it looks now. I am pretty happy though, and I will be very curious to see if my comfort returns...will advise. If this doesn't work, I give up and will be looking for a new 550i. I should probably condense this thread and add a DIY for future folks.

Before and after below, rear right.
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-img_0105.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-img_0107.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-img_0111.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-img_0117.jpg  
Old 04-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Ok, so today's update:

I am looking good in the rear with plenty of room now.

As for the fronts, I checked them since cutting them last week, and the front end still seemed to be sitting on or very close to the stops. I couldn't budge it under full compression. So, I cut off another 1/4" inch or so, and that is as far as I can do, with only about 1.25" of stop left.

After checking the strut travel, I have about 1/2" of clearance finally. I took it for a short ride, and there is definite improvement in the rears....big time! No more thumping under my seat, and I can actually feel and even hear the struts compressing over bumps. We'll see how it goes once I am on the highway doing 80.

I snapped an "after" pic of today's clearance after my 2nd cut to the fronts.
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6199.jpg  
Old 04-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder why don't you remove them completely and put some aftermarket bump stops then? You don't need to de-assemble the struts because they have a "cut" so you can pass them through the strut axle. They are slim enough (about 1/2") You can put 1 piece or 2 if you want, on top of the protection boot.

Here it is

http://cgi.ebay.de/Federwegsbegrenzer-BMW-5er-E34-E39-Mini-hi_W0QQitemZ230236337142QQihZ013QQcategoryZ40192QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
Old 04-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='556625' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:52 PM
I wonder why don't you remove them completely and put some aftermarket bump stops then? You don't need to de-assemble the struts because they have a "cut" so you can pass them through the strut axle. They are slim enough (about 1/2") You can put 1 piece or 2 if you want, on top of the protection boot.

Here it is

http://cgi.ebay.de/Federwegsbegrenzer-BMW-...bayphotohosting
Thanks for the info. It sounds like a good idea, especially for the fronts. I will check it out. Hey, it's all in German!

Also, some comparison pics below.

Pic 1) Last July, one week after lowering
Pic 2) Yesterday, 1 hour after lowering off jack stands; rear bumps stops cut 1.25" (car was on jack stands for 20 hours)
Pic 3) Today...Got some extra drop after settling overnight! This confirms, visually as well, that I was indeed riding on my stops. NO LONGER!
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6210.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn5813.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-img_0094.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Dayyyyummm! Someone is pimpin' around Pitt these days!

Looks great Dave! Who cares how it drives now...the car looks SWEEEEET!
Old 04-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='557064' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:18 PM
Dayyyyummm! Someone is pimpin' around Pitt these days!

Looks great Dave! Who cares how it drives now...the car looks SWEEEEET!
Thanks, C! I hope it doesn't look like a pimp-mobile, though! Speaking of pimp-mobiles...am anxiously awaiting the all-new Calton-Mobile pix...get on it!

I had to remove a picture from the prior thread & add it here, along with a few others...taken today after a good claying and Rejex'ing. BTW, this forum' system doesn't seem to arrange pics in order when I upload.
Attached Thumbnails Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6222.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6225.jpg   Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...-dscn6230.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

So D. what's the verdict?

No doubt the car look even better... w/ even proper drop... how's the ride on the rear after the cut?
Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='557072' date='Apr 6 2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks, C! I hope it doesn't look like a pimp-mobile, though! Speaking of pimp-mobiles...am anxiously awaiting the all-new Calton-Mobile pix...get on it!

I had to remove a picture from the prior thread & add it here, along with a few others...taken today after a good claying and Rejex'ing. BTW, this forum' system doesn't seem to arrange pics in order when I upload. Get on that, Rudy!
Pix are coming soon D. Just waiting on a few items and then I'll be set.

As for the pix, you should stack them after you upload them, so you don't have to scroll to the right. And yes, you can choose what order you want them to fall in. Just know the name of each pic and place it in the order you want it. I do it all the time.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='557929
So D. what's the verdict? No doubt the car look even better... w/ even proper drop... how's the ride on the rear after the cut?
As for the verdict on the ride, Blastiwi, I just did a 20 mile drive, and all I can say is "WOWOWEE!" I got it up to 80 on the highway for a short distance and even hit some rough, patched potholes on a bad section, and the struts did their job! I am no longer bouncing along, thumping or bumping like someone's under my seat kicking me in the ass. I did, however, hit an uneven section of road going only 25mph, and it hit pretty hard in the front, but what can I expect on 1.25" of bump stop. Overall, I am very pleased to have shocks again...what difference they make, duh! I don't feel any vibration either in the steering wheel or wherever, so I guess I am cured! It ain't the perfect ride, but it will do until my next one!

I guess I never really noticed before, but when I used to stop hard at a red light, my front-end never really dipped like it should from the momentum. No strut travel = no possible dip. It should have been an obvious sign that something was amiss. Now, I am happy to report that the front does dip at red lights. Oh, the little joys in life!

DIY BUMP CUT: The take-home-message for those xi owners out there who want to drop your ride on H&R Sport springs: Cut your bump stops down to final length of 1.25"-1.5" in FRONT and to no less than 2" in the REAR...or replace them with after-market stops to these lengths. This should solve or prevent anyone having issues of riding on the stops.

Thanks for all of the replies. I hope now I can finally start enjoying my ride after almost 1 year of dealing with this "hidden" problem.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Glad you have it worked out and are able to help others that may have the same problems!

Quick Reply: Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...